Subaru Outback Forums banner
W

Reaction score

Marketplace Rating
(0.0 - 0 reviews)

Profile posts Latest activity Discussions Buy & Sell Reviews About

• · Registered
    '03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
    1,109 Posts
    I guess the answer as to why you can only put 13 gals in is because that is all you have used, regardless of what the gauge says. Let alone the light.

A couple weeks ago, I let it go until my light came on, and that happened at about 380 miles. When I filled up at 397 miles, I still only put in just over 14 gals.

The lights come on way early, relative to empty.

You just have to learn your car's timing on the light, have an idea of your current mileage and interpret everything accordingly.

Example: During winter mileage times, at 1/4 tank gone, I'm typically at 125 miles, in summer it's 150 miles. At 1/2 tank it's 225/250, at 3/4 tank gone it's 300-325/350 miles. Light comes on somewhere around 1/16 tank remaining (gauge not actual).

The light is just there to tell you to start looking for gas, not to tell you how much is left. There is no calibration on when the light comes on, that I'm aware of. It's a warning only, not a data point.

· Registered
    2017 Outback Limited w/all the goodies. 2013 Outback Limited (sold)
    176 Posts
    Hey, I have a question about our gas tanks and low fuel light. Being that you and I have basically the same year and engine size I was hoping you would know the answer. Anyways my gas tank is 16.9 right? I'm only able to get around 200 miles on the trip meter before the 'Low Fuel Light' turns on. The most I let the trip meter go is around 235 miles. But here is my real question: How come when I go to fill up the car I'm only able to put about 13 gallons of gas and not the full 16 or so gallons? Do you think my gas gauge is screwy?
    Thanks,
    Todd 920-410-9520
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…