GTX High mileage vs Valvoline Maxlife - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default GTX High mileage vs Valvoline Maxlife

Howdy.

It's approaching oil change time for the girl's OB. It has a bit of an internal oil consumption issue, so I'm gonna try a High Mileage oil to see if it can taper the usage a bit. I was planning on running Valvoline Maxlife, as it seems to get good reviews. I can only find it in the synthetic blend around here and I was kinda wanting to switch the car to full synthetic....no dice unless I have some ordered.

HOWEVER the local WalMart is having a killer sale on Castrol GTX high mileage. Straight dino oil...and I haven't heard alot about this particular formula. But the base GTX has done good in my Ford's for years.

Anyone have anything to say about one or the other?
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1996 Subaru Outback

I've been using Castrol High Mileage for years and years on many different vehicles, so far so good!
Fireman78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon

I have been using the semi syn Maxlife for about 2 years in my 00 (140K). No problems at all and with the 5 quart jugs at WM at less than $12 I plan on using it for a good while. Need to change my oil now and am going to get an oil analysis done this time and compare it to the one done at 90K. We will see what Blackstone comes up with about it.
BOBOBW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5 XT manual
Default NEITHER!!!!

Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30. Don't buy the extended life unless you really feel like donating an extra $1/quart to an oil company.

I've been running my '05 OBXT on Mobil 1 since its first oil change, and have changed the oil every 10K miles since. I now have over 65K on the car, and it's going strong...I can still drop Boxters off the line (though that's not hard at 6700 feet above sea level), and I get over 24 MPG Hwy with snow tires and a ski rack on top. With regular A/S tires and no rack, I can occasionally get over 27 MPG according to the trip computer, but I think I get better than that because my A/S tires are taller than the OEM Potenzas I dumped and the snow tires.

Before my Subie, I had an '01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, and it came from the factory with natural dino snot and a factory-specified service interval of 10,000 miles. I asked them if I could use synthetic, and if that would make any difference, and Audi told me, "sure, in your pocketbook. But if you drive hard and it's hot [I lived in Vegas at the time], it may extend your engine life." I did drive it hard. And it lasted just fine...so well, in fact, that Audi bought it back from me and certified it with over 60K miles on it in November of '04.
Stabone33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 08 Outback Touring Blue/Grey w:Alpine stereo,corrosion management,front/rear swaybars/endlinks(Whiteline), King Springs, KYB struts,LWT crank pulley,K&N air filter

Why not buy the cheapest semi synthetic available? The car is losing oil anyway, sort of a perpetual oil change. I use the cheapest full synthetic I can buy, on sale I'll buy a couple cases. Started using synthetic in 86 on a 1973 Polara, haven't stopped. The Polara was the only engine I blew up, and that was only a timing chain.
Synthetic is good for cold starts, hot engines, parasitic loss and they say the molecules shear less than conventional oil. I use it in brake lines, ATs, differentials and engines. Haven't tried it in my 2-cycle motors yet.
ported is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Outback LL Bean

My oil analysis lab, Blackstone Laboratories, says:

"What's the best oil to use?

Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?

Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us."

After many years of costly experimenting, and oil analysis showing no differences, I have now returned to plain old high quality oil. Changing it regularly is far more important than the miniscule differences between brands or syn vs dino.

Troutnut1 (Dennis)
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

hehe except, stay away from generic oils at dollar stores and such. Lubes&Greases has a great article this month about a number of engine oils they bought at various places around the country and sent in for analysis. Several came back with terrible results and appear to be simply be used engine oil mixed with fresh base stock.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L 5spd

Recently I bought a large quantity of Castrol GTX, but that was because it was on sale. I'm game for any oil, as long as its dino, and a reputable brand name. But I do rather like GTX. Then again, I doubt it makes much of a difference.

::EDIT:: Also, I've never been sold on the idea of "high-mileage" oil. Just seemed a waste. Just my thoughts, everyone has their own preferences.

--Alien Out

'99 LOB MT 2.5L ~136k miles?
'85 Kawasaki 700LTD shaftie
'79 Suzuki GS850G also shaftie
'07 Ducati ST3
'99 Honda VFR - 122k miles, Has one deer to its record. Also took out wrist, but deer came out worse.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
SubaruOutback.org Founder

Car: 2010 Outback Unfixable Shaker Edition

I've always been a big fan of Castrol products, they've served me well and I'd use their dino oil over any other brand of dino. As far as synthetics go, I'd rather not give any more money to a company like ExxonMobil considering that they are now the richest corporation in the world. Thats not to say that other major oil companies aren't money grubbing whores, only that I'd rather not feed the biggest beast. As far as synthetics I like Shell Rotella products and Pennzoil.

Castrol is still my only choice in dino oil.
Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

I've never really run anything other than Castrol GTX dino in my various thunderbirds, it's always performed well in them.

After some hunting around on BITOG I'm thinking of an Auto-RX treatment first, as the OB has been filled with whatever the shop had for it's entire life as far as I know.

I was looking into the Maxlife oil as it seems highly recommended to help with light oil consumption, which this car has. I'm not expecting miricles, I'm just trying to make a 112K mile engine that hasn't seen all the care it's needed last a while longer.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: