Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 XV crosstrek

47K views 104 replies 48 participants last post by  rover4x4 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right subforum for this kind of post, but have you guys heard about the new model called a xv crosstrek? it's based off the impreza platform but is a compact crossover vehicle. It's supposed to debut at the new york auto show. I think it looks like it's going to be a pretty neat car. I'm excited to read more about it. What do you guys think?

#3 ·
The general consensus is that it's the spiritual successor to the Gen 3 OB. Sure, it's Impreza based, but it's basically the same dimensions (except the rear is a foot shorter), a little less power, but more fuel efficient. I love my Gen 3 and don't plan on ditching her any time soon, but the XV would be on my short list of possible replacements.

#4 ·
+1.... I looked it up and worked it out that the XV is about 0.75" narrower and 1" shorter (wheelbase) than the 3rd gen outback, with a bit less cargo room in the back. I don't know how much lighter they are, but with a smaller engine, smaller trunk and less glass in the greenhouse I bet it's substantial.

I'll be watching it as well, very excited about this car.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I also think it's a very cool vehicle As long as it's a second vehicle, the smaller amount of cargo area wouldn't be a big deal for me. I just wish they had more power! Maybe they'll make an XV XT, or an XV-T in the future :D. Even if it's a light vehicle, I just don't like seeing sub-200 HP figures as the only option.

I'll gladly trade MPG for a power increase any day...hence my Gen2 H6.

#8 ·
I think there's plenty... the forester is a small SUV, the XV is a hatchback on a tall suspension.

Beyond that, there are the marketing angles. By now, the Forester has found a niche as a reliable compact 4-wheeler. Lots of people who subscribe to consumer reports and buy medicine through AARP love the Forester. (OK this is a very broad generalization but work with me)

Meanwhile, the XV is wild and new and fresh... which can be a tough sell to anyone other than the youth market.

I would expect marketing & styling efforts to help differentiate these two models. We'll see wilder colors & wheels on the XV, and not so much on the fozzies. Subaru can keep these cars distinct for a long time without too much effort.

#9 ·
I think there's plenty... the forester is a small SUV, the XV is a hatchback on a tall suspension.
I agree. It was the same difference that drove me to the Outback over the Forester (I was looking at the 2005-2007 model years). Nowadays, the Forester (even though it's based on the Impreza platform) competes with things like the Escape. The XV will fill the spot of small/mid car with a hatchback and ground clearance. It'll still feel and drive like a car, but it's more capable. The Forester can't do that. In fact, I'm not really sure what other vehicles *can*.

#13 ·
Does anybody know if the Crosstrek comes with 3rd Generation like roof rails and not those non-moveable crossbars that the 4th gen Outbacks came with?

I have a 2005 Outback XT (non-limited) and I use Thule 450s and crossbars to haul everything from long sea kayaks to rec kayaks to bikes to skis. I really disliked the 4th gen outbacks non-moveable crossbars because of their fixed position. I made this known to Subaru a few times.

Looking at some initial pictures of the crosstrek, I have seen everything from no roof rails to what looks like 3rd generation roof rails. Does anybody have a definitive answer of what will come on the model available for us? The pictures on Subaru's website surely looks promising but I can't zoom in enough to really tell...

Jay

#14 ·
I thought this was perfect for my wife when I learned about a year ago. Then I learned the start stop won't come to the US, then I found out 33 mpg. It IS just an impreza with forester suspension and flares, tired of waiting, ordered a '12 impreza. The wife just feels better being high, but in reality it doesn't make much of a difference

#18 ·
I think the bonus thing for me, being the owner of a 05 Outback XT, is that the Crosstrek uses the same rims as my outback, which means I can use my snow tires.... I need the ground clearance for winter pursuits...

Any info on the roof rails, while I'm here... It looks from the pictures I've seen of the Crosstrek with roof rails, is that it seems to use the same rails as the 3rd generation outbacks and not the hideable ones as the 4th gen, the ones that don't move fore and aft...

