Subaru Outback Forums banner

Texas!

22K views 68 replies 46 participants last post by  Aleks.Ander 
#1 ·
There has to be a group of folks here in Texas. I live near Austin which is probably the Subaru capital of Texas but there has to be tons more in SA, H-town and the Metroplex (to name a few). Come on guys and gals, let's get together and organize something! Summer is going to be over before you know it, maybe the "Heart 'o Texas" (Waco) is a good meeting point. Ideas, that's what I'm asking, and participation even if it's just a few to start out with. Lake Travis is a popular spot. I dunno, you tell me!

Hobie

#2 ·
Anyone, anyone, Bueller...

OK. So no one in Texas is interested in getting together. Maybe you haven't seen the post until now. I won't give up, there has to be folks somewhere that are willing. Maybe you're waiting for the temps to drop a couple 20 degrees. That's fine. Look me up when you do.

:12:

#4 ·
Sand

A buddy of mine was at Port Aransas a few weeks ago, said lots of folks were driving on the sand. He has a Z71 truck and didn't get stuck but watched a lot of people get stuck in their trucks and cars. He said a Subaru drove in and out like it was on pavement, no problem in the sand. To hear him describe that weekend it was funny as he said the Subaru just motored on through where so many others had gotten stuck earlier.

I got a new Mercury Sable (FWD) stuck in some sand in Alabama a couple of months ago trying to turn around on a narrow strip of asphalt with sand on both sides. Rental car, my coworker and I got it unstuck but it sure would have been nice to have AWD! A few minutes later we were on our way so wasn't too bad. I knew what to do having driven in soft stuff before but it wasn't easy.

Have fun in South Padre, I've never been but would like to.

#6 ·
I guys. I was over at the Padre Island National Seashore over a year ago with my Baja. It performed pretty well. I got some strange looks. The sand was actually hard enough that I didn't have to air down my tires. There were a couple soft spots. But I never got stuck, or even close to getting stuck. Also, make sure you wash your car thoroughly after you're done, especially the undercarriage. I had a few rusted bolts due to the salt. There are actually a few seashells lodged in weird places in my car.

Well, I want to see if there is any interest in checking out the Hidden Falls Adventure park in marble falls. I think there are some trails that Subarus can probably handle.

#7 ·
Hey, I am actually moving to San Antonio some time in this coming summer. So you mean to tell me there are actually Subarus in TX? Because I'd never heard of Subarus until moving from CA to northern NY. The bits of my family still in CA still aren't really sure what "that Subaru thing" is.:D

I have to say I'm a bit concerned about the heat, and a bit annoyed at not having worn out my snow tires yet. Oh, well. :rolleyes:

At least I'll be able to ride my bike year round.:2:

#9 ·
I just bought my first Subaru so I'll be a part of the Texas club in a few weeks!

I'm a triathlon coach in Fort Worth and bought an '08 Outback in Florida. I was already heading down there for the 70.3 World Championships so now I get to fly in, race, and drive my new ride back!

#10 ·
FL to TX

Hey Aaron,

Nice to have you on board! Have fun driving from Florida to Texas. I've been to all the states you'll drive through but haven't done that drive myself. With it getting cooler you shouldn't have as many bugs splattered all over the front of the car.

Yup, there's a few of us Subaru owners down here. I have to admit that having been in AK and CO this year there's no comparison, though. Mine rarely see's off highway use (an occasional short dirt road here and there) but that's not why I got mine a year ago.

I've been trying to go on camping trips for a few months but they didn't pan out. My dog (Gunner) really wants to go! Might get to see Padre this coming spring.

If we get enough folks here we can actually get together some time on a weekend or something. I don't mind driving, with upgraded audio system the trip is always nice.

Dave

#11 ·
H-Town here

Yep, I too just jumped on the 2010 Subaru OB band wagon...great car so far. Had fun driving through the "snow" up in north Texas last weekend. Now I'm looking forward to heading to the hill country before it gets too **** hot!

#13 ·
Funny, weeding through the forum, there seems to be quite a few TX owners but yet so few have stopped by to post on this thread...

#16 ·
krum, about 50 mi north of dallas. i got cured of camping by the army in vietnam. you can have it. i use the outback to deliver mail. i engage not only the awd, but also the abs lots of times every day i deliver. sometimes, i leave the trans in first(automatic) for long stretches. one street ends in a dirt road, and i have to make a uey. just like the rally cars, full throttle, yank the emerg brake, and full lock turn, stay on the gas. it will do a really tight 180. gotta hit it just right, and sometimes it is really muddy and the outback will just spin, but what a hoot. delivering in the ice is interesting, too

#19 ·
from Dallas

Hello from Dallas,

05 Outback wgn XT Limited owner here. Just joined and looking for other Dallas owners wanting to get together for some outdoor adventures. Now starting the process of making our family truckster into the outdoor beast never seen before in these parts...lol

Anyone else in the DFW area? Does anyone know of any local Texas companies lifting Subas?
Help would be welcome.

#23 ·
Another New Subie here in Austin, TX. '08 Outback 2.5XT. Aside from camping and a few parks I haven't been off the road much. My searches have turned up little offroad opportunites (aside from Big Bend Nat Park) here in TX. Anyone got any good locations for a little dirt and or mud? As mentioned in one of the early posts, has anyone been here? ->Hidden Falls Adventure Park - Marble Falls, Texas

#24 ·
Just upgraded the '97 to an '00 OBW. Yee haw :)

Hidden Falls Adventure Park is cool... a huge range of terrain. Not sure I'd want to take an Outback there unless it was well-outfitted.

There are also 2 TMTC properties in Texas. One in Gilmer, the other near Ozona.

LBJ National grasslands outside of Decatur has lots of fairly flat dirt roads if you just want to get it dirty. The fun factor multiplies after a good rain.

#25 ·
Ill post up. The wife just got '11 3.6R Limited. It drives like a dream. If i could describe the vehicle in one word id say "smooth". It handles very well, much like a car and yet still carries that ruggedness of an SUV. I got my first speeding ticket in years the first night we got her! :mad::p

Oh yeah im from SA. :cool:

#27 ·
Hail Damage to my new 2010 Outback.

The hail storm a couple of weeks ago pelted my Outback. No windows were cracked or broken. Insurance wrote a check for it to be repaired. They said it was the biggest check they've written so far. They said the hood and roof would need to be replaced instead of repaired. Mercy!!!

If the metal of the Outback that thin?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.