Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 XV crosstrek

47K views 104 replies 48 participants last post by  rover4x4 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right subforum for this kind of post, but have you guys heard about the new model called a xv crosstrek? it's based off the impreza platform but is a compact crossover vehicle. It's supposed to debut at the new york auto show. I think it looks like it's going to be a pretty neat car. I'm excited to read more about it. What do you guys think?

#86 ·
Looked at the crosstrek this weekend. They had ONE at the dealer here, and it was sold, so I couldn't drive it. I was not impressed at this model. It seemed to me like a cut-off version of a Gen 3 Outback. I am 6'5 300 lbs and I could not hardly fit in it.

Needless to say, we ended buying a 2013 Legacy. That thing has room!!!

#87 ·
I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed in the estimated EPA of the XV. 24/30 for a 2.5l OB vs. 25/33 for the 2.0l lighter and smaller XV. If the XV had the 2.5 I'd say those numbers would be pretty good, but with the 2.0 I'd hope for better.

Having said that, I'm sure many people will buy & like the XV. But I think it's appeal over the OB has as much to do with styling (i.e., it's clearly not an SUV & it looks small, while the OB looks big & more like an SUV) and, possibly, the sportiness, as it does with economy. It's just not that much better than the OB from a gas mileage perspective, IMO.

But having options is a good thing.

#88 ·
A friend and I had lunch earlier this week. He purchased an XV Crosstrek. Pretty rare in this area. It's an automatic (CVT), he would have liked a manual but he needed something his wife could drive too. It's a pretty nice vehicle. Reminded me a lot of our 97" OB in some respects. I drove it only a short distance, first time with the CVT. Not too bad, it was just odd not having shift points. I snapped a few pics:

https://plus.google.com/photos/109512727678539949818/albums/5824885329231969169

We had some snow this week, he said it did very well in the white stuff.

#90 ·
Not really. These engines aren't exactly over-stressed. Subie's engines just aren't the super-most-fuel-efficient engines, and the full-time AWD doesn't help mpg at all.

The comparison between these cars' mpg ratings reminds me of the trade-offs between 'compact' and full-size pickups. There's hardly any difference in price or mpg, so it's tough to not automatically take a full-size.

#91 ·
I got 30mpg on the computer on about 80/20% highway/city split driving to NJ over thanksgiving. However, the car only had probably about 300 miles on it...

I can tell you it has a way longer range than my 2005 Outback XT did, I could barely go 290 miles before the fuel light was on. I can go about 380 miles on the XV so far before the light goes on...

Jay

#97 ·
Jay - fill up till the pump stops. Zero out the ODO - then next fill up - go till the pump shuts off and note the gallons put into the car. Then do the math
Last summer we did 560miles on a single tank in the 2010 OB 2.5 granted it had 36,000 miles on it and we were crossing two states that have low highway speeds.

The old Gen 3's and 2's never posted exceptional mileage especially the Turbo ;-)

The XV is a cool looking ride by the way.

#92 ·
XV Crosstek Shortcomings

I just stopped by the local Sub dealer and looked at the Orange Crosstek. I would never buy one of these cars. Check out the engine compartment. Subaru Bulletin release states to save on paint, they did not paint the underhood and engine compartment. It looks like a brand new car that just came out of a paint shop with oversparay in the entire engine compartment. Dealer said that Subaru America wanted to save on paint. OMG, a $25k+ car and they skimp on the paint? Come ON! I will never purchase one of these vechicles if that does not get some attention at the factory!

#96 ·
I just bought a Crosstrek premium CVT in Desert Khaki. A couple of comments:

- Reference the road noise question by billmang: it is there, but it's a little different than the Imprezza. It's tough to explain, but it seems to be slightly less intense than the Imprezza...I chalk it up to a different tread pattern and taller sidewall. I initially drove one before the dealer prep was complete (I was the first one to test drive it), and I was put off by the road noise. The next morning I came back and drove it again and it seemed quieter...dealer may have adjusted the tire pressures.

- suspension tuning is great. Firm (notably firmer than the Imprezza), controlled, good ground clearance, and it feels very sporty.

- Power: I too read the reviews saying it was underpowered and sluggish. I completely disagree. Ok...if you're coming out of a Mustang GT, it will feel underpowered. But to me, it doesn't feel underpowered or sluggish. The throttle tuning makes it way too sensitive off the line to mask the low power, but even after getting used to that, it doesn't feel underpowered at all to me. Fact is, I think it feels quite perky and sporty, with plenty of power for my needs. I also think that Subie's programming of their CVT is spot-on correct, which helps it make the most of its power. I'll report back after I drive it later this week at higher elevation, as I'm at sea level now but going to the mountains (5000-7500 ft elevation) later in the week.

- Great back seat. I'm 6 ft, set the drivers seat for myself, got in the back, and had a few inches of clear space ahead of my knees, and my feet fit easily under the front seat. Plenty of headroom. No need for me to remove the rear headrests to fold down the rear seats. Much more roomy in back than my old '08 OB.

- Cargo space: adequate...not great, but on par with other similarly sized hatchbacks.

- I can't report on fuel economy yet as it's brand new and I've only put about 45 miles on it so far. I track my fuel economy closely, tend to meet or exceed EPA estimates in Subarus, and expect to do the same in my Crosstrek.

All in all I like it. It feels playful, looks great, and seems to be a good car.

#99 ·
Thought I'd give an update:

I've had my Crosstrek for 2 weeks and 2300 miles. Yep...lots of miles very quickly. I just retired from the Army and am taking several months to travel...a LOT! I'm leaving in the morning to do another one...Tahoe to Monterey, down to San Diego, then a couple places in AZ, then the same trip in reverse minus San Diego.

- Fuel economy: My average so far is 32 mpg, hand calculated. Worst tank was 25, best was just over 37mpg. That's US mpg. Pretty good to me, and I'm happy with it.

- Power is adequate. I've run it from sea level up to over 7200 feet, and it has made it up every hill fine, and even has some reserve for passing. It's no powerhouse, but it gets the job done well.

- The seat could use more lumbar support or an adjustable lumbar. Everyone is different though, so others may think otherwise.

- Road noise: very dependent on the surface, with the gritty rutted semi-truck-worn concrete stretches being the noisiest. The reviews of the tires on TireRack indicate that the tires are a little loud. It's not objectionable though, and the Crosstrek has less road noise than a couple of current-generation VW Golfs and Jettas that I've driven.

Overall I'm very happy with it. It handles muddy dirt roads great, along with everything else I've thrown at it so far. It just has a friendly, approachable, can-do attitude that I really like. It's a very easy car to live with, without feeling like a bland econo-car with a synthetic vanilla personality.

#100 ·
Subaru sneakily avoids re-hashing the "Outback" nomenclature on the XV. Anyone know why ?

Well, let's see. They have at one time or another stuck the "Outback" label on:
(1) Legacy wagon Outback
(2) Legacy sedan Outback
(3) Impreza Outback

My guess: Their worried about confusing consumers who have followed their models for a while.

#101 ·
If I remember correctly, Outback used to be a trim package (not its own model), as recent as the last Imprezza Outback. Sorta like buying the SS package on a Chevy. Now that the Outback is its own model and not a trim package, it makes sense to not use Outback to denote a trim package.

#102 ·
Well I'm now at 31 days of ownership and a hair over 6000 miles. Still loving the XV...darn near perfect for what I need. Average MPG is now at 31.4...not too bad since it's been driven in such a huge variety of conditions, and it is sitting well above the EPA combined rating of 28 mpg.

Reference the fuel economy, it is pretty significantly affected by wind. Nose into a headwind at 70-75 mph, and the mileage drops. Keep speeds to 65-68 mph or drive in a tailwind, and the fuel economy jumps quite a bit.

I was asked on another forum why I didn't get a '14 Forester...more room, larger engine, similar or slightly higher price point, for only a couple MPG penalty. The Forester is nice, but the character doesn't suit me at all. I like the appearance and handling of the Crosstrek. The Forester is nice, but looks SO bland. I'll take the extra MPG, looks and handling!

#104 ·
I was going to buy a Crosstrek Limited to replace my wife's aging Honda Pilot, but was vetoed by her and my son. Ended up getting a 13 Honda CRV EX-L and have not regretted it, my wife loves it and we managed 32mpg running 80mpg on a 700 miles round trip to Colorado. However, a Crosstrek will probably be in my garage in the next year or so when I finally get tired of tickering with my 01 VDC.
I really like the way the Crosstrek feels, despite looking small, it really has an impressive amount of room inside, I am 6ft2 and I can sit comfortably in the back seat when the drivers seat is adjusted to my size. It seems to more than enough power for my needs, and will make an excellent ride going skiing and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.