Jay

#20 ·
Another thing that would make the XV interesting is if Subaru offers their old package they did with the limited models where you can get all the nice stuff in MT format. This might be the right vehicle to attract enough MT drivers to the higher end interior offerings like leather - upgraded electronics etc. I would also think the XV would or should be offered in the larger 2.5 engine format given its marketing spin of being sporty outdoorsy gear hauler fun ride etc where a little extra grunt would be wanted to haul gear and do trips to the MT bike trail heads etc.

#25 ·
funny i did the exact same thing. its also a dark grey impreza sport limited. was let down a bit by the fuel mileage of the xv, was expecting 34 or 35, my wife drives almost 100 miles a day. i also heard a long time ago it would have start/stop, but that wont come to the us for years. the wife loves the extra height of my outback, but now she is loving her impreza.

#30 ·
First thing I said when I saw this car was, "cool, they are bringing back the Outback Sport." I looked into getting one when I got my full Size Outback. That being said I really don't like the new Imprezas at all. However, this looks like a lot of fun and I am really liking the orange color they are showing in the ads. If I can get one of these with a hitch, I may end up giving the wife my Outback and trading her car in for one of these. In orange of course.

#31 ·
I called the 'local' dealer a week or two ago. They aren't expecting to see these for a month or two. I went by there a few days ago, and they don't have a BRZ, either.

I really struggle because I LOVE my Baja, but the turbo drinks too much premium for my 75-mile commute. Yet I _really_ want offroad capability and some cargo and towing capacity, so things like the BRZ don't work for me other than on a commute.

Maybe the XV could work? Won't have anything like the cargo capacity of the Baja, but... Do you all know what the XV is 'rated' to tow? Has anyone, anywhere, EVER see a class III hitch (2" receiver) on a Subie? I'd really like the weight-carrying capacity of the 2" class III, though in terms of towing 2,300-ish is adequate.

#32 ·
Baja had a lower load capacity and towing capacity than the standard 2.5 non turbo outback due to the impact on frame strength when the cut the back off the outback.

The XV is small seating space are nearly identical to your Baja but the car its self is shorter and smaller all around. The last time subaru posted towing capacity for the Impreza's they were rated for the standard small CUV 1500lbs which the older smaller Rav 4 and even the Matrix were rated for. So good guess is that the XV or the impreza either will still be that 1500lb max towing weight bracket.

Go test drive the 5 door Impreza its the same car as the XV minus all the jazzed up fancy stuff and the raised suspension.

#33 ·
Thanks for the reply. 1,500 lbs tow rating _may_ work for me, but I'm not sure. Goodness, even my Neon was rated to tow 1,500 lbs!

I could tell that the XV is simply the 'new' Outback Sport, though perhaps with an actual suspension lift. Have you seen one in person? I'm interested in approach and departure angles, as I've had entry/exit troubles in a couple/few places with the Baja before due to the looooong overhangs.

You are mistaken about towing and the strength of the Baja, as are many people.

The Baja has the same or higher towing capacity rating than the same-chassis (2000-2004) Outbacks. The Baja is rated to tow 2,400 lbs. According to cars101.com, this site, and every other reference I quickly checked (I no longer have that series of Legacy/Outback, so I cannot check a manual), only the H6 had as much towing capacity as the Baja. The rest had 2,000 lbs.

I do not know the GVWR of the Outbacks, so I cannot compare cargo-carrying capacity, except to say that the bed is rated for ~1,000 lbs, and the tailgate alone is rated for either 600 or 660 lbs (can't recall off-hand).

#36 ·
Love it! Not sure why I'm digging the XV this much, but I am. Once my son is old enough to be in a front facing seat, I'll probably go test drive one. I know the back seat isn't the most spacious, so I don't want to have my passenger seat crammed to the dash to fit his infant seat.

#40 ·
i was pretty excited about the car but when i found out the mileage went down to 33 highway, my wife drives about 100 miles a day, found out it won't have start/stop like i heard rumors about, and i got sick of waiting. just got a '12 impreza instead. she doesn't need all the extra ground clearance.

#41 ·
Sometimes it feels like the Crosstrek is a mythical creature. Will it never arrive? There have been sightings and rumors. The latest email from my Subaru dealer says they're coming in October. Do I want to pre-order? To which I reply, I'm pretty sure I want this car, but I won't lay down money on a car that I've never even seen. Hurry, hurry, Subaru. My current car is in its last days and winter is coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.