Subaru Outback Forums banner

Snowy Road AWD Operation

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  subiesailor 
#1 ·
We have a Subaru 2012 Outback (OB) 2.5i Limited with good tires. It replaced a 2003 Volvo XC70.
When driving home, my Better Half backed off the side of a snow covered road. This resulted in the Passenger back wheel off the road and unsupported. The Driver front wheel was in the air. The Driver rear and Passenger front wheels were in contact with the road surface, sort of an "X" configuration.
When she tried to drive out, only the PB and DF wheels turned, the non-contact leg of the "X." The other two wheels did not move. We pushed the "traction" button on the lower left of the dash. No change in wheels' response. We were pulled out by tow truck next morning.
Next snow prompted a "I am stuck in the driveway" call. She had backed down the snowy driveway, but could not get back up it into the garage.
My question to Subaru Forum is does this sound normal? I thought AWD means all wheels turn. Our dealership said Normal for an OB stuck this way. They say no problem. If the FORUM say Abnormal, what do I ask my dealer to check?
Thanks, All
Pat

#2 ·
Awd realy dont means all wheels turn, just all wheels drive. Easy way would be to read about awd more and watch videos. Awd in subaru means lot things depends what engine , what transmission and what model configuration you have. those X situations are hardest for subarus but even older models realy managing that if you know what you doing. Newer models should not spint wheels that in air but give grip to those that have traction. In ideal situation even if one wheel have traction, subaru goes, well in real life you can allways find too hard conditions for car to move.
And its unknown what means good tyres . For snow must be good winter tyres , not AT .bad tyres simply wont do notin , no matter how good awd is.

#4 ·
As already mentioned - AWD is not the same as 4X4. In your car, there is a computer 'watching' the rotation of the wheels and making decisions regarding where to send the torque. Hence, the computer must be given the proper signals.

Did you place the CVT shiftier in the 'M'anual mode? It is said this tells the AWD to be more aggressive at getting moving in a slippery situation.

Also, there is no alternative to studded Hakkapeliitta ® tires. (arguably the best snow-tires on the planet)

#5 ·
Nearly all the new awd vehicles today need constant throttle held for a few seconds so the system can brake the spinn8ng wheels and thus push power across to the opposite side. I think the 12s have this tech. Manual 1st gear, traction control off, and holding enough throttle and in one spot for a few seconds should get you moving. Note!!! That does not mean race the engine and add more and more power or mash and lt off the throttle which are all the things I see people doing that is completely wrong. The system needs a second or two at a constant throttle level to get power delivery figured out. When you mash the pedal, let off or race the engine or simply dont give it a second once the wheels spin your defeating the process and the car cant get the power moved to the tires with grip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.