Steel-Seal for Head-Gasket Repair? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Steel-Seal for Head-Gasket Repair?

Hi:
Subaru Outback 2000 with only 60,000 mileages

The certified mechanic told me Head Gasket of Subaru is bad that causing a loss of coolant/anti-freeze.

I saw the following ad. about Steel-seal for head-gasket repair:

https://secure.steelseal.com/index.p...6681322-419611

Just wondering whether this product works for my Subaru?

Thanks for any honest imputs in advance.
WinterBlue10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback EJ259

NO, bad idea.
You will end up clogging up your radiator and everything else in your coolant system.

Subaru has released revised versions of the headgaskets, they used to be bad.
Now, not so much.

Get the repair done right the first time or you will wish you did.
ntippet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150

I don't think it will work a miracle, but it might help and if you want to spend the time and money, give it a try and let us know how it worked.

Quote:
You will end up clogging up your radiator and everything else in your coolant system.
I call B.S. on this. Do you know this for a fact, i.e., have you actually tried this product and seen the results? Or are you just repeating the same tired old opinions that have been circulating (seemingly) forever?

I have tried this product on one car ... it did seem to help and it did not clog up anything in the cooling system.
RobLog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes I do.
I once used the same product for a headgasket leak.
Completely clogged up my radiator, had to buy a new one.
Even a radiator repair shop could not clean that **** out.

No I do not repeat same old bullshit going around on this forum.

I know what works and does not from personal experience.
I try to help others as best I can, and actually enjoy helping others with their problems.

Take Rob's advice, try it be my guest.
Let us know how it works for you.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150

Quote:
I once used the same product for a headgasket leak.
Completely clogged up my radiator, had to buy a new one.
A HG leak will sometimes clog a radiator all by itself. The combination of coolant and hot exhaust gasses creates a whitish paste that mucks up the cooling system. This is pretty well documented on this and other forums. So, the fact that you had a clogged up cooling system after using steel seal is not in itself conclusive as to cause. In fact, the clogging may have occurred before the steel seal was even used.

I'm not a big advocate of products like this ... but sometimes they do seem to work.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yep you are definitely right about that.

Saying if or may is purely speculative, but when you physically open up the radiator and see what happened, well its easy to see.

I am curious as to why you are trying to discredit another's experience.

Here is what I know:
SI engines can easily hit 50 bar in the combustion chamber at the "location peak pressure" (lpp).
So ~700 psi is constantly forcing its way out through that tiny fissure in the headgasket seal into the coolant jacket.
A stop leak has little chance to force its way into that opening and seal it when the pressure coming out is 40 X that of the coolant system.

For me this type of product falls into the "snake oil" category.
But to each his own.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I am curious as to why you are trying to discredit another's experience.
Not at all ... only the interpretation of that experience. You think there is a direct cause and effect between using steel seal and the clogging of your radiator. Maybe so and maybe not ... there's not enough information and/or experience to make a sure determination. A one time experience, anybody's, is open to misinterpretation and proves nothing.

Quote:
A stop leak has little chance to force its way into that opening and seal it when the pressure coming out is 40 X that of the coolant system.
That is not something you know ... it sounds reasonable, but it is pure speculation not backed up by actual experience. If reason could solve all our problems, there would be no need for experimentation or real world testing.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 97 Outback 2.5L DOHC 220k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntippet View Post
NO, bad idea.
Not true. One of those "old wive's tales"

Quote:
Subaru has released revised versions of the headgaskets, they used to be bad.
Now, not so much.
The new HGs are far superior to the old ones. Subaru also needed to recall every EJ25 engine, but they didn't.

Quote:
Get the repair done right the first time or you will wish you did.
Nothing wrong with trying Steel Seal, Bar's Leak, etc. They probably won't work but it's worth a try. Not much to lose if your HG is already blown.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

Personally I wouldn't use it or recommend it to anyone ... unless:

They stated that they do not have the money to fix it properly or have the ability to do it themselves and, they state that if it doesn't work ... they are going to junk the car.

I personally haven't seen the inside of a motor or cooling system after this stuff has been used but, I have seen some others years ago. In those cases the inside of the motor was coated with an epoxy like substance [some cured, some just goo].

Even if the stuff only cured at the point of failure, if it came free it could clog the radiator, thermostat, break the water pump impeller etc. I wouldn't recommend trying it first then, fix it correctly if it doesn't work for those reasons.

This job can be done without pulling the motor for around $300 by someone with moderate mechanical skill.

Got to love the "Guarantee" ... if it doesn't work, they'll give you your money back or give you another bottle of it :]
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

I watched a couple videos of people using this stuff, one guy had a good suggestion that may apply if the leak is bad enough and you can identify which cylinder has the failure ... leave that plug out so no pressure is created in the cylinder to push the sealant out of the leak hole [also disconnect the injector so it's not filling it with gas].

A car will run on three cylinders so, it would help give you the best chance of working.

I've never really contemplated using the stuff so, had never really thought of how to give it the best chance possible.

Good luck if you try it, let us know what happens.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: