TDCK's Redneck Denver Repair Facility - Page 35 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #341 of 346 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:40 PM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post
..... Oh...notice. 4" grinder, no guard...6" wheel. (worn down to 5 1/2" currently. BTW...look how close the exposed wheel is to the paddle, and add another 1/4"...yikes)
Ouch - that hurts just to look at it.

My Makita has a backside trigger; keeps fingers out of the line of fire. I still keep the guard on it though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 346 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2005 XT, Bone Stock...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
Ouch - that hurts just to look at it.

My Makita has a backside trigger; keeps fingers out of the line of fire. I still keep the guard on it though.
I have been "going Indian" (guard-less) for a really long time with the thing. Mostly wood working...if you can believe it. A 50 grit dosc and a backer wheel...instant coping saw...

It when that cutting wheel binds up and the thing jumps at your face or chest. I don't have a lift...I am on jack stands...that angry cutter is often less than a foot from my face...

The Makita is a nice grinder as well.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - chassis - brakes - cooling - power.
XRT Tuned, Running Blind Without Eyesight

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Outback XT ... No Longer Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeGrown Wrenching Services ... Colorado Front Range[/U]
Custom Fabrications .. Repairs .. DIY Instruction Classes .. Mobile Operations
post #343 of 346 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:27 AM

Car: '05 330xi 6spd/'05 OBXT 5spd
Well, turned out I just needed more space to turn the breaker bar - got the car up on a lift and 20 min later all the bolts were free. Getting everything back on was a PITA, but its done. Now I just need an alignment.

Any recommendations for a shop that will know what to do with the new camber bushings?

post #344 of 346 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcoleman View Post
Well, turned out I just needed more space to turn the breaker bar - got the car up on a lift and 20 min later all the bolts were free. Getting everything back on was a PITA, but its done. Now I just need an alignment.

Any recommendations for a shop that will know what to do with the new camber bushings?
Nice work with the cheater.

The camber bushing, well, you have to explain it to them. And explain how to adjust/rotate them...it's very hard to rotate with the car weighted. The best way is to lift the weight of the car off..adjust, then rest back down. It's a head scratcher for a little bit, for any new guy.

If you want it done right, and your car is in Denver (or can be) Firestone on 104th and Sheridan. Ask for Richard (a young Korean punk, tuner type) to work on the car. You van tell them Chris recommended them/him even. Rich knows how to set a car up and will even set to your specified settings. They are open on both Saturday and Sunday.

I buy their lifetime alignment, $175.00 and it's a one time fee. Then they don't mind if I swap parts and come back 4 times a year. For years and years.

If you are not already aware, the Gen3 XT needs some ballast in the rear. The rear toe moves toward positive when the suspension squats under load. make sure you have a full tank of fuel. And most folks will put about $150-200lbs in the rear seat/cargo area. I used more, but I have the BC coilsovers and they are stiff and don't squat. If you get the alignment set with just a touch of toe-in, when weight...it still gets you in range with toe-in when you pull the weight out.

If you NEVER car passengers, or payload EVER...a full tank of gas will do it for you.

tdck's FrankenWagon

tdck's Cherry Bomb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #345 of 346 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post
Nice work with the cheater.

The camber bushing, well, you have to explain it to them. And explain how to adjust/rotate them...it's very hard to rotate with the car weighted. The best way is to lift the weight of the car off..adjust, then rest back down. It's a head scratcher for a little bit, for any new guy.

If you want it done right, and your car is in Denver (or can be) Firestone on 104th and Sheridan. Ask for Richard (a young Korean punk, tuner type) to work on the car. You van tell them Chris recommended them/him even. Rich knows how to set a car up and will even set to your specified settings. They are open on both Saturday and Sunday.

I buy their lifetime alignment, $175.00 and it's a one time fee. Then they don't mind if I swap parts and come back 4 times a year. For years and years.

If you are not already aware, the Gen3 XT needs some ballast in the rear. The rear toe moves toward positive when the suspension squats under load. make sure you have a full tank of fuel. And most folks will put about $150-200lbs in the rear seat/cargo area. I used more, but I have the BC coilsovers and they are stiff and don't squat. If you get the alignment set with just a touch of toe-in, when weight...it still gets you in range with toe-in when you pull the weight out.

If you NEVER car passengers, or payload EVER...a full tank of gas will do it for you.

could you shoot me a pm traildog
post #346 of 346 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtGodmage22 View Post
could you shoot me a pm traildog
Sure...

tdck's FrankenWagon

tdck's Cherry Bomb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: