2013 XV crosstrek - Page 7 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #61 (permalink)

Car: '05 turbo Baja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

susiemk, I was giggling at your assertion of dangerousness. They're no such thing, though I'm aware that many people now struggle to comprehend how to exist without a vehicle that has to haul around no more than 10 - 15 lbs/hp (...or without a cellular telephone, or a satellite radio and television, or a laptop computer, or... LOL!).
bulwnkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #62 (permalink)

Car: 2013, 2.5I, Limited+eyesight

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Couple of things CVT has a HUGE! impact on mountain performance heck even towing performance - I've racked up 40K on our CVT with the 2.5 and my last subaru was the 2.5 with the 5spd MT. The CVT has made a HUGE difference in the power/performance factor.

Also this new FB engine generates power in a very different way than the old engine. It has far more power at lower RPM's tied to a CVT I actually would put money on it that the new car is WAY WAY FAR superior to the old one in that regard. I know my OB is WAY WAY superior to my old one regarding what your thinking.

As for mileage the new FB engine is a massive ground up redesign and the CVT is also a big impact on mileage its self. Again even with the Outback running the older less efficient engine the mileage difference between the old car and the new one is quite large.

I can understand why people would feel the way you do having never driven the new Subarus with the new engines and CVT's but having lived with one for 40K now and having put 180,000 on the old subaru - I can tell you yes there is a pretty big difference in performance and mileage capability.

Can not agree more
pdaeng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #63 (permalink)

Car: DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH

Quote:
125's are not slow off the line - the XV will pass you about the time you reach 50mph

My 650 scooter could out run a stock WRX till we hit 85-90mph too. But the WRX driver was always dry and warm vs me being wet and cold in the winter on the scooter.

If you want a fast XV - wait a year or two and subaru will offer it with a 2L DI turbo engine
I have a Zuma 125 - pretty sure I can take a XV light to light (on a nice sunny day)...
susiemk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiemk View Post
I have a Zuma 125 - pretty sure I can take a XV light to light (on a nice sunny day)...
Not while transporting your wife - dog - and two kids. Come on it can be done I have coworkers in India who do it every day!
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulwnkl View Post
susiemk, I was giggling at your assertion of dangerousness. They're no such thing, though I'm aware that many people now struggle to comprehend how to exist without a vehicle that has to haul around no more than 10 - 15 lbs/hp (...or without a cellular telephone, or a satellite radio and television, or a laptop computer, or... LOL!).

I believe in power to weight ratios of 10lbs/hp or better - for safety's sake ...

I tune a friend's car with a good power to weight ratio of 2250Lbs / 730WHP (876chp) = 2.57lbs/HP - its a very safe car...

HW merge = no problem as it can accelerate from 0-131MPH in 5.2x seconds - 1/8th mile distance; 0-161MPH in 8.41 seconds - 1/4 mile of distance.

Note: Said friend thinks 10lbs/hp cars are too slow to be safe.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiemk View Post
I believe in power to weight ratios of 10lbs/hp or better - for safety's sake ...

I tune a friend's car with a good power to weight ratio of 2250Lbs / 730WHP (876chp) = 2.57lbs/HP - its a very safe car...

HW merge = no problem as it can accelerate from 0-131MPH in 5.2x seconds - 1/8th mile distance; 0-161MPH in 8.41 seconds - 1/4 mile of distance.

Note: Said friend thinks 10lbs/hp cars are to slow to be safe.
No car is safe if you compare the statistics of vehicle deaths to all other modes of transportation. Which case with his logic he should be walking
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Not while transporting your wife - dog - and two kids. Come on it can be done I have coworkers in India who do it every day!
Good point - XV got my vote (if the alternative is a scooter).
Old 11-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
No car is safe if you compare the statistics of vehicle deaths to all other modes of transportation. Which case with his logic he should be walking
Walking is slower than an XV - if this is the alternative the XV has my vote again..
Old 11-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #69 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outbback 2.5 limited SAP b brilliant brown

Wow, I just test drove the Crosstrek and to say it's slow is an understatement! The salesman balked when I said the CVT seemed not to work at all like our 13 Outback. He pulled out his phone and timed me accelerating to 60, 17 seconds with the pedal to the floor all the way. When my wife and I were in the market for our Outback we felt the same about the 12"s CVT, it just seemed to race like a slipping clutch, 13's are much improved! I think I'll wait until the next gen. CVT. Also for a 24000 dollar car they really should paint the engine bay and underfloor instead of just primer. There's a lot to like even more to dislike! Anyone else who has test driven or owns feel the same way?

Matthew
Busdrivera321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #70 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

i have a '12 impreza. for how expensive it is, i have limited, car should have power front seats. subaru doesn't put hood struts on or defrosted side mirrors, shame on you subaru, our '08 OBS had them.

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: