98 Outback 2.5 - erratic fuel pressure - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 98 Outback Limited, 2.5 H4, automatic AWD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 98 Outback 2.5 - erratic fuel pressure

I have a 98 Outback with a 2.5L, automatic trans. I am getting good fuel pressure on my pressure gauge when the key is turned on, but once the car is started (hard to get started and won't run above 1200 RPM), the pressure reading drops to zero, but once the engine stops, the pressure goes back up and holds for quite a while with the fuel pump off.
I have looked at the fuel pressure regulator and don't see any signs of fuel at the vacuum line and the vacuum seems to work OK and holds pressure. I have checked the fuel filter and it is clear.
I am looking for ideas on what to check next. In an effort not to leave anything out; I have to give a little background on what happened recently, my kid was driving the car, slid on wet pavement and hit a curb with the passenger side rear wheel and the car flipped on the passenger side (very little cosmetic damage). He called his friends, they came in about ten minutes and flipped the car back on its wheels, they then changed the rear tire (broken wheel) and started it up and drove it to his friends house a couple of blocks away. The car ran fine. I had the car flat bedded to my house a bit later, the tow truck driver started the car, repositioned it and then delivered it to my house. When we took it off the truck (driveway has a pretty steep slope), the engine was pointing downhill. When I tried to start the engine to put the car in the garage, this is when the problem started and I couldn't get it above 1200 RPM without it dying, by the way, it won't idle either.
Sounds like a pressure regulator, but I don't have a lot of money to throw around right now (out of work) and don't want to replace unnecessary parts. Any feedback you can give on what else to look for will be greatly appreciated.
ronnieb4451 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

For starters, I presume you're checking the fuel pressure at the engine. A drop in pressure at the engine could be due to a restriction in the fuel line from the pump to the engine or at the pump itself (in the tank).

How did you check the fuel filter?

The pickup screen on the pump might have become blocked by dirt in the fuel tank that was disturbed when the car tipped. This, as well as a partial blockage in the line would be consistent with the pump being able to restore and maintain pressure when the engine isn't consuming fuel but not maintain enough fuel delivery when the engine is running.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 00 legacy 96 legacy

i had the same thing happen to me with a forester. i could never figure out what was wrong with it. i ended up junking it cuz i spent alot of money trying to get it running and couldnt. i hope you find out whats wrong it will probally be the one thing i didnt think of. i change the fuel pump,sending unit,fuelfilter,pressure regulator,injectors,crank sensor. the only thing i was thinking after i junked it was maybe it had a fuel pump shut off saftey device. well goodluck
subaru_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

There actualy is a valve to stop fuel flow when the car is flipped (roll over valve). It may have issues as I dont know if it is a one time use valve.

Have you actually done a real fuel pressure regulator test.

plug into the fuel line with a T after relieving pressure.
Start car and and let it idle. Take pressure reading and compare to spec.
Detach vac hose to fuel pressure regulator and watch the pressure gauge.
Pressure should go much higher then the previous one.

Get the haynes manual as I am not typing everything in here but it sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator.

The lower the vac the higher the pressure, the higher the vac the lower the pressure.

Rolled the car with just "minor" damage?
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: