Coolant Conditioner - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Coolant Conditioner

Just wondering, Do you have to put in that so called conditioner each time your coolant is flushed? Do you just pour in the whole bottle?
OutBack Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Alf is back. in pog form!

Car: 98 outback 5spd MT, the mighty Huc
Default Re: Coolant Conditioner

Quote:
Originally posted by OutBack Legolas
Just wondering, Do you have to put in that so called conditioner each time your coolant is flushed? Do you just pour in the whole bottle?
yes and yes
adler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks adler. hm. i got the coolant flushed sunday, i dont think they put in the conditioner and today is the first real time driving the car. is it ok to still pour the conditioner in there? I guess ill just head to the dealer and buy the bottle after work.

do i just go ahead and pour it in? no need to mix anythign with it?

also, do i pour it into the overflow/reservoir(pink arrow) or in the radiator(blue arrow) itself? (2000 Legacy Outback Limited)

thanks for the help.
OutBack Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Hi, you've probably got it figured out by now, but you pour it in the 'blue' spot (radiator cap). This stuff is rebadged holts radweld from the UK. (If you have the H6 I'm not sure you need this stuff).
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2.5l 2001 OB LTD MT

I just got back from a local subaru dealer, and the parts guy there said you only apply the conditioner once. It's supposed to stick to the parts after that, I think.
Dalrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback Ltd, 2.5L 4 Cyl

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalrain
I just got back from a local subaru dealer, and the parts guy there said you only apply the conditioner once. It's supposed to stick to the parts after that, I think.
That is not what I was told; the service manager I spoke with said it needed to be added whenever the coolant was changed. I believe that is also required to maintain the head gasket warranty extension provided by the recall. I have been documenting each coolant service to make sure there is a record of the conditioner being added should I have head gasket problems and Subaru tries to deny warranty coverage.

Dave
Decius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

The parts guy is mistaken. Subaru has said for all Subaru models "Whenever the coolant is changed for any reason whatsoever, you must add Genuine Subaru
Cooling System Conditioner, which you can buy by the case from your local Subaru dealership parts department (12 bottles, Part Number SOA345001). This is the only additive that has been approved by SOA."

Here's the info on extended HG warranty.

Also Subaru has said "If any cooling system-related repairs are to be paid for by SOA under any warranty or campaign, Genuine Subaru Long Life Anti-Freeze
Coolant must be present in the system. Otherwise, the claim will not be honored."
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: Outback 2000
Default How to remove small amount of coolant?

After learning that I need a special additive, I went to the near by dealer and got a bottle.
The instructions say I must remove 125 ml of coolant; I managed to remove about the half from the top using a syringe but not 125 ml. Subaru's radiator cap doesn't have a strsight
access to the radiator, so the tip of the syringe didn't reach further. (I poured half the bottle anyway.)
This time, I would repeat the same steps to add the additive in two batches. But for the next time, and for those who are going to do this, I wonder if anybody has a clever idea how to take out 125 ml of the coolant from the top. (I am guessing using the drain plug would be very messy and would drain too much of the coolant.)
tk94110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: Outback 2000
Default Re: How to remove small amount of coolant?

Correction: I thought I pulled the half of the amount of coolant but I was wrong; I could pour only about 1/8 a bottle of the additive. I guess I need to remove a lot more. Any advise to do this would be highly appreciated!
tk94110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2008 2.5i Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk94110 View Post
Correction: I thought I pulled the half of the amount of coolant but I was wrong; I could pour only about 1/8 a bottle of the additive. I guess I need to remove a lot more. Any advise to do this would be highly appreciated!
Wait until the engine is cold. Drain a small quantity out of the bottom of the radiator into a clean container. Then pour the entire bottle of conditioner into the top of the radiator. Use some of the coolant you drained out the bottom to top off the tank.
tirolerpeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: