Outback vs Legacy - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Outback vs Legacy

Hi everyone! I am looking forward to get my first Subaru. I live in the Midwest and I thought that an AWD car would be a great choice sluching through snow during winter. I have been researching and I think what I can afford right now is a 2005. But what I can't figure out is...

...what is the difference between an Outback and a Legacy?

Thanks! More power to this site!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2

Suspension. Legacy is lower and handles better. The Outback gives you higher ride height and a boat like ride. Otherwise they are identical minus a few very minor details.
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have both. The outback is basically just a bastardized legacy wagon. Meaning they raised the wagon up - slapped some stupid plastic tough looking stuff on it and WA LA you have a SUV all American auto buyers will buy. LOL The down side is that the outback handles lousy when you compare it to the legacy.

As for crappy snowy road conditions many people think that the raised suspension on the outback makes it magically light years better than the legacy. I have both and can say thats false except in super extreme conditions which case the OB might move a little and the legacy may be stuck. Having said that I never got my legacy stuck in some really bad snow storms. No need for a wagon get the legacy its far far superior on the pavement regarding driving experience than the outback. Also it tends to be cheaper.

If you can find a legacy wagon which they stopped making in 05 I think - you'll have the best of both worlds great handling and a wagon. Only difference between the two regarding packing camping gear and the bikes for us is the dog rides in the wagon now. Prior to the kids the dog rode in the back seat of the legacy.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Legacy Limited CVT Car: 2011 Outback Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Mazda MX5 GT 6MT Bike: 2003 Honda GL1800ABS ** Reunite Gondwanaland! **

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
...what is the difference between an Outback and a Legacy?
Round up four large & tall adults and take a test ride in each. Be sure
to test cars with the moonroof option if you have any interest in that.

If you care about off-road, also visit some unpaved forrest tracks
with deep wheel ruts and tall center shrubbery.

OTOH, if you plan to do any autocrossing, forget the Outback.

OTOOH, if you plan to schlep large dogs, forget the Legacy.

...now you know the difference,

Looby
2003 Honda Goldwing ... 1.8L H6
1960 Porsche 356B S90 . 1.6L H4
1942 Muhammed Ali ...... 6'3" H2
Looby is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

I agree with what everyone else has said:

I think both actually come in sedan and wagon form for that year.

If you're off-roading and need the extra clearance, get the Outback. Otherwise, go for the Legacy.

A requirement for cargo room might force you into getting an Outback if you can't find a Legacy wagon, but on the other hand if you don't need the space but want the clearance the Outback sedan is an option (though they are harder to find as well).

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
jp1203 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you for all your inputs!

I thought I needed a wagon because I have a growing family. The extra space a wagon has may be handy for groceries and what-nots. I still wanted something that drives like a car, so I guess a Legacy would fit my needs. I don't have plans to go off-road. But if you say a Legacy Wagon '05 may be hard to find, I think the Outback isn't so bad. I think it would look rugged and not make me look like a soccer mom.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Thank you for all your inputs!

I thought I needed a wagon because I have a growing family. The extra space a wagon has may be handy for groceries and what-nots. I still wanted something that drives like a car, so I guess a Legacy would fit my needs. I don't have plans to go off-road. But if you say a Legacy Wagon '05 may be hard to find, I think the Outback isn't so bad. I think it would look rugged and not make me look like a soccer mom.
The soccer mom's around here are trading their leased MB GL's in for outback wagons LOL. In 2010 I had the only subaru in the hood. Now there are 6 including the very same model and color as mine.... Only way you can tell mine isn't a soccer mom wagon is the dents - the hitch and the yacht club burgee on the rear window. LOL

The legacy and the outback are identical by the way regarding trunk space they are the same car minus the wagon bit. No dog or plans on hauling tables an chairs from garage sales then the legacy works fine. LOL Drive em both you may decide the legacy is actually preferred or not.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
The soccer mom's around here are trading their leased MB GL's in for outback wagons LOL. In 2010 I had the only subaru in the hood. Now there are 6 including the very same model and color as mine.... Only way you can tell mine isn't a soccer mom wagon is the dents - the hitch and the yacht club burgee on the rear window. LOL

The legacy and the outback are identical by the way regarding trunk space they are the same car minus the wagon bit. No dog or plans on hauling tables an chairs from garage sales then the legacy works fine. LOL Drive em both you may decide the legacy is actually preferred or not.
Very, very true. There's no reason to get a wagon if it's just a grocery getter. If you're hauling big stuff, fine, but otherwise it's actually MORE inconvenient.

With a sedan, you can throw things in the trunk and forget them. With the wagon, it's always there in plain sight, will roll all over the car (and be more obvious when it does), and it's not at all hidden. Sort of a nuisance if you're a neat freak...I don't even carry extra washer fluid in the wagon because I hate things like that being in plain sight...just looks messy.

The actual passenger seating area is the same (or very close to it, anyway) regardless of if it is a sedan or wagon.

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
jp1203 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
Very, very true. There's no reason to get a wagon if it's just a grocery getter. If you're hauling big stuff, fine, but otherwise it's actually MORE inconvenient.

With a sedan, you can throw things in the trunk and forget them. With the wagon, it's always there in plain sight, will roll all over the car (and be more obvious when it does), and it's not at all hidden. Sort of a nuisance if you're a neat freak...I don't even carry extra washer fluid in the wagon because I hate things like that being in plain sight...just looks messy.

The actual passenger seating area is the same (or very close to it, anyway) regardless of if it is a sedan or wagon.
Thank you for the heads up! But one of the few things that made me think why a wagon might be better for me is that we can put in taller things such as luggage or perhaps furniture.

Another question, I have yet to see a Subaru with rust in the lower parts of its body. Why is that? And... how much should a 2005 Legacy or Outback cost? What should I look out for when I start searching?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: