1. OBXT AT. Best value and standard features (e.g. side curtain airbags, heated seats, 6-disc CD changer, etc.) of just about any car out there.
2. Those other cars you mentioned aren't bad, but I would not consider them over a Subaru. IMHO, Subarus have much more character and I presume are much more fun to drive. I believe the Subaru has a better AWD system and would handle better in the snow than its taller competitors. I've driven through 30in snow drifts no problem. And, Subaru reliability is as good as the Toyota and Honda.
3. Love: The Turbo, obviously!
Reliability, smoothness quietness, looks in and out, steering, and AWD. Hate? I hate nothing about it. I think the MPG is not THAT bad for an AWD turbo. If I could change anything about it: I would give it low range for off-roading!
4. No dealer problems--though they do like to say "normal" when I complain about nit picky issues. But, it's never really in the dealership, so...
5. Toyota 4Runner. Ended up with the Outback b/c of the turbo and standard side curtain airbags. I could get airbags on the 4Runner, but had to then purchase 10 options I did not want. I also did not like the low roof line of the 4Runner...made me feel clausterphobic.
6. Both the Outback and Forester are great. Drive both and you should be able to tell which one you like better. I went with the Outback b/c it was more car-like than utilitarian. But, I still like the Forester whenever I drive one. I also don't like how the Forester's roof sounds when it rains--kind of tinny. The back seat SEEMS a little smaller in the Forester. But again, both are GREAT cars.