Fuel leak at filler neck? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Fuel leak at filler neck?

Any words of wisdom here?

I noticed the smell of raw gas the other day, and looked under the car (just behind the right-rear wheel) and noticed some gas on the ground. About that same time, the "check engine" light came on and the code says the gas cap is not on tightly.

The gas cap is correct, and it is just about new (1 yr old) and seems to be fitting perfectly. Is there a common area near the filler neck that rusts out or some type of vent that might have some off or rusted out?

Thought I would ask here before I start tearing into it not knowing exactly what I was looking for. All I know is that I smell gas near the rr tire, and the check-engine light says that it is a faulty gas cap.
2012 VW Beetle Turbo
2008 MX5 Miata PRHT with all the trimmings
Kleenax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Was this soon after filling the fuel tank?

There have been reports of rusting of the filler tube leading to CELs due to incorrect pressure in the fuel tank. (Same as a loose gas cap.) But a hole in the filler tube would leak liquid only if the tank is overfilled up into the tube, which shouldn't be done because it can cause liquid fuel to get into the charcoal vapor recovery box (also up behind the right rear wheel). A flooded recovery system could give off fumes, leak gas, and cause a CEL.

If the filler tube is rusted where it enters the tank, it's possible that fuel would drip out, but I think the filler junction with the tank is more centrally located (although liquids can follow some strange routes before falling to the ground).

Other common sources of fuel tank related CELs include broken/rusted out vent lines (rubber and metal), and faulty vent valves.

Might want to raise the car, or otherwise have a look underneath to see if the source can be better identified.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

The CEL probably came on when I was recently on a trip to Cincinnati. It went out the next day, and then came on again about the same time that I noticed a raw gas smell and subsequently found the small puddle of gas just in front of the RR wheel. I will give the filler neck and vent a better look tomorrow then; thanks.
2012 VW Beetle Turbo
2008 MX5 Miata PRHT with all the trimmings
Kleenax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 1998 subaru legacy outback 2.5l
Post filler neck

i too am having the same problem. if you go and do a google search of your problem, go on Official Rusted Fuel Filler Neck thread - Subaru Legacy Forums i did and very helpful stuff.. just hoping the answer would have been on subaruoutback.org

anyways, the stealership will run you about 195-300.00 as to autozone oreileys, etc. have no idea what your talking about and do not stock it. after market, no bueno because your missing pieces you need. go to the dealer, grab your haynes manual and a 6 pack and get on it..

helpful resources: for possible aftermarkets, keep in mind dealer so you have everything..

99 Outback - replacing fuel filler neck - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hope that helps
Old 04-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Outback!! 2.5

does anyone know what year and models filler necks are compatible with the 98 OBW? I guess i'm going to go to the yard for one tomorrow.
adam98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

97-99 should be the same. Maybe 96 too, not sure.
How to put a Modern Stereo in your 2005-2009 Outback with Automatic Climate Control
Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in diagnostic scanner?
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 3.0R

95 through 99 are the same. I got a gas tank and filler off a 99 and installed that into the 95 OB I had when the tank seams let go from rust.
Before = 183WHP @ 6849RPM/170ft-lbs @ 4238RPM
After Ed = 195WHP @ 5756RPM/197ft-lbs @ 4861RPM, +7% HP, +16% torque, fully stock

cracklincrotch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 85BRAT82BRAT92SVX92SS06outback

suggest to buy new, the filler tube and vent lines with it, runs about80-120 bucks new. then their is a pressure sensor and that usually is shot too so get it new too.

I wouldnt get used on this, the used ones in the rust belt are no good. check them out at http://www.fillernecksupply.com/servlet/StoreFront

I ordered from there, but after the fact, Subaru dealer is same price, so go with OEM next time.

Spray paint the CRAP out of it once you know they send the right one. Use primer sealer, then rustoleum. Allow to dry. Then hit is with undercoating, then install. then hit with undercoating spray again, and either mod the plastic shield so the crap doesn't collect at the bottom and rust it again, or leave off the shield altogether . I have modded a few so water and debris falls out the rear, tin snip style.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Outback!! 2.5

yeah looks like i'm going to the dealer in the AM. too bad i stripped one of the three screws holding the old one in. then broke the "EZ out" (B.S., POS) off in the head.... YIKES! i'm kinda stuck now... thinking maybe i should try to cut the head of the screw down with a dremel and then pound it through. couldn't get through it with a drill bit.
adam98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 85BRAT82BRAT92SVX92SS06outback

use antisieze when you install the new ones, especially in the gas fill area those 3 things need antisieze on install.
good luck remember the tank vapors are flammable.

vice grips and or file, then snap it off.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: