2013 XV crosstrek - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2013 XV crosstrek

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum for this kind of post, but have you guys heard about the new model called a xv crosstrek? it's based off the impreza platform but is a compact crossover vehicle. It's supposed to debut at the new york auto show. I think it looks like it's going to be a pretty neat car. I'm excited to read more about it. What do you guys think?
stuffedbackseat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

there are a coupla fun Youtube ads/videos on it.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl

The general consensus is that it's the spiritual successor to the Gen 3 OB. Sure, it's Impreza based, but it's basically the same dimensions (except the rear is a foot shorter), a little less power, but more fuel efficient. I love my Gen 3 and don't plan on ditching her any time soon, but the XV would be on my short list of possible replacements.
NGK Iridium Plugs
Everstart Maxx 35N Battery
beachedwhale42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachedwhale42 View Post
The general consensus is that it's the spiritual successor to the Gen 3 OB. Sure, it's Impreza based, but it's basically the same dimensions (except the rear is a foot shorter), a little less power, but more fuel efficient. I love my Gen 3 and don't plan on ditching her any time soon, but the XV would be on my short list of possible replacements.
+1.... I looked it up and worked it out that the XV is about 0.75" narrower and 1" shorter (wheelbase) than the 3rd gen outback, with a bit less cargo room in the back. I don't know how much lighter they are, but with a smaller engine, smaller trunk and less glass in the greenhouse I bet it's substantial.

I'll be watching it as well, very excited about this car.
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

You might say it has been a popular discussion topic.

See also:
Subaru XV
Subaru XV Concept to Debut at Shanghai Auto Show, Previewing High-Riding Impreza
Subaru XV Ad
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...auto-show.html
Subaru XV heading to the US?

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

I also think it's a very cool vehicle As long as it's a second vehicle, the smaller amount of cargo area wouldn't be a big deal for me. I just wish they had more power! Maybe they'll make an XV XT, or an XV-T in the future . Even if it's a light vehicle, I just don't like seeing sub-200 HP figures as the only option.

I'll gladly trade MPG for a power increase any day...hence my Gen2 H6.

New one:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD Sport
Bone Stock for Now
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2012 3.6R Limited Pearl White Satin

I think there is not much distinction between XV and Forrester and I am afraid one will cannibalize the other. Any insight?
gspec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspec View Post
I think there is not much distinction between XV and Forrester and I am afraid one will cannibalize the other. Any insight?
I think there's plenty... the forester is a small SUV, the XV is a hatchback on a tall suspension.

Beyond that, there are the marketing angles. By now, the Forester has found a niche as a reliable compact 4-wheeler. Lots of people who subscribe to consumer reports and buy medicine through AARP love the Forester. (OK this is a very broad generalization but work with me)

Meanwhile, the XV is wild and new and fresh... which can be a tough sell to anyone other than the youth market.

I would expect marketing & styling efforts to help differentiate these two models. We'll see wilder colors & wheels on the XV, and not so much on the fozzies. Subaru can keep these cars distinct for a long time without too much effort.
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
I think there's plenty... the forester is a small SUV, the XV is a hatchback on a tall suspension.
I agree. It was the same difference that drove me to the Outback over the Forester (I was looking at the 2005-2007 model years). Nowadays, the Forester (even though it's based on the Impreza platform) competes with things like the Escape. The XV will fill the spot of small/mid car with a hatchback and ground clearance. It'll still feel and drive like a car, but it's more capable. The Forester can't do that. In fact, I'm not really sure what other vehicles *can*.
NGK Iridium Plugs
Everstart Maxx 35N Battery
beachedwhale42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachedwhale42 View Post
Nowadays, the Forester (even though it's based on the Impreza platform) competes with things like the Escape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post

Beyond that, there are the marketing angles. By now, the Forester has found a niche as a reliable compact 4-wheeler. Lots of people who subscribe to consumer reports and buy medicine through AARP love the Forester. (OK this is a very broad generalization but work with me)

Meanwhile, the XV is wild and new and fresh... which can be a tough sell to anyone other than the youth market.

I would expect marketing & styling efforts to help differentiate these two models. We'll see wilder colors & wheels on the XV, and not so much on the fozzies. Subaru can keep these cars distinct for a long time without too much effort.
Funny you say that. Cuz I notice most of the Foresters I see are driven by AARP types I think its high (accessible) roofline, seating position, huge greenhouse and "modest" exterior dimensions, plus its reasonable fuel consumption, reliability and price, makes it very appealing to retirees. Think of the Forester as the Camry of small crossovers

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but isn't the XV simply a spirtual successor of the Impreza Outback Sport (and not Legacy Outback nor Forester) ?

And while on that, I noted in all the car mags and online sources that Subaru sneakily avoids re-hashing the "Outback" nomenclature on the XV. Anyone know why ?
2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 40K kms
2006 Legacy spec. ed. wagon (sold)
1993 SAAB 9000 CSET (sold)
SaabKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: