H6 Head gasket replacement - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #41 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Car: 2001 LL Bean, 1997 2.5L 5spd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3.0 H6 Head gasket replacement photos

I decided to add to the collection of photos related to replacing the head gaskets on the H6. I just got the engine out today, and the teardown starts tomorrow.

Link to Flickr set

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 PM

H6 service

One fun discovery: the wrench end of my deep 1/4" drive sockets fit perfectly into the holes in the crankshaft pulley, so with a breaker bar I essentially recreated Subaru's special tool for keeping the crank from turning while you remove the pulley.

post #43 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback
That gives a good view of why headers on the H6 3.0 (vs 3.0r etc) really don't do much...

Dave
post #44 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 PM

H6 innards

Album updated with more pictures. Here are a couple with and without the inner timing chain cover:

Rounded off about ten of the stupid little allen socket cap screws holding the cover in place. Managed to remove six with vise grips, but I had to drill off the heads of four. Not so bad, though, since the socket guided my drill bit right down the center. A 1/4" carbide bit was the perfect size to remove the entire head without the risk of damaging the cover since there's a bit of clearance around the threads.

post #45 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Socket trick works on the cam sprockets, too:

post #46 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Finally got the heads on. There are so many surfaces to clean up on this engine.

Shot of the bare block:

Those divots in the pistons had me worried for a bit, but they were filled with carbon deposits, so I think they were made that way. They're only visible because I spent a couple of hours removing all that **** carbon.

Copper-sprayed head gasket in place:

Freshly milled cylinder head:

Fully installed (opposite side):

Unlike the 4, the 6 requires all eight bolts to be tightened to the same torque (25Nm), then all are tightened 90 degrees, then the inner four are tightened another 90 degrees but the outer four are tightened only 45 degrees more. All the marks on the bolt heads started at 12 o'clock.

I had a slight clacking before the head gasket failed, and I'm pretty sure I found the culprit. The clearance on one of my right-side intake valves was 0.014", way outside factory spec (0.008"). Heading to the dealer tomorrow to pick up a new power steering pump ($470, ouch) and order a new shim.
post #47 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hate to see it, but nice to see folks digging into and posting about H6 work.

any comments on doing timing chain work with the engine in the car?

seems like the hardest part would be installing the sealant covered timing cover without rubbing or messing up the sealing bead?
post #48 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
hate to see it, but nice to see folks digging into and posting about H6 work.

any comments on doing timing chain work with the engine in the car?

seems like the hardest part would be installing the sealant covered timing cover without rubbing or messing up the sealing bead?
I can't imagine doing it. If it were just my timting chain cover leaking, I would just keep adding oil. Even after removing the 57 bolts (eight of which rounded out), it was a pain in the butt to break the seal to remove the cover. Cleaning all the mating surfaces is a nightmare.
post #49 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGustav View Post
I can't imagine doing it. If it were just my timting chain cover leaking,
hmmm. mine is due to a noisy timing chain guide. it's been there for over 50,000 miles so obviously i can live with it. but seems like i should think about doing it this summer.

i'd pull the radiator and condensor and other stuff, i'll probably try it without pulling the motor. last one i pulled a couple weeks ago took like 4 hours, it sucked. i've done tons of subaru headgaskets in the car so i can probably swing it, have extra cars and can pull it if i have too.
post #50 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
hmmm. mine is due to a noisy timing chain guide. it's been there for over 50,000 miles so obviously i can live with it. but seems like i should think about doing it this summer.

i'd pull the radiator and condensor and other stuff, i'll probably try it without pulling the motor. last one i pulled a couple weeks ago took like 4 hours, it sucked. i've done tons of subaru headgaskets in the car so i can probably swing it, have extra cars and can pull it if i have too.
You'll definitely need to remove the radiator. You may have enough clearance without removing the condenser, though, so I'd give it a try before adding the expense of recharging your A/C system. I had a **** of a time breaking the seal loose, though. There are a couple of indentations in the cover where you can slip a pry bar between the outer cover and the block for leverage. Start at the corners and work a sturdy, thin scraper into the silicone and then gently work it around. Careful not to hammer it in, though, because you could hurt the chains. Try to stay as shallow as possible. My alignment pins at the top were corroded, so even after breaking the silicone loose I had to lever it off. Just be careful not to pry against the inner cover, because they're both soft aluminum. I was surprised at how much the outer cover flexed.

If you have timing chain noise, it could be the guide or one of the tensioners. I'd check them all for any breakage of the plastic guides or any problems with the tensioner springs. Also make sure the oil passages behind the tensioners are clear. I found a few chunks of hardened sealant wedge in nooks and crannies and in the oil pickup screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: