Leaking oil from a Pressure sensor - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Leaking oil from a Pressure sensor

I have been leaking small but disturbing amounts of oil from what appears to be some kind of oil sensor on my 2.5L 2007 Outback.
I scoured the web at first and identified its as being an oil pressure switch, went to the local autoparts store, and got one that matched the online picture. When I got it home and held it next to the malfunctioning original, it was clear that they are not the same item.
I am reluctant to pull the original until I have a replacement as the car is still drivable, but by it was clear that the original had a square plastic harness on top for an electrical interface, the replacement has a square metal post.
pdm70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Further searching on this forum revealed some pictures that id the part as a VVL oil pressure sensor. The local autoparts store had no idea what that may be so I contacted the local Subaru dealerships' autoparts counters and each of them told me I needed an oil pressure switch, each describing the aforementioned 'switch' with the incompatible square electrical post. One of them even got confirmation from a tech.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

The leaking part has a white harness on top. Next to it is another harness with a blue top. I have been trying to post pictures but cant seem to figure that out either.
This is the front right of the engine compartment. There is an identical arrangement of harnesses in the back left.

Can anyone help me id the part so I can get a replacement?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

trying to post a link to a pic:
Facebook
Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Look at the attached diagram in this post: Codes from my 07 outback
I believe the pressure switch you are referring to as being on the front right is when facing the front of the car. (Convention is that left and right are determined as when sitting in the car facing forward. So that would put the problem at the front of the left side of the engine.)

The pressure switch you're referring to, if the diagnosis is right, is "Variable valve lift diagnosis oil pressure switch (LH)"

See the parts diagram here: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legac...llustration_3/

The pressure switch is #6, p/n 25240AA060 in the list below.

(I checked my 07, and the pressure switch on that side also has the white connector -- the blue connector is at the oil switching solenoid valve.)

This post has pics of the switch on both the left and right side (same leaking problem): http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...5&postcount=15

And this link has a pic of the switch itself: http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...var=0&dc=&gen=

I'm surprised that the Subaru dealer didn't get the right thing.

Should do better armed with this info. Let us know how it works out.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you so much!
I looked everything over and that does appear to be the part.
The part number does correspond to what seems the correct part through online sales. I will give that a shot.
Too bad about the local Subaru 'experts' being confused. Glad I didn't leave my chariot with them.
Thanks again!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Glad I didn't leave my chariot with them.
The pressure sensor switches for the variable valve lift system are noticeably different from the sensor used to monitor engine oil pressure (the one that triggers the Oil Pressure warning light when engine oil pressure is too low). They also have different part numbers. The dealer technician would have obtained the correct one, although it might have taken more than one trip to the parts counter or a wait for the part to be ordered.

Let us know how it turns out . . .
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
just passing through

Car: 2007 outback 2.5i
Send a message via Yahoo to sixfifty

very timely!

mine's leaking too.
sixfifty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: