Getting a 2013 Subaru! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Getting a 2013 Subaru!

Hey everyone,
My name is Will and I live in Billings, MT, though I am frequently in Missoula as well. My current car is a 2007 Chrysler 300C that has been nothing short of wonderful. I tore the motor apart a couple years back and rebuilt it to a very stout 400+rwhp. A higher stall torque converter and a 150 shot of nitrous are going in around late May. I love the car to pieces, but having all that power going to the rear tires is problematic in Montana for a very large portion of the year.

Hello Subaru! I've always liked Outbacks, they're the unparalleled vehicle of choice in Missoula particularly. I saw 2013 OB's will have a revised engine/suspension and I happen to like the larger fog lights (reminds me of earlier models). So I'm definitely going to hold off until the new models are hitting the lots.

The only things I'm stuck on are the CVT or the 6-speed. It'll make the difference between getting a 2.5i Limited or Premium. I like having the ability to row my own gears, but I like the added efficiency and -presumably- lower cruising RPM of the CVT (I'm on the interstate quite a bit). I also know that the AWD system between the two is different but I don't know really how. And it could probably be debated forever between which is better. If you have an opinion, let me hear it!
Last issue, that new XV Crosstrek looks awesome. Orange and everything. Really liking it. It may be too small though, so when it comes time to buy I'll be testing the snot out of both cars haha.

Anyway, that's all for me! Thanks and I'm glad to be on board!
Latigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Fingers crossed the revised suspension really makes it handle better! I love the legacy it handles really well drives super nice. Fantastic in the snow and would be fun with the MT or the 3.6R. Though mine is the cvt nearly 30,000 miles on it great car. We have a 2010 OB also with CVT. My prior subaru was a Legacy GT limited 5spd MT. So it was really tough to make the call on the CVT. However after driving the new 6spd MT in the outback it was a no brainer between the limited handling ability of the outback and the fairly industrial feel of the new 6spd and the simple aspect that the CVT really manages the power exceptionally well for the 2.5 I went with the cvt.

The only thing that would make the outback with the cvt more entertaining to drive is better handling which fingers crossed the revised 2013 really does address for you. Very very different ride than your 300 for sure! Don't laugh but the first thing that came to mind when I drove the new 6spd MT outback was the old 1985 toyota SR5 4x4 we used to chuck bails of hay feed to the cows. LOL Way under powered a bit floppy and rough shifter etc etc.

Make sure you test drive the 6spd MT more than once! We drove it three times and couldn't believe we considered the CVT a far better choice over the mt. After 30K in the outback towing boats and doing road trips and snow ski trips etc - hands down the CVT is perfect for the new outback and the 2.5 or in your case the all new engine which has a flatter torque band better oil filter location and some major engine updates over the old 90's era 2.5 sold through the 2012 model year.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lol, couldn't agree more on the difference between the OB and my 300. It'll remain as my summer/track car. I still manage about 25 on the highway even with everything that's been done, so it's not too bad on fuel there (city mileage is down in the 15 range though).
Wow, you've got me nearly sold on the CVT haha. I'll definitely have to do some back-to-back with those transmissions. The paddle shifter can hold a gear anyway, so I guess that wouldn't make life so bad. My concern was longevity and gear holding going up and down forest service roads and such. Since it's the second gen CVT I'm left wondering what has been changed since the original one though. Doesn't seem like it's been out long.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post
Lol, couldn't agree more on the difference between the OB and my 300. It'll remain as my summer/track car. I still manage about 25 on the highway even with everything that's been done, so it's not too bad on fuel there (city mileage is down in the 15 range though).
Wow, you've got me nearly sold on the CVT haha. I'll definitely have to do some back-to-back with those transmissions. The paddle shifter can hold a gear anyway, so I guess that wouldn't make life so bad. My concern was longevity and gear holding going up and down forest service roads and such. Since it's the second gen CVT I'm left wondering what has been changed since the original one though. Doesn't seem like it's been out long.
My best guess on the CVT second gen is that the new engines are a little different regarding the mating to the CVT. So the CVT is different in some slight ways like case design etc to fit the newer engines. Knowing Subaru I highly doubt the guts of the cvt is any different and given it appears the CVT's are having far far fewer complaints than the old 5spd AT there is probably a much higher chance subaru hasn't messed with the internals much. Don't fix what isn't broken.

As for holding gears you pull the shifter over and the cvt will hold the manually selected gear ratios for as long as you choose too. Also the manually selected 1st is lower than the AT 1st ratio used which is interesting. A few of the guys who are pretty into the AT's and how they work figure that the line pressure to the TQ is bumped up in the MT mode also.

Also in AT mode you can still use the paddle shifters the most common use seems to be down shifting to help keep the speed checked on down hill runs which case the AT holds the down shifted ratio till you give the car a bit of throttle then it kicks back to the AT mode. Same effect if you down shift then give it the boot it will hold the ratio till you back off on the throttle. Where as manual mode it holds the ratio. I've tried to get a little aggressive with it in the canyon behind our house on the weekends its a major biker location. The limitation in that situation is the Outback handling and tires you find those long before you find the limits of the 2.5 or the cvt. My old GT could hustle through that canyon like a rabid dog on fire the outback wallows, skips, Chirps and bounces through the canyon like a drunk being hustled to the drunk tank. LOL The 2010 legacy 2.5 CVT we bought for Grandma hustles through the canyon with a little bit of the old GT scrappy nature still which case you find the limits of the 2.5 far more often before you find the limits of the suspension and tires. Which case the 6spd MT or the 3.6R would be a hoot in that car where its a waste in the OB.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

In that case, I'll probably just get a cvt. If the 6mt was geared better, that would be one thing. But since it isn't I'll just take the cvt with its added efficiency and call it a day.
Have similar feelings with the Crosstrek too. I just don't want a 5mt like it will have. Shoulda given it a well geared 6mt, then I'd consider.

Do the new Imprezas have a light bar available for them? (assume that would fit the crosstrek) One of the first things I'd do with the OB is get the light bar and mount some lightforce off road lights.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

Get the CVT and relax with it. The 6mt would be worthless compared to what you have now. Let the Outback be a car of relaxation and do all versatility.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: