Subaru Outback Forums banner

Need advice on which parts to use

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  fondo 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to subaru. I actually don't even own a subaru but I'm helping out friend who lacks mechanical inclination. Gonna be doing the HG's for them and would like some advice on which gaskets are best to replace the old ones with. I've always liked felpro but given the nature of these engines I'd like a second opinion. How about using turbo engine gaskets? Any better? I also would appreciate any info specific to this model/year (2006 OB 2.5 NA) that may be useful as I go.
I know I'm gonna need a service manual but not sure which is best aside from a subaru shop manual. Chilton? Haynes? Found a lot info already on the web but since this a common problem, the amount of info out there can be overwhelming. I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
My teardown starts tonight (2005 OB, 2.5i, E253, NA, 115k miles). I got a Felpro gasket kit from ebay for most of the gaskets w/Felpro head bolts, and Subaru Turbo MLS head gaskets (part no. ends w/642). The 770 HGs are for 2007 and newer engines that are semi-closed deck.

My research was mostly through perusing this site. I purchased an electronic version of the full Factory Service Manual from ebay for my '05 for ~$5. Then I printed out the pertinent sections, and have arranged them in a binder so I can go step by step.

As far as refinishing the heads, I've decided to have them done at a local engine shop ($90 machining + $30 cleaning).

Other maintenance that I am doing while I have the engine out:
Replace the timing belt idlers and tensioner (TB and WP was done less that 1k miles ago)
Reseal oil pan
Reseal Seperator Plate
Reseal L Rist Pin Cover
Valve Clearance Adjustment
Compression test before and after service
Maybe reseal Oil pump.

I'm using the Toyota Black FIPG (Form In Place Gasket), part #00295-00103 for all of the resealing.

All of the information that you need is here or on e-bay. I recommend videos from All Pro Auto and briansmobile1, but there are others. Finally, I've taken a good 6 weeks to research, acquire parts, and prepare for this work, so my advice is to take your time and prepare. Good Luck

#3 ·
Thanks for the info!!! It looks like you have really taken a methodical approach to going about this. Is your engine sohc or dohc? I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I should do this repair with the engine in the vehicle. I know I won't know until I have the heads on the bench and straight edged, but is it common for them to be warped? How much have you spent on parts so far? I think I'll heed you're advice on the electronic manual...seems like the best way to go. Would like to here on your progress as you go. Thanks again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.