Michelin Primacy MXV4 Review. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Michelin Primacy MXV4 Review.

Car: 2003 Subaru Outback base model wagon. 2.5H Auto.
Tires: Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/60/16 H rated.
Miles on car at install: 87500ish.
Current miles on tires 100.

These replaced a pair of about 50% worn Potenza G009 in the aforementioned size and speed rating. I was not a fan of the G009 at all, but have heard that it's replacement the Potenza G019 corrected some of its' flaws: noise and slush traction.

Initial impression: Wow these things are quiet! I knew the Potenzas were droning more as they wore down, but not this much. I can now hear my loose exhaust shield rattling ALL the time instead of only as slow speeds. Yay or darn, not sure yet. (Heat shields with less fortitude than a beer can, it's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.) But these tires are very quiet on asphalt and only have a mild high pitch whine on concrete during braking (such as an off ramp). They seem to handle very calmly, but I only have 100 miles on them thusfar. They seem to be well balanced, 1 wheel needed two weights and 3 only needed one. Will be getting an alignment soon as I want them to wear well.

Hasn't rained yet so no input there. Will update this thread during the winter to see how they do in Chicago's snow/slush/ice/mix.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Thanks for the update. I'm considering a change to the MXV4 (225/55/17) and, although it's a different size, and primarily for fair weather driving (I have separate winter set) will follow your reports with interest.
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 05 Outback 2.5i

I have the same tires on my Outback. They came on the car when I bought it. In the rain we have had here they seem to do fine. I'm not sure how many miles are one them but they look to be fairly new and I have put a good 3000 miles sense I have had the car.
OutdoorOBW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
Thanks for the update. I'm considering a change to the MXV4 (225/55/17) and, although it's a different size, and primarily for fair weather driving (I have separate winter set) will follow your reports with interest.
OM,
My folks are running them in 225/55/17 V rating on their 2006 OBXT. My Dad actually suggested them to me as a replacement. I've driven their car in dry and wet, but no winter conditions. The tires seemed comfortable and predictable in their responses. Maybe a little "floaty" in the luxury ride sense of the word on the highway. They have less than 15k on them right now but they have worn good. They are not summer performance rubber, but they gave me plenty of warning (starting to squeal) before they started to break loose on a twisty mountain road...where I was trying to make them break loose to find their limits.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

I have a set of these on my '04 TDI wagon. They are a great tire. I have had them on for just over a year. They are quiet, wear very well, and are a great tire in the rain...as long as you don't drive like an idiot in those conditions. They are similar to the michilin destiny which is the previous tire I had on the TDI. They lasted a llllloooooooooooonnnnnnnnng time so I went back to the same line of tire. If you purchase them for an all round cruising tire, I don't think that you will be disappointed.
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 05 Outback 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo2 View Post
I have a set of these on my '04 TDI wagon. They are a great tire. I have had them on for just over a year. They are quiet, wear very well, and are a great tire in the rain...as long as you don't drive like an idiot in those conditions. They are similar to the michilin destiny which is the previous tire I had on the TDI. They lasted a llllloooooooooooonnnnnnnnng time so I went back to the same line of tire. If you purchase them for an all round cruising tire, I don't think that you will be disappointed.
Did you drive with them in the snow at all? If you did how did they do? I am wondering how they do in snow seeing as this will be our primary car when the white stuff hits(g/f's car is a dodge neon and well we can just says its not all that great in the snow).
OutdoorOBW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Soon as I see some, I'll report in about snow. My folks saw about 6 inches in their 2006 OBXT with 225/55/17V MXV4's, but it is hard to compare that with my car, they have a better AWD system than I do.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing how Kaylee does in the white stuff this year, almost anything would be an improvement over last winter.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback 2.5i LTD MT

I'm pretty much settled on getting these (225/55/17's) for my 2006 OB.

Anyone have any thoughts on the H vs. V rating? Is there a noticeable difference in ride quality and handling? Is V worth the extra $ per tire?

Michelin has a $70 rebate going on until Nov. 15 when you buy 4 tires too!

By the way, are these considered directional tires? I've been searching but can't find anything.

Last edited by tylerb83; 10-26-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: additional question
tylerb83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Just this guy, you know.

Car: 2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.

On the directional tires issue, I have not seen any thing on mine to indicate that they are direction dependent.

Also, on the rebate, they have been running that offer since July when i got my Primacy's. They keep saying that it will end, but they keep re offering it. So don't panic to get your tires before the offer expires, they will likely just re-up the offer.
Startiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the H vs. V rating? Is there a noticeable difference in ride quality and handling? Is V worth the extra $ per tire?
I'd like to hear from others as well. It's interesting that for the two versions of the 225/55/17, as far as I can tell from the Michelin web-site, all the specs are identical except the speed rating and the Michelin part number.

I read somewhere (and of course don't remember where) that the difference might be an additional nylon belt to provide higher speed stability, but I would have thought that would also affect other parameters such as weight capacity.
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: