Poss HG Issue - HELP - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Poss HG Issue - HELP

Hey Guys

First time poster hope u can help.

'05 Legacy 155,600 miles. Bought used at 38k miles.
Maintained by independant mechanics since it was purchased. Car maintained properly and regularly.

Brought car to the dealer for tranny service and differential service last month.

Brought car to dealer for oil change and to check out starter on Saturday cause I wanted to see my bf and he lives in same town (weak, I know).

Tell service guy to change oil, check starter and if he could tell me if the amount of oil they take out of car is same amount of oil they put in car. I asked this because sometimes smell of burning oil comes into cabin and when I was a kid I had to regularly add oil to a car I had cause it burned it.

Guy comes back says oil change done, you need a new starter $450 and the tech is still drawing up the estimate for the new head gasket. I say what hg? He says its bad and needs to be replaced. $1,800.

Says gasket will blow and antifreeze will spew all over the motor.

Car runs fine. MPG has not dropped. Car does not overheat. AC works intermittently.

How do they know? Do they do any tests? Should they have told me what test they did? Can I call them back and ask them what test they did? Why do I not smell coolant in the cabin?? shouldnt that be compromised? Wouldnt there be traces of oil that my regular mechanics would be able to see? They changed the coolant at the start of the summer and said it looked good.

My bf's mechanic took a QUICK look at the engine and under the car too and says he cant see anything to indicate a HG failure but he would like me to leave car there so he can take a better look.

Tell me what I need to know please!!
nygirl278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

so many words I could say but, I'll try to simplify;

1. NEVER return to that dealership.

2. why did you want the starter checked?

3. post your city or bf's city and maybe someone can recommend a different shop to inspect the car for diagnosis/second opinion
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hello thanks so much for your reply!

I asked about the starter cause a couple of days last week as the car started, it made a grinding noise right after turning over. It did it every time I started the car 2 days in a row, and then not since.

Any recommendations for Smithtown NY?

thanks!
nygirl278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: