2013 Outback Amsoil Oil & Filter - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2013 Outback Amsoil Oil & Filter

hey all,

getting ready to test out amsoil's SSO 0W-20 for more or less a 12-15k miles/1 year OCI (will check oil regularly etc of course) but I was wondering - for those of you 2013 outbacks, do you guys know if Amsoil has an equivalent oil filter? Right now it's listed as no product recommended, so I'm not sure if I should just buy the oil and then get a filter from the Subie dealership or what.

Also, do you guys think running an extended OCI with Amsoil is potential for a warranty issue later down the line if there is a failure? Thanks
kyoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
gls

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i

Subaru's filter for the 2.5 2013 outback has a higher bypass design than most. The oil filter aftermarket really hasn't caught up yet, and high capacity oil filters aftermarket filters are not readily available. For your 5/60 warranty period I would stick to Subaru filters and 0w-20 synthetic oil with 7500mi oil changes. You can still use any oil that meets the specs. Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 is a lot cheaper than Amsoil, about $25/5qt at Walmart. Even Subaru oil at the dealer is cheaper. If you use Subaru bucks you can get all of your maintenance done free too

It's hardly worth the risk of voiding your warranty just to save a little on maintenance. The Subaru oil filters are not designed for extended drain intervals anyway. I'd wait until you are past the warranty period and hopefully high capacity filters will be available then.
gls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gls View Post
Subaru's filter for the 2.5 2013 outback has a higher bypass design than most. The oil filter aftermarket really hasn't caught up yet, and high capacity oil filters aftermarket filters are not readily available. For your 5/60 warranty period I would stick to Subaru filters and 0w-20 synthetic oil with 7500mi oil changes. You can still use any oil that meets the specs. Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 is a lot cheaper than Amsoil, about $25/5qt at Walmart. Even Subaru oil at the dealer is cheaper. If you use Subaru bucks you can get all of your maintenance done free too

It's hardly worth the risk of voiding your warranty just to save a little on maintenance. The Subaru oil filters are not designed for extended drain intervals anyway. I'd wait until you are past the warranty period and hopefully high capacity filters will be available then.
gotcha, thanks for the info
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

just to confirm though, there IS a risk of voiding warranty going with a longer OCI? even like 10k miles?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
just to confirm though, there IS a risk of voiding warranty going with a longer OCI? even like 10k miles?
Yes. The maintenance schedule is actually a schedule, and 7500 means 7500......it does not mean 10,000-15,000, or when you get around to it.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldog View Post
Yes. The maintenance schedule is actually a schedule, and 7500 means 7500......it does not mean 10,000-15,000, or when you get around to it.
gotcha.. didn't know subaru dealerships were that stringent.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
gotcha.. didn't know subaru dealerships were that stringent.
Every auto manufacturer is the same way. They don't have a "unless you use Amsoil" clause in their maintenance schedule.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatabbot View Post
Every auto manufacturer is the same way. They don't have a "unless you use Amsoil" clause in their maintenance schedule.
lol well i figured in case of something breaking down they'll try to find whatever they can to void the warranty, even if i had UOAs for every oil change.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback/ non-turbo, auto

I've been running extended service intervals with Amsoil for 35 years, including many new vehicles under warranty. Provided the engine is mechanically sound, there are simply no issues - the oil works exactly as advertised (several of my oil analyses are posted in this forum). In vehicles under warranty, I also take used oil samples at the end of a 15,000 mile change interval and have them tested. This is done mainly to make sure the engines functioning normally. This is the procedure I'd recommend for new vehicles under warranty. Once you've established a suitable service interval, there is no need to do oil analysis, unless you strongly suspect a mechanical issue.

As for the filter, Amsoil does not yet spec one for this application. I'd recommend using the OEM filter and changing it halfway through (6000-7500 miles or six months), your anticipated service interval for the oil.

If you have any further questions, please PM or email me....

TS
TooSlick is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlick View Post
I've been running extended service intervals with Amsoil for 35 years, including many new vehicles under warranty. Provided the engine is mechanically sound, there are simply no issues - the oil works exactly as advertised (several of my oil analyses are posted in this forum). In vehicles under warranty, I also take used oil samples at the end of a 15,000 mile change interval and have them tested. This is done mainly to make sure the engines functioning normally. This is the procedure I'd recommend for new vehicles under warranty. Once you've established a suitable service interval, there is no need to do oil analysis, unless you strongly suspect a mechanical issue.

As for the filter, Amsoil does not yet spec one for this application. I'd recommend using the OEM filter and changing it halfway through (6000-7500 miles or six months), your anticipated service interval for the oil.

If you have any further questions, please PM or email me....

TS
All that is wonderful.......Until the motor pukes, and you expect a warrantied repair or replacement. Following the manufacturer's maintenance schedule leaves less room for them to weasel out.

I take it you have never had a motor go boom during the warranty period. If you do, I hope Amsoil steps up and covers the repairs......Because it is unlikely the manufacturer will......Even if it was not a lubrication failure. Good luck.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: