Off road in the Smokies? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Space Invaders Champion

Car: 2013 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

From suggestions and poking around, I'm going to suggest Balsam Mountain road to pretty much everyone, WRX's and all. Looks like a pretty smooth gravel road.

I'm planning on going to Cade's Cove and taking Parson's branch road. Odds are, the lowered cars with us won't want to try that one... Personally, I would give it a shot with a stock height car, from what I've read of it.

Hurricane Creek just sounds a good time, but I'm probably not going to go on it unless I have a second off-road capable vehicle with me. It'll be pretty early on in spring, and while I love going places cars can't (or at least shouldn't be able to) I don't like getting stuck in them! I carry self-recovery gear (cordless electric chainsaw suitable for branches and small trees, traction mats, shovels, and a winch) when I go on "expedition" but try to use my brain first... I've never needed the winch... but I've used a tow and recovery strap a handful of times for other vehicles. Pretty easy with more than one alone, not so much alone.
reddoak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm assuming the WRX's are going here since its only 30ish minutes away?

dealsgap.com, Deals Gap, NC information. The Dragon, US129, Great Smoky Mountains. The Dragon at Deals Gap.

That is the absolute BEST road I've ever driven! Don't take anyone who can get carsick. I made my girlfriend throw up.
Deadlock281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Just this guy, you know.

Car: 2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.

If you are in the Smokies, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a gorgeous drive!!

Last fall, my wife and I visited a friend in Ashville and spent a day tooling around the parkway. That was a fun day. You tend to want to stop every few miles to get out and take pictures.

By April, Great Smokey Mountains National Park should be open.
Startiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2005 LL Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startiger View Post
If you are in the Smokies, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a gorgeous drive!!

Last fall, my wife and I visited a friend in Ashville and spent a day tooling around the parkway. That was a fun day. You tend to want to stop every few miles to get out and take pictures.

By April, Great Smokey Mountains National Park should be open.
Startiger: Not sure how far you are from Cole Mountain, but my wife and I went "back" last year. The drive up is a little fun, but nothing a FWD minivan can't handle. I remember it from my 2001 AT thru-hike, and had it on a "bucket list." By far, it's some of the prettiest hiking around on the AT. Take a camera.

Great mountain views on both sides of trailhead. Excellent, Excellent, camping right at road. There's even a swing in a tree by a campsite on the north side.
cbodie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Just this guy, you know.

Car: 2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbodie View Post
Startiger: Not sure how far you are from Cole Mountain, but my wife and I went "back" last year. The drive up is a little fun, but nothing a FWD minivan can't handle. I remember it from my 2001 AT thru-hike, and had it on a "bucket list." By far, it's some of the prettiest hiking around on the AT. Take a camera.
I'm not familiar with Cole Mountain. Where is it?
Startiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startiger View Post
I'm not familiar with Cole Mountain. Where is it?
Off I-81. Just East of Lexington and Buena Vista, VA. North of Lynchburg. Hotels all around if you show up late or just don't want to sleep in the woods.

cole mountain virginia - Google Maps

Here's some good information:

Cole/Cold Mountain Virginia Trail Guide
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 02 Outback 2.5 5sp

Quote:
I'll let you know.
That sounds great. Depending on when you go, some other board members may like to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoak
I'm probably not going to go on it unless I have a second off-road capable vehicle with me.
I don't have winches and that fancy stuff, but I am a little better than a stock car, too. I carry a mattock for emergency extractions, but it only gets used for poop pits...
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

This sounds like another thread altogether, but is there any weekday next week that will work? Feb 4-8th? Day trip. For anyone wondering where this is: west of Asheville off I-40 before Tenn.

Highest Vision: Could you start a thread/notification/whatever concerning and link to this one? It appears you have been longer a member of this forum and therefore may know proper/effective methods. (I hope I can find it if such occurs.)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Space Invaders Champion

Car: 2013 Jeep Wrangler 2dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by highest_vision View Post
That sounds great. Depending on when you go, some other board members may like to go!

I don't have winches and that fancy stuff, but I am a little better than a stock car, too. I carry a mattock for emergency extractions, but it only gets used for poop pits...
I've used my shovels and a tow strap for emergency extractions. I rarely carry the winch, and have never needed it. I'm OK with that. I'll have it up there, just in case... But I prefer to find a way to where I'm going that I don't create my own emergency. But it looks like a completely different terrain than what I'm used to down in FL (sand, mud, gators.)
reddoak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 02 Outback 2.5 5sp

Quote:
is there any weekday next week that will work? Feb 4-8th?
PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoak
But it looks like a completely different terrain than what I'm used to down in FL (sand, mud, gators.)
Definietly no gators But I have seen mud and sand. The sand was from erosion I think, not what I picture beach being like, and the mud can hide rocks...

James
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: