Subaru Outback Forums banner

NEW! 2000 Outback Sedan

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dchalle2 
#1 ·
Hello!
So I am as new as it gets when it comes to this place and I just wanted to introduce myself! I am as of recently the owner of a 2000 Outback Sedan. I've always loved Subies and now that I finally own one I want to make her shine! Its already in pretty good condition. Has 146,000 miles and is clean for being 15 years young. I need some help though. I want to make her stand out and make people double take when I drive past. I'm planning on getting the windows tinted to the legal limit in Wisconsin and I'm planning on getting different rims as well but after that i'm not really sure what else to do. I want to put a slightly louder/better exhaust system to hear her better but I am on a pretty tight budget due to being in college. Anything else you guys would think help her look even better and any advice in plain id really appreciate! Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
nice looking car for wisconsin,...no visible rust?:smile2:

as no rust do you know its history
like where did it come from? ...was it garage kept / always washed in winter,....possibly parked by the owner on the nastier days for a old already rusted Jeep Cherokee

is it as pretty and rust free underneath?

head gaskets already done?

here is a maint. schedule. to compare what you know vs. what needs to be done (and to remind you of things that maybe overlooked)

things to know: NGK plugs, NGK plug wires (or subaru sold Packard),
OEM theromstat or a Stant Xact stat)

OEM rad cap.

______-

little funny problems can be caused by a PCV valve, that like swapping the thermostat are not included on the maint. schedule.

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

/

#3 ·
It's a sedan instead of the wagon. That would make us Subaru fanatics do a double-take. It has a spoiler. How much cooler can it get. Sorry, old dude poking fun at you. Too bad you couldn't get the WRX STi. They lend themselves more towards souping-up, as we used to say in the day.

There are sites that will let you "try on" different wheels they sell, on your car. Some Photoshopped overlay deal. The boxer engine does have a sweat exhaust note, so finding the right system will work well. Search here to see what other folks have done. There's plenty to swap on the interior nearly any 2000-2004 parts are interchangeable.

#4 ·
Peab I will happily sell you my sedan factory spoiler,...you can find a way to bolt it on Little Red. maybe a front lip like a Porsche

#5 ·
I see that is a Limited H4 with black interior.

if poking around parts yards, or looking at local part outs:

you might find a center console out of a 2002-2004 in dark grey or brown, ...or black, so you get 2 cup holders
hopefully with 2 seat heater switches already embedded in the console.

_______

make sure you save those sweet looking OEM rims for real snow tires.
all seasons = all wheel spin,...real snow tires on a subaru make it simply drive through the worst slush and snow.....like a mountain goat out for a refreshing stroll.

#6 ·
There are a couple of rust spots but nothing bigger than a quarter and its surface rust on the right side of the hood by the windshield and another by the spoiler. Otherwise underneath is clean as well. He kept it in the garage but it was his winter car so its seen snow. It currently has winter tires on it which i'd like to get a summer set but that's for a later date. I had a family friend who owns an auto body shop give it full inspection and he said nothing needed immediate changing just the typical maintenance (tire rotation, oil change). Thanks for the schedule Ill deffinetly use it! It has heated seats but with only one cup holder and then one in the dash.

#8 ·
beware of the cup holder in the dash. ....its a nice place to park a cell phone,
or a sealed drink,

but a open one may dump on the radio. (hence why lots of 2000-2001 people round up a 2002-2004 2 cup console.)

______

running snows on roads over 50 degrees typically makes them degrade fast,... so what you are riding on will really really suck come December 15th or whenever you get the first 2" of sloppy wet snow. (low tread depth, probably a little more shallow on the fronts).

around the middle of November to thanksgiving week is when the best online deals for snow tires appear,....and get a set of sporty / 3 season (all season), whenever you get around to it

like next March.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.