Air Leak / Noise at speed fix - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Brucey
Default Air Leak / Noise at speed fix

I see this come up a lot, and its a pretty simple fix if anyone wants to get rid of that annoying air sound that only seems to come up at highway speeds.
(At least on mine)

Basically, with the frame-less windows, when people shut the door with the window it eventually bends it out of shape, sure you can shut the door with the door, but most passengers (where my leak always is) tend to shut the door with the glass as its arm height. Whatever, like I said, simple fix.

Basically, roll down the window making the noise, and squeeze together the two sides of the gasket. Where the speaker is and where the mirror is (at least on my car) Squeeze it and hold it for a moment, go ahead and do it in a couple places, I've never overtightened this thing. When the window goes up it will push it back to the shape it needs to be if you overdid it.

That's it. If you roll the window open and you notice on either side the gasket isn't forming a 'seal' on the window, its definitely your culprit. At this point I think I've over complicated the explanation because I've spent 4 paragraphs explaining what a picture can do easier.

I've found myself doing this twice a year and it fixes it fine. A super temporary fix for me is to roll the window all the way up, and just barely tap it down, this somehow pushes the window out some and forms the air seal to shut the window up.
Brucey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Ahh....good tip brucey! I'm going to have to try this out.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: '01 OB Limited 5spd
Send a message via AIM to gabossie

I'm not sure how people discover that rolling up the window and then just tapping it down a tiny bit works, but I figured it out somehow and so did another friend of mine with a 2nd gen OBW. I'm definitely going to try squeezing the gusset together with the window down. Thanks!
gabossie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2000 subaru outback automatic, cold weather package, K&N filter

My 2000 obw does that. I take an index card and fold it into thirds lengthwise and stuff it between the gasket and the window and the sound stops. I only do this when I go on long trips. It comes on around 55 mph.

Kids rides Fisher Price power wheels chevy truck and dune buggy
ROTORCRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '02 Outback H6 VDC

Quote:
Originally posted by gabossie
I'm not sure how people discover that rolling up the window and then just tapping it down a tiny bit works, but I figured it out somehow and so did another friend of mine with a 2nd gen OBW. I'm definitely going to try squeezing the gusset together with the window down. Thanks!
I have the same problem on my '02 Outback and somehow was fixing the issue by doing the same window control tapping!

I thought the seal was letting air in higher along the window, but I'll try this out next time I'm getting on the highway.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
DAS

Car: 2002 L.L. Bean Outback H6 3.0

On my '90 Legacy I would stick a pen up between the window and the gasket in the center of the top of the glass.
ON my '03 Outback I had to put the drivers window down, open the door and bend the black triangle that the mirror is on toward the car. I rode in my mother's '02 outback and found the same noise. I fixed hers the same way. It took 2 seconds, the dealer said it would cost big $$ so she thought she would have to live with it. Both cars have been quiet since.
DAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: '96 OBW 2.2, '89 GL, '87 GL10, '85 GL

Found out a couple things about these- they are called "window gussets" when you go to buy them. They are also expensive when you go to buy them- about $64 each online for a '96 Outback (checked a few places). I haven't bought any yet, but probably will have to as both of mine are cracked at the top and are leaking.
Andy
Andy FitzGibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1998 Subaru Outback 2,5
Default mirror

I tried this tip, but it did not work. I have found out that my "wheezing/morse code signal" is related to the side mirror. When I drive and pull the mirror into the car then the sound disappears.

Any ideas on how to get rid of that annoying sound?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: Former: 2010 & 2002 OB
Default Re: Air Leak/Noise at speed fix

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucey
[B]

Basically, with the frameless windows, when people shut the door with the window it eventually bends it out of shape, sure you can shut the door with the door, but most passengers (where my leak always is) tend to shut the door with the glass as its arm height. Whatever, like I said, simple fix.

Basically, roll down the window making the noise, and squeeze together the two sides of the gasket. Where the speaker is and where the mirror is (at least on my car) Squeeze it and hold it for a moment, go ahead and do it in a couple places, I've never overtightened this thing. When the window goes up it will push it back to the shape it needs to be if you overdid it.
I had this same problem for years on my '02 Bean. Dealer replace gusset (under warranty) 5 years ago and told mee it had a neew metal bracket inside. Solved problem for may 6 months. Wind noise came back. Couple years ago read about a fix that is similar to the above, but slightly more aggressive and seems to have solved the problem permanently (almost two years an dno noisee or readjustment).

Here it is: Sit in car, open door ~6 inches, lower window, put foot out on the ground and brace knee against door, grasp top of gusset and bend in towards car (about 1/2 inch). The gusset should only actually change postion about 1/8 inch once you let go. The first time I did this I was very gentle and only reduced the wind noise. I got more brave and said "what the h*ll" and bent it in more. I was very sceptical at first, but have tried all tjhe other "tricks" I figured I would give it a shot. Worked great for me, byt DIY'ers beware as with any repair.
mattski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback, Base 2.5L AT, 185k (sold), 2005 Legacy GT, 5MT, 85k (current)
Default Re: Re: Air Leak/Noise at speed fix

Ho-lee crap. Wow!!

My wife and I have been putting up with that MF'ing noise for so long I had forgotten that there could possibly be a solution. I can't believe it. I am so happy about this right now, you have no idea.

I never even would have thought to search for this if I hadn't read someone reference it in another thread. It worked like a charm. Thank you!

Jim
Sylverius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: