What gear oil for front axle 2000 OB Auto trans - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default What gear oil for front axle 2000 OB Auto trans

Hello to all in Suby Land!! I need some help, I just bought a 2000 OB with 134000 on it and am changing all the fluids because i dont know the history of service. I read on this Forums or another one not to use Synthetic 75-90 with the limited slip additive in it, but all the parts stores carry it like that. I don't want to burn up anything, please steer me in the right direction.

Thank You
DZ
DaveZeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Got Valvoline Durablend 80w90 in both the front and rear diff on my 2003. No complaints, as I got it on sale.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
I read on this Forums or another one not to use Synthetic 75-90 with the limited slip additive in it,
I believe this might have been in reference to gear oil for the Manual Transmission. Mobile 1, in particular, is not recommended for use in the Subaru MT due to some impact on the synchronizer metals, or something like that.

As you noted, virtually all widely available GL-5 gear oils (natural and synthetic) I've looked at indicate they are suitable for use in regular and limited slip differentials and/or have related additives. But the reference to limited slip differentials is intended for mechanical clutch types, where the appropriate gear oil can reduce clutch chatter. But the gear oil is otherwise fine for standard differentials and even the Subaru LSDs that use a viscous coupler, which is a sealed component inside the differential.

Many here use Mobil 1 in the differentials, and others use a wide range of different brands and formulations. As long as it meets Subaru's specs, such as GL-5, and is of the correct viscosity (75W-90 or 80W-90) it should be fine.

There's a good thread in the DIY section that might be of help: Changing Front Differential Fluid. Automatic Transmission
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2002 VDC Wagon H6 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZeus View Post
please steer me in the right direction.

Thank You
DZ
Amsoil 80W-90.
182RG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

80/90 Front

75/90 Rear

I used the weight that was called for because I had it. If not, 80/90 for both should be fine. Think I used Lucas In one and Valvoline in the other.

Has the timing belt been changed ? If in doubt, might want to put that and all the related items on your list of things to do ... pretty soon. Throw that belt and the diffs won't matter much ;]
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

^^^ that is why I have 80w90 in both, there was no 75w90 on the sale table

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the answers, so I should be fine as long as the GL5 is used? I have been thinking about timing belt, from what I can tell this was a one owner car from Cali, I got it from a little car lot thats been around for ever and here good thing about the cars they sell, I would like to think that the belt has been changed by know being that it has 134000 and change but I cant be sure so yeah a belt is in order, any belts you guys recommend dealer or name brand from parts store?? Thanks Again
DaveZeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '05 turbo Baja

Yes, you should be fine. Subaru differentials hardly EVER fail. I use Renewable Lube in mine.
bulwnkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: