Subaru Outback Forums banner

would anyone consider doing the WABDR this summer?

30K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  bradze 
#1 ·
since i learned about it a few years ago, i wanted to do it. my friend was so excited to go with me this summer but now he can't. i don't know anyone else who can live without cellular service for 5 days. i've heard people that have done something like this in other states had a great time. i bought my awning just for this and am thinking of getting the add-on room.
if you don't know what WABDR is here's a link Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR)

#2 ·
Told my wife about it, we are totally down. Would say we catch up via pm and set some times and such. Have the wheels, skid plates and camping gear...would be like our weeks spent in the desert!

#3 ·
forgot to mention, i was thinking the week immediately following west coast subaru show. that way you could come for that, a major subaru thing. people from all over the country come to the northwest for that show. there is camping there that weekend and the actual show is on saturday afternoon. its in enumclaw this year, my wife works there so maybe she can stop in. also much of eastern washington is desert.

#5 ·
So Wait :|,

....this has nothing with meeting / greeting Xray techs at the Seattle area WNBR?

#7 ·
Certainly need some traction boards and a winch too maybe. Instead of CB I'd rather use the 2-Ways I have: a lot less involved than a new install!

So you're only looking to run part of the trail? Any idea which part?

Never heard of the Subaru group/meeting you mentioned. I'll have to look it up. Not sure if attending is worth it, as the drive alone will already take a few days, and I'm 11 hours away from you now: that adds 2 days driving just to get there and back. But I'll look at it as a possibility.

I wonder if I should just remove my front bumper before the trek begins.

Maybe we can gather a list and split the items for this trip, this way we only spend 1/2 this time on accessories?

Those dates might present a problem. I'll have to check but we are house sitting around the last week of June and first week of July.

#8 ·
just possible recommendations. i think i wanna do the whole thing. im going to the NW Overland Rally June 23rd-26th. so that and august 12-14th are my only restrictions. i still haven't put on my rear diff skid plate, i definitely need to do that. i have a winch sitting in my garage, but i can't weld and im probably gonna get a bumper from grant wilson but don't have the money now. that blown engine in my impreza set me back and the house needs to be painted by september.

#11 ·
So my availability:

blocked (for now) Last week June, First week July
blocked for sure Last week August, First two of September

The in-law is supposed to be visiting with her new boyfriend somewhere before/after all of that. If we are going to do this thing, I'd prefer to have some dates nailed down so I have an excuse not to be here when she is! :nerd:

#9 ·
I like the idea of following someone with another vehicle with the traction bridges, high lift jack, etc. in it / or on it. (so that bradze and his wallet do not need to purchase or carry such things)

ideal person would be driving a G500, a range rover, or a jeep, or a Raptor.
...and look like Jennifer Aniston,

#10 ·
Ah, I ain't scared. I've taken much worse in the OB. Having 2 cars is an amazing security blanket, and I've done most of my stuff alone with just the wife and I to get ourselves out of trouble.

We've drive all the high mountain roads here in Utah (except 4x4 trails) and all over the desert (we are free canyoneers and like to be in isolation) through 18" deep clay, to small water holes during flash floods and the thickest clay like mud ever in the high mountains.

I've got more than enough 4X4 experience from FL to UT to know when to and not to go in to an obstacle, how to get around and how to get out if stuck (sometimes just yell help real loudly and it'll come) ?

#13 ·
So **** just got real. Mother in Law is coming July 29-Aug 9th: wife is making me hang around and take them to Yellowstone (will be trip #2 in as many months). So that's a no go. We have the last week in Aug in Vegas for my 40th so that's a no too.

I really thought it'd work out this summer, but all 30 days of my vacation will be used up by that time. I'm so disappointed now.

#17 ·
I'll be playing catch up this week, as I have been out for a bit, but by the end of the week I should have a solid plan on my vaca days. I promise, if there is a way...I will work to make it happen.

Stay tuned.

On a side note, did you install flashing break lights in the rear reflectors? Someone here did and I thought it was you, but I can't find the thread. I am adding flashing break lights and would like to add lights down there as well. Decided to order a bunch of **** this week...20mm sway bar, VLEDs for brake, all turn indicators and parking...buying a Kuat Vagabond X tomorrow in Moab from a dude who knows a dude that met a dude with one for sale, thinking of a 20" light bar mount in the grill, thinking about painting my grill to match my off-road wheels, might talk to you later about the lift kit you did..I mean I really have the bug man.

#18 ·
no i didn't install flashing brake lights. i just noticed you have geolanders for going off the beaten path. those should be good. i don't know about the lift, you dont gain any ground clearance, just a body lift. i kinda regret it, it squeeks now and it was such a pain to put in. if you do put in a lift kit, many have totally removed the rsb, i have, this feels so much better IMHO.

#19 ·
would the middle of august work? or middle of july? i want to avoid cooler temps. i just ordered an exhaust jack and traction boards. im hoping i can find someone to hook me up with MREs. theyre not that bad and i hate cooking more than anything. theyre expensive for civilians but when i was active duty i knew a bunch of people who would bring home cases at a time for basically no reason. the NW Overland Rally next month will probably convince me to buy a bunch of other stuff.

#20 ·
I would certainly disconnect the rear sway bar. But, I would only disconnect it when I actually went into an off-road position. I may even do that now where I pull off I deflate my tires and take off the rear sway bar all in one fell swoop. It just makes sense if I want that extra connection with the paveme I would certainly disconnect the rear sway bar. But, I would only disconnect it when I actually went into an off-road position. I may even do that now where I pull off I deflate my tires and take off the rear sway bar all in one fell swoop. It just makes sense so everyone inside the vehicle doesn't get car sick.

#22 ·
I am sure we can make it happen in September. After talking with my wife, it might be just you and I b/c she's flying to Germany to see her brother. But, I promise you are on my list. As soon as all my other **** gets handled, I will try to nail down a date to start.

How many days are you certain you want to do?

#24 ·
I might be able to make it work, it depends as I'd have 2 extra days of driving to get there and back. Is there a 3day weekend naturally falling at a time we could use that to our advantage?

#26 ·
This could work. I had to cancel my trip to Yellowstone this week, and the Mother-in-Law visit is in jeopardy at the moment. I promise to keep you in the loop here. Just waiting for a few thing to fall in to place. (also buying a house right now so lots going on.

#28 ·
Bad news brother. It's not going to happen for my wife and I this year. We have an obligation now to attend a 40th birthday party week in Vegas in August, going to eat up the rest of our time off.

But, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, we would love to plan a trip for next year. So far we have a plan for Glacier NP and no others. We could easily squeeze in a WABDR trip. It's what we've built our car for and I think it would be amazing!

I hope this doesn't crush you hopes and dreams. I also hope we can plan a trip for next year. If we can do this, I'd like to make it a yearly thing...and do Utah's UBDR the next year...then Colorado then any other they create after that!

Man I have been hella busy with my car too. I installed the Hella Scorpions, I have painted my grill to match my off-road wheels, I installed a 20mm sway bar (just last night-which wasn't a smooth operation actually), I installed LED parking, side indicator and turn signal lights...and found out the body shop (that fixed my ride after hitting a dear) glued my bumper back together...and I am really pissed.

Anyway...if you still plan to go let me know. It's a bit of a drive, but if I can even tag along for a day or two (maybe 3) i'll make every effort to do so. I just can't swing a full 5+ days b/c my vaca is depleted after adding the Vegas trip.

#30 ·
Moab, Robber Roost, I mean there's so much to do, and it's amazing! But honestly if you do go, please let me know. I just may meet up part of the way along for a couple days.

#31 ·
i see lots and lots of subarus in washington that can do more than just pick up the kids. anyone coming to The West Coast Subaru Show in Enumclaw August 12-14th wanna do part of the WABDR immediately after the event. would be a great vacation.

#33 ·
tires are the most vital thing. i would recommend a full sized spare and traction boards and skid plates. just remember the most important aspect of all. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS TYPE OF TRIP BY YOURSELF!!!!!! and sorry for delayed reply, i dont get on here much anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.