Trans fluid getting into my oil - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Trans fluid getting into my oil

I have an '04 legacy outback with 117K. I've only had this car for a few months now. Soon after I bought it I took it to our usual subaru mech. to check it out. He said the trans fluid was a little low so he did the drain, add, and new filter. Soon after that I gave it an oil change and thought to myself that a little more than usual came out. I just marked it up as the previous owner put too much in. Later on I checked the oil and saw the level was way higher than it should be, slightly thinner, and had a red tint. I know this isn't good at all and will do another oil change, but I'm in the process of moving and was wondering if anybody had any idea of what is causing this. I've read others mentioning this online but with different vehicles and only one mentioned a transmission vacuum diaphragm, or modulator valve. Any help will be welcome.
iicchubrando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

have you checked the transmission fluid level too?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

It's possible for the ATF from the transmission to get into the front differential, but there's no open path I know of for it to get into the engine. The front-most ATF use is in the torque converter, and if it were to leak, which itself is rare, the ATF would drain out the bottom of the bell housing. Even if the bell housing were to fill with ATF, the fluid would have to get by the rear crank shaft seal. That's possible, but the filled-bell housing scenario is not likely.

If it was ATF in the engine, it would be more likely someone might have mixed up drains and/or fill tubes.
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: '15 FXT

Couple things:
Could be tranny fluid in the oil, in which case someone put it there.
Could be coolant, there are easy cheap tests for that at the auto store.
Could be someone before you is using an additive or a dye to convert up or find some other problem.

By the way, tranny fluid is oil with more "stuff" in it so if it's only been a little while and you get it cleaned out you should be okay. Over filling oil can be really bad though.

Again this emphasizes the high importance of always checking your fluid levels frequently.

Common sense, isn't common.
Novablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '05 turbo Baja

If there's a small internal head gasket leak, AND a small leak in the ATF line running through the engine coolant radiator, I suppose it's possible that ATF _could_ get into the engine oil. This route of entry would see coolant consumption (or even overflow tank level increase if the high-pressure tranny pushes fluid out of the radiator), and also coolant in the engine oil. I'm not AT ALL convinced this is happening, but I suppose it _could_ at least in theory.

How's fuel economy? Last time an engine (on the farm some years back) saw engine oil levels increasing over time, it was a leaking injector dumping fuel into the engine after shutoff (and during running).
bulwnkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22

fresh oil and filter, drive for a couple hundred miles and repeat. better safe than sorry.

and check the trans fluid level. a drain and fill there can't hurt either. but the ATF dip stick is really hard to read correctly so be careful.

there is no way ATF got in the crank case unless someone put it there.
canubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

can't happen (not including bulwnkl's awesome account above), so either what we're reading is wrong, someone is putting the wrong fluid in the wrong hole (happens) or something else is wonky.

the ATF and engine oil are completely separate systems and share nothing where mixing is possible.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

most likely scenario, mechanic handed the car over to an 'apprentice' who put trans fluid in the oil - realized part way thru he scr3wed up, properly filled the trans but was too frightened to mention the oil issue.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hello Guys,

I have a buddy at work that just asked me this same question today. He has an 03 Outback and is seeing the same issue. This guy does all his own servicing and recently found a trans filter leak so drained and replaced both the engine oil and trans oil's. He knows enough not to have put the wrong fluid in the wrong location.

Today he checked his engine oil and there is a slight tint of red and the trans fluid is low...

OP

Did you happen to find anything out on this issue?

Thanks,

Nate
Nate_03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think the red tint to the oil in the engine is totally unrelated to the ATF - no possible way for the Fluid in the Automatic to get into the engine.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: