Stuck in Mud - CEL - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback 2.5 manual (soon to be sold), 2007 Outback 2.5 Manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Stuck in Mud - CEL

Hi Folks

For the first time in my 36 years of driving, I found myself stuck in the Herefordshire mud last evening. The car slid off a muddy lane during a rainstorm, and ended up with the LH wheels down in a muddy ditch, and the car resting on a grassy strip along the road's edge, more or less high-centered. Car is a 2004 OB wagon, 5sp manual, 175K miles.
No amount of rocking in 2nd / reverse, normal or lo range, would shift it, so I gave up, and got a tow out by a mate in a 4WD the following day.
During the rocking, I saw the ABS light and the CEL come on. Today, the ABS light is off, but the CEL remains on. Also, the Cruise Control logo is slowly flashing on and off as your drive along; turning cruise on and off seems to make no difference to that. (cruise not used on this car, as it surges, and struggles to hold the speed correctly...just an additional FYI.)
The car runs fine, drives fine, brakes OK, so before I go to the expense of hooking the car up to an OBD reader, would anyone care to offer opinions as to the potential problem causing the CEL to be lit ?
I was thinking perhaps an broken wire on an O2 sensor somewhere on the exhaust system ... would there be any other 'simple' things to check, prior to hooking up the OBD reader at a garage ?
Thanks in advance for your opinions !
Chris
garwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 TREK 8.4 DS
Send a message via Yahoo to AWDfreak

One time I was hooning in some mud puddles in the rain when I got a CEL. Car progressively lost power to the point where I had to floor it just to get going.

Turns out I had wet my MAF sensor (EJ25D on a 1st generation Outback). It then went away after an overnight drying.

Hope your issue is as simple as mine and that it goes away.
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Without knowing the codes, any guess is basically worthless. Get the CEL read and we can go from their.

And a CEL disables the cruise control, it is a common feature on many OBD-II vehicles.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback Wagon - 2.5L 5-speed
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rontalvos

You can get an ODB-II reader online for as low as $30. Not wasting extra time in troubleshooting is so worth it to get a reader. It turns car maintenance into a breeze.

Read code.
Replace broken part.
Enjoy life.
Rontalvos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback 2.5 manual (soon to be sold), 2007 Outback 2.5 Manual

Sounds like a good plan, and would be a good instrument to add to my rollercabinet.
Update: started car this am, and both CEL and Cruise lights are OUT. The only characteristic I find different is the car seems to pull slightly to the left (the same side that has excessive wear on outside of rear tyre, so may be related to the (suspected) worn trailing arm bush on that side vs. anything drive related.
I think I'll drain and refill the gearbox oil and rear diff oil as a precaution, as both may have had some abuse during the rocking phase of trying to get the car out of the ditch. As the lights have extinguished, would it be worthwhile to still get the car hooked up to the OBDII ? Are previous error codes stored in memory ? And if so, for how long after the fault 'disappears' ?
Thanks for all the help, chaps. Much appreciated.
garwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had this case. When my car stuck in snow or in mud the ABS lamp was blinking.
When all dried out then the ABS lamp off. Usually a couple of hours drive.
Vitaliy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Space Invaders Champion

Car: 2013 Jeep Wrangler 2dr

It will store them. See what code it threw.
reddoak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: