New Subaru Oil Filters - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
412,000+ miles strong :)

Car: 1995 Legacy L Outback 2.2L 5-speed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks

Hello all,

First off - Thanks to the moderator for the welcome. My apologies for making a somewhat duplicate topic thread. I should have searched a bit more. I have been lurking the Subaru forums for a while, but have just recently made an account. Hello all!

Second - In regards to the new blue Honeywell/FRAM filter.... While I'm not a fan of the construction and certain materials method of FRAM I do believe it's extremely important to use a filter with a bypass spring/valve rated for your engine. As others have mentioned before there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket filters that properly cover this spec (23 PSI). I was initially a bit displeased with the discovery that FRAM makes their new filters; however, I think they're still the best for your Subaru. What good does a high quality WIX, Purolator, K&N, etc... do if some of the oil is recirculating completely unfiltered? I imagine, for folks that change their oil regularly this never becomes a noticeable issue. It's folks that might go for a long time or operate in extreme conditions.

Last - Just a little bit about myself. I have a 1995 Subaru Legacy L Outback 2.2 liter 5-speed and coming up on 413,000 miles. I've done most all of the maintainance myself and I've never used aftermarket parts. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles / 3 months myself since I got it with 10W-30 dino oil brands. Perhaps that's a bit excessive frequency to some folks, but hey... 413,000 miles The only thing major it has needed was a new transmission around 320,000 miles.

This has been the best vehicile I have ever owned so if I get too hung up on the details of certain parts forgive me. Thanks for all the good info and discussion. I know there's more stuff I'm curious about, I just can't think of it at the moment. More to come later I guess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Soobs!

413,000!

Was this all yours, from new? In any event, that's really impressive. I'd be delighted if I can reach even half of that, even with my also "overkill" approach to changing all the lubes, not only the engine oil.

With your experience, I would imagine you would have more to tell than questions. I look forward to your posts here in the future.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 PM

Car: '09 OB Ltd. (ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant); '14 Impreza Sport Premium
I'm thinking of going w/ the Mobil 1 filter: anyone know the specs of the bypass valve on it?

thanks,
Jon
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

just some updates

Hey folks~

Well after poking around on the internet a bit I found that the Bosch 3310 oil filter, which is recommended for my 2.2L Subie, has a bypass valve rated at 20 - 25 PSI. For the 2.5L normally aspirated & turbo engines the Bosch 3300 is recommended and the bypass is rated 14 - 18 PSI. The other big difference between the two is that the 3300 has an anti-drainback valve and the 3310 does not.

Also, something else worth noting... It's my understanding that the Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filter used by Subaru of America prior to the change to Honeywell was rated at 18 PSI.

I'm still curious to know if the switch to Honeywell was purely a cost related move or if there were other factors. Surely if Subaru needed a filter rated at a higher bypass PSI Tokyo Roki could have made an adjustment. I haven't cut open a blue Honeywell filter yet, but I have a good idea of what I'll find...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by plain OM
Soobs!

413,000!

Was this all yours, from new? In any event, that's really impressive. I'd be delighted if I can reach even half of that, even with my also "overkill" approach to changing all the lubes, not only the engine oil.

With your experience, I would imagine you would have more to tell than questions. I look forward to your posts here in the future.
Don't jinx me now... I need the ole girl to keep going for at least another year.

I'm the second owner of this car. The original original owner is a good friend of mine. While he had it the only shop it ever saw was at the dealership. So it was taken care of quite well even before I owned it.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have no doubt that the switch to a North American source of filters was a cost related move -- not only the product itself but also shipping and duties etc come into play. But I don't think we'll find any publicly-issued information on this.

This isn't the first time -- as I noted earlier, SOA sourced filters from Purolator some time back. And even while SOA was sourcing the Tokyo Roki filters for distribution in the U.S., for a long time, up until very recently, Subaru Canada was distributing its own oem-spec filters made by Honeywell Canada. (White, not blue, although now it uses the same blue filters as SOA).

All of the filters I tested were "recommended" by their respective manufacturers for Subaru engines (typically the 2.5), yet their own published by-pass valve specs, where I could find them, did not match the Subaru spec in the factory service manual.

Where did you get the Tokyo Roki filter information? I tested two of them (both the same Subaru part number for the 2.5 engine) and found that their valves just began to open at no less than 23 psi.

I would not use an aftermarket filter manufacturer's specs as an indicator of what Subaru requires. For example, the difference in the Bosch filters you highlighted does not necessarily mean that Subaru has different by-pass and drain-back valve specs for the two engines. I would always compare with the Subaru specs.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by plain OM

Where did you get the Tokyo Roki filter information? I tested two of them (both the same Subaru part number for the 2.5 engine) and found that their valves just began to open at no less than 23 psi.
Interesting! Then that would convince me this was purely a cost related move.

A person that goes by 09rexwagon on BITOG said he tested the Tokyo Roki filter at 18 PSI. You never know with this stuff though. The guy claims that Tokyo Roki didn't meet Subaru specs and I have serious doubts about that. They were used for a long long time.

On a positive note, his examination of the OEM Honeywell revealed a bit better filtering capability than the regular orange-can FRAM.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...10171&fpart=19

Yes I have. It is in the mid to high 18psi range when the valve begins to open. The Honeywell is dead on in the high 22s to mid 23s (I used 2 different filters with 2-3 trials on each and the average was 23.5psi). This confirms that the Tokyo Roki, did in fact, not meet Subaru specs and hence the change to the Honeywell....just wish they would have made them do a non-cardboard endcap.

What I will say about the Honeywell Subaru filter is it has much more pleats and what seems to be better sealing ABDV-to-cartridge and BV-to-cartridge junctions relative to an Orange Fram. Suffice it to say, I will be using the OEM one until my warranty runs out. I have contacted Wix, Bosch/Purolator, and Champion Labs with this concern. Hopefully if enough Subie owners voice this concern, they may have a new one for us in a few years.

I would use the Purolator XX14460 if it would fit my car though...it has the right bypass spec, but no ADBV, which at this point, I don't care about since it has next to no point on a vertical filter that is located as low as Subaru filters are located.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:03 PM

Car: 2009 2.5i Outback PZEV Satin Pearl White, Auto
Those by-pass numbers seem awfully low but then again they don't indicate the percentage by-pass which will determine the engine operating oil pressure. It seems to me that is the critical number and the less oil that you by-pass at low rpm the better; provided you don't exceed the max recommended pressure.

As a car starts to wear out (increased bearing clearances) wouldn't it benefit from a higher by-pass pressure? Would synthetic affect the ideal by-pass spec?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: