Outback vs Legacy - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Outback vs Legacy

Hi everyone! I am looking forward to get my first Subaru. I live in the Midwest and I thought that an AWD car would be a great choice sluching through snow during winter. I have been researching and I think what I can afford right now is a 2005. But what I can't figure out is...

...what is the difference between an Outback and a Legacy?

Thanks! More power to this site!
littlebadboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Registered User
 
Seabass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: At a bar.
Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
Posts: 2,105
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suspension. Legacy is lower and handles better. The Outback gives you higher ride height and a boat like ride. Otherwise they are identical minus a few very minor details.
Seabass is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
AWDFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: About to leave Chicago!
Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.
Posts: 7,994
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV

2003 Outback wagon: "Kaylee". 144,000 and counting.
Basics: Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30, PureOne oil filter, Fram air filter, Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF, Mobil 1 75W90, Michelin Primacy MXV4.
Mods: 2004 Forester XT shift knob, Fumoto oil drain valve, Phillips VisionPlus low beams, Phillips HIR1 high beam upgrade, Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K fog lights.

Also: More rust than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 17,527
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have both. The outback is basically just a bastardized legacy wagon. Meaning they raised the wagon up - slapped some stupid plastic tough looking stuff on it and WA LA you have a SUV all American auto buyers will buy. LOL The down side is that the outback handles lousy when you compare it to the legacy.

As for crappy snowy road conditions many people think that the raised suspension on the outback makes it magically light years better than the legacy. I have both and can say thats false except in super extreme conditions which case the OB might move a little and the legacy may be stuck. Having said that I never got my legacy stuck in some really bad snow storms. No need for a wagon get the legacy its far far superior on the pavement regarding driving experience than the outback. Also it tends to be cheaper.

If you can find a legacy wagon which they stopped making in 05 I think - you'll have the best of both worlds great handling and a wagon. Only difference between the two regarding packing camping gear and the bikes for us is the dog rides in the wagon now. Prior to the kids the dog rode in the back seat of the legacy.
subiesailor is online now  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered User
 
Looby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philly 'burbs
Car: 2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
Posts: 2,750
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
...what is the difference between an Outback and a Legacy?
Round up four large & tall adults and take a test ride in each. Be sure
to test cars with the moonroof option if you have any interest in that.

If you care about off-road, also visit some unpaved forrest tracks
with deep wheel ruts and tall center shrubbery.

OTOH, if you plan to do any autocrossing, forget the Outback.

OTOOH, if you plan to schlep large dogs, forget the Legacy.


...now you know the difference,

Looby

All-time favorite boxers (chronological order):
2013 Subaru Legacy ...…... 2.5L H4
2011 Subaru Outback ...…. 2.5L H4
2003 Honda Goldwing ...… 1.8L H6
1960 Porsche 356B S90 …. 1.6L H4
1942 Muhammed Ali ...…... 6'3" H2
Looby is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Registered User
 
jp1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England
Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
Posts: 2,868
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I agree with what everyone else has said:

I think both actually come in sedan and wagon form for that year.

If you're off-roading and need the extra clearance, get the Outback. Otherwise, go for the Legacy.

A requirement for cargo room might force you into getting an Outback if you can't find a Legacy wagon, but on the other hand if you don't need the space but want the clearance the Outback sedan is an option (though they are harder to find as well).

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

My Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4

Immediate Family Has (and I work on):
2004 Outback Base 5MT Wagon
2001 Outback Limited H4 Sedan
1998 Legacy GT Wagon (Auto)
jp1203 is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank you for all your inputs!

I thought I needed a wagon because I have a growing family. The extra space a wagon has may be handy for groceries and what-nots. I still wanted something that drives like a car, so I guess a Legacy would fit my needs. I don't have plans to go off-road. But if you say a Legacy Wagon '05 may be hard to find, I think the Outback isn't so bad. I think it would look rugged and not make me look like a soccer mom.
littlebadboy is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 17,527
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Thank you for all your inputs!

I thought I needed a wagon because I have a growing family. The extra space a wagon has may be handy for groceries and what-nots. I still wanted something that drives like a car, so I guess a Legacy would fit my needs. I don't have plans to go off-road. But if you say a Legacy Wagon '05 may be hard to find, I think the Outback isn't so bad. I think it would look rugged and not make me look like a soccer mom.
The soccer mom's around here are trading their leased MB GL's in for outback wagons LOL. In 2010 I had the only subaru in the hood. Now there are 6 including the very same model and color as mine.... Only way you can tell mine isn't a soccer mom wagon is the dents - the hitch and the yacht club burgee on the rear window. LOL

The legacy and the outback are identical by the way regarding trunk space they are the same car minus the wagon bit. No dog or plans on hauling tables an chairs from garage sales then the legacy works fine. LOL Drive em both you may decide the legacy is actually preferred or not.
subiesailor is online now  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Registered User
 
jp1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England
Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
Posts: 2,868
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
The soccer mom's around here are trading their leased MB GL's in for outback wagons LOL. In 2010 I had the only subaru in the hood. Now there are 6 including the very same model and color as mine.... Only way you can tell mine isn't a soccer mom wagon is the dents - the hitch and the yacht club burgee on the rear window. LOL

The legacy and the outback are identical by the way regarding trunk space they are the same car minus the wagon bit. No dog or plans on hauling tables an chairs from garage sales then the legacy works fine. LOL Drive em both you may decide the legacy is actually preferred or not.
Very, very true. There's no reason to get a wagon if it's just a grocery getter. If you're hauling big stuff, fine, but otherwise it's actually MORE inconvenient.

With a sedan, you can throw things in the trunk and forget them. With the wagon, it's always there in plain sight, will roll all over the car (and be more obvious when it does), and it's not at all hidden. Sort of a nuisance if you're a neat freak...I don't even carry extra washer fluid in the wagon because I hate things like that being in plain sight...just looks messy.

The actual passenger seating area is the same (or very close to it, anyway) regardless of if it is a sedan or wagon.

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

My Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4

Immediate Family Has (and I work on):
2004 Outback Base 5MT Wagon
2001 Outback Limited H4 Sedan
1998 Legacy GT Wagon (Auto)
jp1203 is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
Very, very true. There's no reason to get a wagon if it's just a grocery getter. If you're hauling big stuff, fine, but otherwise it's actually MORE inconvenient.

With a sedan, you can throw things in the trunk and forget them. With the wagon, it's always there in plain sight, will roll all over the car (and be more obvious when it does), and it's not at all hidden. Sort of a nuisance if you're a neat freak...I don't even carry extra washer fluid in the wagon because I hate things like that being in plain sight...just looks messy.

The actual passenger seating area is the same (or very close to it, anyway) regardless of if it is a sedan or wagon.
Thank you for the heads up! But one of the few things that made me think why a wagon might be better for me is that we can put in taller things such as luggage or perhaps furniture.

Another question, I have yet to see a Subaru with rust in the lower parts of its body. Why is that? And... how much should a 2005 Legacy or Outback cost? What should I look out for when I start searching?
littlebadboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome