Subaru Outback Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDCK's ******* Denver Repair Facility

45K views 404 replies 29 participants last post by  traildogck 
#1 ·
Ok, Facility might be quite a stretch. But I am open for "******* Business".

On your Subaru, or...something else. Doesn't even have to be a car. Bikes...sure...Skis...you bet. I can do the best hand tune and hot wax you are going to find this side of the Continental Divide.

I guarantee all of my work, old school style. You are welcome to watch, or to help. The price only goes up if help tho...Kidding. I have helped a few members out there. They can vouch.

No...nothing crazy...no engines swaps or rebuilds, no HGs...at least not for now. I am talking things like brakes, struts, suspension and bushings, exhaust. Anything steering or chassis related. Drivetrain will be limited to CV reboots and swaps. Also, wheel bearings, driveshaft and carrier bushing replacements. Of course, routine maintenance of all scheduled fluids and filters. Plus, suspension diagnosis, some engine diagnostics and code reading. I will even develop a logging and flashing service. There will be limits to both the service and the responsibility...If that gets up and running.

Again, I'll work on any rig. I have had may hands lately in a Ford F150 and Ram 3500 Cummings. I am going to build a gallery, maybe of happy customers and whatnot. I will post some of those repairs here, once I track down the pics.

:welcome2:

Contact me, for now...by PM for local Denver work.

See less See more
#4 ·
Do You mean a "handy"...Hmm Dunno. I don't think that is legal here. Weed is, :smoke: but not that. I suspect the drive to Nevada will quell any member savings using me, unfortunately.

Perhaps I can corrupt Rosie. That is if, willing participants don't mind claws and fur. Although, I have witnessed her vigorously "washing" herself...so you never know what u might be subjected too.

OK...Serious wrench work only...Now, maybe a if a single Gal in a pinch...needs a pinch...I can probably oblige that too.:love:

#6 ·
My neighbor here at the Apts...the Guy with the white Leggy GT...I have done some wrench work on his F-150 also. Nothing crazy, plugs and wires. New batter and starter cables. A little "motor honey"...she developed an engine knock.

I just decided to pull the dipstick for fun. Nothing. Added 2 qts...Nothing on it. WTF ??? Added 2 more and some honey. Now we got something. 4+ qts low. The thing passed emissions 3 weeks ago. The oil was changed by the local Ford dealer 6 weeks ago. It doesn't leak. It couldn't have burned it.

I think the dealer forgot to fill and check it. It has to be.

You will not get that kind of service at the "******* Garage". I might forget to tighten your wheels....(I seem to have a life long issue with that) Jimi1976 can vouch for that too, twice I think. But I will always check the fluid I am contracted to change. That's just 101

Anyway...he bought the truck for $800...I assume with a good motor. He dropped about $300 in 6 months. He's into me for $50...he just sold it for $1800 with a bad motor. Not Bad.

BTW...he sold the LGT a few weeks ago at about $600 profit. He drives a BMW 335 now.

The ******* Garage success story #1

#7 ·
As mentioned above, tdck will work on anything. My actual career of choice is design and carpentry. So, I can definitely remodel your bathroom. My pricing structure doesn't seem to change much. A beer and a brat will get you pretty far with me on a strut job. It's more like steak, ribs and infused vodka Bloody Mary's to get your bathroom replaced.

:gmb: LOL

But, this here has been my weekend ******* project for a friend. The shower was leaking internally in the wall and was all caved in at the valve. It was nasty tile anyway, old cast iron tub. I, of course, has to re-plumb the copper supplys and brass and lead drains. B*tch Kitty handled the sheet goods heavy lifting. I don't use Frank for this stuff.

Yes, if you look close on the 1st picture, that is an electrical panel...in the shower. WTF? Yeah...well, I am not moving that, but I armored and waterproofed it. I used some "wet patch" rubberized roofing cement to cover the back side of the panel, cake frosting style. Then I wrapped a 2x6 over it, then I covered all of that with a water proof vinyl "seam tape". The outside wall was insulated with "homosote" fiber sheathing, butt hat was it. I put 2" foil faced rigid in there and spray foamed all of the gaps

I used the same tape in the shower for all of the hardie-backer joints. Then, I used the "red stuff" over it all. I still have to build the little shampoo nook on the wall opposite the valve. They guys bought a brand new...cheapie tile saw. Home Depot...DIY special. It's pretty nice, the laser was helpful after the sun passed over the peaks and went to bed.

I got the floor tile down and called it a weekend. I am back to do the wall time, grout and set the vanity and toilet. It should be close today. So, to any locals...the TDCKRNG is a mobile entity, with many services. Come play with me.

Attachments

#8 ·
and all this time I thought " bitch-kitty" was Rosie the kittycat.

you "NEED" to trade the jeep straight up for
a pickup truck with a 8 foot bed and a cap.

lifting shitt unnecessary onto the roof: will lead to two things (particularly when standing on a icy sidewalk).

breaking a sheet of drywall

or re-injuring something already 90% gone,

#9 ·
No...B*tch Kitty is the XJ, Twitch Kitty is the FrankenBike. Frank is Frank.

Rosie is the Cat.

And yeah...I do need an 8' bed. The XJ used to be the x-wife's. I had a Full Size Suburban and a Ram 2500 Quad Cab LB, for work. I try not to haul materials, but I like to go high on the Jeep, especially if it is wet or icy. It keeps me on ( in practice) for climbing and mountaineering.

You are right, my whole body is 90% gone...I might be 10% un-injured.
It's a close call.

#11 ·
I watched that all time as a kid. That show was awesome. Even dabbled into the "Bionic Woman". The "Sasquatch" episode with both of them was about as cheese as cheesy gets.

Steve Austin was better than Michael Night, IMPO. Now, whether Lee majors was better than David Hasselhof. Dunno.

But I don't want to start any fights. We can't forget McGyver

#12 ·
I watched that all time as a kid. That show was awesome. Even dabbled into the "Bionic Woman". The "Sasquatch" episode with both of them was about as cheese as cheesy gets.

Steve Austin was better than Michael Night IMPO. Now whether Lee majors was David Hasselhof. Dunno.

But I don't want to start any fights. We can't forget McGyver
Lee Majors WAS married to the late great Farrah Fawcett.

Burt Reynolds was / is? married to WKRP's Loni Anderson.

above is a discussion. (Farrah vs. Loni, who would you rather, all those being natural I think, or would like to think).

the Hoff spouse(s)? (I am too lazy to look that up for comparison).

#13 ·
I don't think Loni is "natual"...But Burt isn't either (hair piece)...Like Shatner. I decided to just embrace the bald, and shave...or clip real short. Easy.

The tile has been slow going, very detailed, and I have had some real job interviews as well mixed in. You can probably not see it, but the window sill has a "frown" in it. The sill could not be replaced. But my grout line matches the curve...

yeah....:29:

The client is totally happy. With the detail work, I mean. I hate the tile...

:16:...IMPO

Porcelain as well, so it chips easier than a Gen4's sheet metal... dents. PITA, but is coming out quite nice.

Attachments

#14 ·
Here is the final product...sort of. I still have to set 5 pcs of bullnose around the window, and then grout. And i am not even a tile guy.

I am into way more than I bid, but that is usual. I was contracted for tile work only. I am doing drywall, compound, and plumbing as well...torch work.

I would really like to get done and paid.

Attachments

#15 ·
You know I think the tile 'ill look good when the bathroom is complete and without utility lighting. It looks like a darker bathroom style to me.

If I ever get my wings back and blow this popsicle stand plus meanwhile come screaming through Denver, I will give the TDCK RedN Garage a shout. Like you said there has gotta be something you can trick for me and my Pizza Hut monies.

Dreaming of such new gear, and boots, and gear, and boots.

#17 ·
I am finishing up the odds and ends on the bathroom remodel today. It has finished out great, very clean. The project...ballooned, as bad as Frank did...but the clients rolled with it. Just watch..."the Money Pit"....2 weeks is now 2 months...in the remodel world. But they have me so cheap...they are killing themselves to keep me happy. :whip:

So...Tonight, I get a big steak, a big, very good, beer and some great company. They are super family, and, tdck gets some good food too.

Next, tomorrow...hopefully I will helping out another local OBF member.

#20 ·
HG on a H6 eh? Has that been diagnosed for 100% ?

I was originally thinking about avoiding HGs, I currently do not have an engine hoist...but that is a technicality really. Small hurdle in the process. Another member and I have to swap out his "rusted through oil pan" on a Gen3 2.5 NA. I'm going to need a hoist...or a ******* beam and pulleys for that.

Ok...sure. PM me. Lets see if we can work something out.

Although your username is a tad...scary. I'm Polish and Czech (skinny white boy)...so take it easy on me with your "hung-ness"

#21 ·
1+ on all of that, (screen name: made me laugh).

$150 for a new engine crane.

a little less for the one that goes on the pickup truck bed./ hitch. (one more reason to trade the jeep for a pickup), I guess one could put the floor one inside the pickup though, with some bigass bolts.

#22 ·
It's in the title of my place...******* Garage.

I have a 6'... 6" I-beam I can bolt to the ceiling in my garage. Not quite as good as tree, or sketch.

Ok, maybe...way sketchy...maybe I'll lash it around the floor framing above as well with steel cables...just in case.

Nah...there is a Harbor Freight I can walk to...seriously. I get a few car mags...so I always have a 20% coupon too. I can swing a proper crane if necessary for peace of mind. LOL

#24 ·
you could get a chain system to hang from the ceiling joist, BUT as you know Condos/ Apartment structures like yours may not be built physically as good as the code needs. = probably need bolt through 4 joists to make sure you were not going to pull down a weak one. (one of the things they address in dimensional lumber codes, ...variation in the individual boards, some being stronger some being weaker (although they physically look fine within the grade). ....and one of the reasons why they make it very hard to build a house / sell a house made from locally sawed boards.

I don't think you will make any friends at the condo complex if they hear one of the joist boards crack, and the vibration goes down the whole structure.

folding crane, = find little use for it, sell it on craigslist in 3 days for $20 less then you actually paid.

#25 ·
My place actually has 12" engineered, metal truss webbed beams on 4' centers. This place was modularized, panel built. I am sure...very popular 15 years ago. The garage ceiling (Apt floor above)can take it no problem.

Besides, I am in like Flint with all of the Maintenance staff, and their bosses. From the regional director, to the maintenance supervisor...all the way down to the groundskeepers. TDCKRNG has serviced them all. Oil changes, brakes, CV shafts, Catalytic Converter and exhaust work...85% has been on Roos.

H*ll, the bathroom remodel is for the 2nd in command over here. I could pull the place down and still be alright...with the $ I have saved them all. But seriously, I would invest in a proper floor hoist. Even more seriously, I really don't want to do a HG on an H6 anyway...and there has been no contact from well...hung...arian...I could not save him much money any...if i were to do it.

Today...Though. I am going to fix an 8 year old leak on B*tch Kitty. Yeah, 8 years...I don't pay very much attention to her. Hence the moniker as such, but as you see, I deserve it. I got part of the leak last year with a new valve cover gasket. Now...a $13 O-ring kit for the oil filter plate adapter...

Then some fresh...dino...5W-30 and Mopar filter. She's got 183K on the big six. She's been through 3 suspensions, 3 front ends, 2 axle sets, 2 driveshaft sets...on 1 motor, 1 tranny, 1 transfer case...

That's what is on the block...right after I glue in a backsplash and caulk some inside shower joints.

(phrasing...he said caulk:gasp: and joint:smoke:)

#26 ·
My place actually has 12" engineered, metal truss webbed beams on 4' centers. This place was modularized, panel built. I am sure...very popular 15 years ago. The garage ceiling (Apt floor above)can take it no problem.
pic of the garage ceiling please? (wondering if you mean trusses with the steel webbing, or wooden OSB I beams,

Edit: or some kind of real fat OSB or plywood beam).

#27 ·
Oh...it's closed up in drywall. But I have punched a hole for my scope camera.

It is a steel truss web, steel flanges, buried in like a 3x4 timberstrand so it can be mechanically fastened rather than welded. Big monster floor joist. I would not be overloading a standard TJI...come on man. I went to architecture school...like almost 30 years ago. I may be a dumb wrench, but when it comes to dwellings...

Don't make me bust you up. :headslap:

#28 ·
what is the name of this thread, you are in no way a dumb wrench.

just a quality shade tree mechanic, with laptops,

and a garage without a lift.

and YEARS of experience working on the most finicky problematic subaru known in the universe. (all subarus being more simple than she).

including this twin turboed EG33 BRZ.

#29 ·
Nice...but as requested. Pictures...The cage...as I like to call it. usually there is an unruly animal in there. B*tch Kitty is no exception. I am trying to be a little bit more organized lately. Although the bike shop is going to have to move upstairs t the balcony.

This what we looked like going in, B*tch Kitty's motor blood is draining now, Just like a ghoul.

Laptop, I know right...I love that part. The 1st Gens are not as much fun in that regard. They are more old school. RR can't talk to them. LOL.

Attachments

#30 ·
Wrenching didn't happen at my place, but it was still *******. The tdckrng is mobile entity. Plus, yesterday, involved a torch. I was hanging with a local member, we to to tackle a rear wheel bearing on a Prius.

It turned out to be "welded" caliper pin. Like I said...torch. Things actually went ok, We got the pin free with heat. It cooked the boot tho...and the existing pin was rusted pretty bad.

Can u believe you can't find a Prius rear caliper pin in stock...in all of Denver metro. The boot was good enough to hold grease, the pin I was able to de-burr enough rust off of so it would slide.

The worst part of this story...Jimi1976 has had this car to the dealer in Chicago where he bought it..."certified" and a local Denever dealer...for noise issues with the driver side hub. All in the last 2 months. There are expansion springs the Prius uses to completely retract the pads. I have seen this set only once before...on Shimano hydraulic MTB brakes (pedal bikes)...to eliminate drag. These springs were not installed. They are now...There is now way...they could have removed themselves.

This was certified car, bought with 70ish K miles...that had new rear brake pads installed by the dealer as part of their "certified" progam...incorectly. And now, Jimi1076 has a problem 30K later...so frustrating.

Take you car to a ******* or ShadeTree guy...at these you can trust us...we work for hops and food. BTW. 1 more notch in the tdckrng bedpost...LOL.

:love:

Attachments

#31 ·
why those springs were not installed is beyond me.....perhaps the last mechanic to touch them thought they were pointless? I can't see them breaking, or falling off.
I returned the hub to O'reilly today (the cute girl was working there again....bonus!). When she picked the box up....she said "wow this is a light hub!" I said it's for a Prius......ah-ha!

#32 ·
The tdck garage had a visitor today. A fellow, anonymous OBF member. Another, newly transplanted soul to the Front Range. A Gen3 and XT to boot. A really nice, low millage car and a really nice owner...all I did was provide a space to them to work, some cardboard and a drain pan.

You don't want to let your oil change schedule go right. Oh.. @Jimi1976 provided a crush washer...lol. From when he donated Genuine Subaru Parts and Fluids to the tdck garage stock/backstock. Spread the love. Right.

#33 ·
you-all turbo guys should be all over a fumoto or a extractor.

with your maximum 3750 mile oil change / oil filter change =:behead: rule

#34 ·
Old School

Yeah...you got that right...clean juice.

Me...I am old school. The old man...Mine. Bought a fancy extractor, he doesn't like it. That's the only testimony I need. Plus, I like it when my neuropathy ridden hands/arm lose grip of the drain plug...it then, rolls down my arm an into the un-screened drain pan.

I love that.

Fumoto, what?

#35 ·
Yeah...you got that right...clean juice.

Me...I am old school. The old man...Mine. Bought a fancy extractor, he doesn't like it. That's the only testimony I need. Plus, I like it when my neuropathy ridden hands/arm lose grip of the drain plug...it then, rolls down my arm an into the un-screened drain pan.

I love that.

Fumoto, what?
I know EXACTLY what you're going through with the neuropathy. I have it in my feet and finger tips. Can't hardly play the guitar for more than a couple minutes anymore. And forget me walking around the mall anymore either... Some days I just want to stay in bed, but I force myself to get up and face the day. I guess we all have to cope with our limitations the bast we can.

#38 ·
@traildogck
Awesome story! We have to keep up the good fight! Because if we complain, everyone around gets pissed because we're talking about ourselves.
Back in 2006 I blew out my L-5/S-1 disk. 3 back surgeries, a bout with diverticulitis that almost killed me, and destroyed my bank account, gaining allot of weight, 2 heart attacks, and now, diabetes and lastly, the neuropathy for the last 5 months, I think my plate is friggin full. I have to do the same as you with sleep. After a couple hours, either my back wakes me up feeling like it's tearing in two. Or mt feet start burning and having stabbing pain. My wife and I where only married a year when I was first injured in 2006. The shiit she's had to put up with for the last 9 years, it surprises me she hasn't left already. The day she does, nobody, including me, will be surprised.
But I stay optimistic, that some days will be better than others. I think that's why I sometimes get snarky on here when someone complains because their car makes flappy noises when they turn their wipers on. With all that I've been through, I find it kinda, well, stupid to sweat the small shiit about such mundane non issues, like people biching about the fact they can hear wind blowing while they drive... I have, at times, tried to go back and apologize, but it's very hard to do when I'm in pain 24/7 and the ones that complain most likely have to issues, other than hearing the wind while driving 80mph. You have to be leading an extremely blessed, and boring life to let such little things bother you that bad. Bad enough to take the time to sign up on this forum just to whaa baby about your mundane lives... (Just some insight on my odd behavior)LOL! And to those anal retentive people out there, don't make fun of my spelling. I spell the curse words so they don't get ******* blocked...

Anyway, not trying to upstage or anything, I just want you to understand I know what you're going through. Actually, that's why I became an Outback man. I want a car that no matter what, it'll start and get me to the doctor, even if there's two feet of snow on the ground. I love the reassured feeling knowing my Outback is sitting in the carport, ready to go, no matter what.
Sorry, I'm having a Smirnoff night tonight, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.