Uneven wear question? Tire wear 401. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Uneven wear question? Tire wear 401.

I have 30% of the circumference of one tire's outside edge worn bald. All of the other three tires outside edges are worn evenly at 39K on the stock Contis. The tire with 1/3 circumference of the outside edge worn down is on the drivers side.

I have at lest 10-15k life left on the 3 evenly worn tires.

There is a slight positive camber accounting for the bit of outside wear on all the tires. They have been balanced and rotated very regularly every 5K after the first 10K.

I did have my driver's side strut leak and was replaced under warranty.

I don't think the compromised strut accounts for the strange bald portion of the one tire's outside edge. Nothing on the internet has yielded anything and the techs and managers where I get my car aligned were not helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Either it was a balancing issue, a hard skid brake that I have no recollection of, or a defective tire.

Any insights on this one tire's anomalous wear pattern would be appreciated.

AltaBrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica

I heard of Conti's being out of round before, and not able to balance. Odds are it's the tire that is the issue.
benamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Have you had it aligned since the issue?
Was the balding tire on the drivers side front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaBrig View Post
I did have my driver's side strut leak and was replaced under warranty.
Strut can cause poor tire wear.
And the top strut mount bolt affects alignment - they may have goofed it.

At such low mileage you should have never had an alignment yet unless there's a very compelling reason.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
Have you had it aligned since the issue?
Was the balding tire on the drivers side front?

Strut can cause poor tire wear.
And the top strut mount bolt affects alignment - they may have goofed it.

At such low mileage you should have never had an alignment yet unless there's a very compelling reason.
Had it alligned by the dealer and firestone. The tire has been rotated back to front most recently. I noticed it first on the back, but speculate that the issue may have started on the front. The edge is bald on a portion of the circumference.

The leaking strut may have had something to do with it, but I don't know how. More positive camber would have peeled off the whole edge, but it is more severe on the patch where it is bald and grooves are gone, wereas they remain on the rest of the tire albeit the remaining grooves are going fast.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.

Once a tire starts to wear unevenly, it will continue to wear unevenly. Though you think you caught the bad strut in time it already caused that tire to develop an abnormal wear pattern. And once it started to wear in that pattern, it just kept going.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
SE95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE95 View Post
Once a tire starts to wear unevenly, it will continue to wear unevenly. Though you think you caught the bad strut in time it already caused that tire to develop an abnormal wear pattern. And once it started to wear in that pattern, it just kept going.
True. Though I am not sure the leaky strut was the culprit, but it sounds like it could have been if it was not recovering fully and accentuating the slightly positive camber. Slightly positive camber may have been a part of it, but I am wondering why it wore irregularly around the outside edge with one portion wearing more than most of it? At almost 40k part of it may be my driving especially after reading how some are getting over 70k out of their stock contis?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaBrig View Post
True. Though I am not sure the leaky strut was the culprit, but it sounds like it could have been if it was not recovering fully and accentuating the slightly positive camber. Slightly positive camber may have been a part of it, but I am wondering why it wore irregularly around the outside edge with one portion wearing more than most of it? At almost 40k part of it may be my driving especially after reading how some are getting over 70k out of their stock contis?
Mileage on tires varies VASTLY based on the area you live in, where you drive, and how you drive. If you drive primarily on the highway you will get much better mileage than someone who drives primarily in the city. Around here, we have these things called hills. A lot of people say "Pssh, I have hills where I live too". Not really... Western PA is nothing but rolling hill after rolling hill. Lots of bends, twists, inclines, etc that over time DESTROY tires. Start and stop just wears them out. A customer of mine got a whopping 15,000 miles out 0f the OEM Michelins on his Hyundai Sonata. Typically, if you get 30k out of your OEM tires in this area, you are doing phenomenal.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit

Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Good Points. Grandparents met at Theil College which is a little NW of you in your neck of the hilly woods. I drove through PA a few times when I lived in MI. Great Grandpa went to Gettysburg Seminary on the other side of PA. How many civil war buffs will be out there this July? Going to be in the hundreds of thousands for the sesquicentenial I will bet.

I am not so confounded by the fact that they are wearing down, but rather that one is worn out pretty much in the one spot. I just want to get even wear on all fours by proper balance, rotation and alignment and am trying to figure out if I screwed up the maintenance (balance, rotation, camber, cross camber), or is the one tire is a stinker, or if the strut is culpable.

My driving is start-stop daily city, on and off the freeway, lots of turns from high to low speed on non so good industrially zoned city streets subjected to lots of heavy semi traffic, and on the weekends it is up the s -turns into elevation and back down with a wee bit of unpaved beach and forest roads consisting of sand, gravel, with a few rocks to boot. It has been put through more extreme measures a few times on ATV roads where the car and tires had no business being, which could have led to the strut's early demise, though a few members here have said that premature strut failure is not uncommon on the GEN 4.1 OB.

The stockers have been fully put through the ringer and I hate to admit it but recently in bad snow /slush/ ice the old (slicks) got to wear cables after sliding downhill under power in first (NO BRAKES). Don't tell SOA. No problem with the cables. A jeep with snows was off the road flipped and several 4wd trucks had slid off the canyon road shoulder so I felt better safe than sorry.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE95 View Post
Typically, if you get 30k out of your OEM tires in this area, you are doing phenomenal.
really? okay well, my tires seem to wear very fast....and I live in unmaintained WV roads with steep switchbacks, gravel roads, rutted up roads...not just bad roads...but really bad considering they're my daily commute. by winters end (it's already happened now) the black top is gone in some areas and it's just nasty rutted mud...mixed with left over black top here and there...

so this eats up tires at a considerably faster rate? makes sense i just didn't think it'd make that huge of a difference but maybe it does. 30k seems unlikely to get for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
really? okay well, my tires seem to wear very fast....and I live in unmaintained WV roads with steep switchbacks, gravel roads, rutted up roads...not just bad roads...but really bad considering they're my daily commute. by winters end (it's already happened now) the black top is gone in some areas and it's just nasty rutted mud...mixed with left over black top here and there...

so this eats up tires at a considerably faster rate? makes sense i just didn't think it'd make that huge of a difference but maybe it does. 30k seems unlikely to get for me.
Sounds about right. 30K on OEMs, as I said, is phenomenal. We see a lot of 20-25K on original sets. We had a customer at work that we put a set of Yokohama Geolander HTS on his Nissan XTerra. First set he got 60K out of. Second set he got about 25K out of. Huge difference, right? I asked him if his commute changed. Sure enough, his commute was all highway when he bought the first set, whereas recently his commute turned into all city.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: