Subaru Outback Forums banner

1997 impreza radiator leak

783 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  idosubaru 
#1 ·
i have a interest in a 97 impreza sport. i went to look at and when owner was showing, he had the engine revving, i noticed radiator fluid, not spraying but like stream spraying out from under the radiator cap. is this a blown head, and weak cap or a crack expansion tank.

i have a 98 impreza ad looking to expand collection

#2 ·
wow. i'd be very suspicious of someone selling a car like that - unless they knew it was bad and disclosed, showed you, etc.

how long has it been bad? why didn't they fix it? how many times has it run low on coolant and been overheated in the past year?

but yeah - it sounds like it's just the radiator cap not sealing. that can be caused by the cap itself or the radiator neck isn't smooth any more and the cap can't seal against it.

or the tank itself can crack.

headgasket won't make it externally spew water out the radiator cap. it'll push coolant from radiator to overflow tank and from there it can bubble, spray due to boiling....but it would be overheating if it were that bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.