Subaru Outback Forums banner

Head Gasket Repair with Coolant Additive?

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  subiesailor 
#1 ·
I did a search for this and didn't get much back for info, except two posts in the sticky on head gaskets. So here's the question...

What is the chance a coolant additive like Stop Leak, etc. will fix an external head gasket leak?

I have a 2003 Outback Wagon, 2.5L engine. I don't really know the past maintenance history on it, as I bought it in June with 143,000 on it, and I've only put 3000 on since then.

I noticed the other day that steam was coming up from under the hood and I could smell the sweet smell of anti-freeze burning. After getting it home, I pulled the cover off the underside of the engine and it appears to have a small leak on the right side (passenger) of the engine and towards the rear.

I put some Stop Leak in. I figured that while it was only a couple $$, if it didn't work, no big deal.

Now maybe because I haven't reinstalled the engine cover, I'm not noticing any anti-freeze smell. And I haven't noticed any steam coming up either.

So what do you think? Is there a chance that the leak may be stopped?

Thanks in advance.

(So far the cost of repairs is rapidly approaching the cost of purchase... :( ) But I like the car...

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Chris, what did you find out about this? Curious if it helped your leak.

#4 ·
Good call the stop leak type fixes are only if you don't plan on having the vehicle for long. They plug holes and they don't have a preference as to which holes the good ones or the bad ones LOL - regarding cooling systems

Oil stop leak stuff generally works by swelling gaskets again some times they work and stop the leak some times not but they swell all the gaskets not just the one leaking which in turn eventually results in all your gaskets needing replacement. Again its a short term fix for someone not planning on keeping the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.