Subaru Outback Forums banner

Tires for a 99 outback

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  subydrift 
#1 ·
hey,

i searched a little and didnt find anything.

i need new tires and im not sure what to get. i want to take it on the beach and possibly take it thru some little trails. nothing crazy at all.

what tire and size would perform well offroad and onroad?

i cant have dedicated on/off road wheels at the time. im hoping by september ill have another set of wheels i can dedicate.

also keep in mind i do plan to bring it down to stock legacy height in the future also but i want to take it on the beach after that still. so i need something that wont rub at stock leggy height

i was thinking of a tire size like 215/60(or 65)/r15 and i have no idea what brand will do well. i dont have much of an idea about tires or taking it on the beach or offroad so please excuse me.

i know the pressure has to be dropped and will the smaller side wall pop of the bead if its dropped?

any advice is appreciated. thanks

***shouldve searched a little more i apologize.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey dude, fancy seeing you here.

For tyres on your OBW, you can go with 215/70-15s for better off-road. A lower profile tyre won't help you much and it will cause you to wind out on the highway. I had 205/65-15s on mine and the speedo was off by 4+ mph.

Are you going to lift the car at all?

#4 ·
The stock tire size 205/70R15 so your quite a bit lower than stock as is. I run 215/70R15 on my 97' Outback and there are no ill effects. The sidewall is roughly 3/8" taller than the stock size so you gain a little ground clearance but its not big enough to make the car feel sluggish or slow. Still very peppy. Just for comparison... If you are running a 205/60R15 then your current tire is ~1.61" smaller in diameter than the STOCK tire size. So you are sitting ~3/4" lower overall ground clearance than the Outbacks are supposed to. If I were you and you plan on taking it off-road at all then go with a 215/70R15 Yoko Geolander A/T or similar A/T tire like the General or Dunlop. Still streetable but will give you that added off-road traction when you need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.