Fog light lens removal, how-to - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Car: 02 Outback H6-3.0 LLB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Crunch
Fog light lens removal, how-to

Ever wondered how to remove your fog light lens for mod or repair?

Hereís how:

Remove all external metal parts: Donít forget to take the bulb out, or youíll make a mess.

Preheat oven to 250F:

Place fog-light on old cookie sheet, and an old wet rag, glass lens down:
You could use new stuff, but that's on you to explain to the wife/GF.

Bake for 10 minutes:
Donít get distracted and forget itís in there, another good way to annoy the GF.

Prepare your operating table for the new patient:
In the end all I needed was a small flat head screw driver. Ok, so the fire resistant Nomax gloves were useful as well.

Insert screw driver in crack between lens and housing and gently twist, like your turning a screw.

Once that bad boy is off, itís time to start cleaning. I had to remove glue and resin from all previous attempts at repair.

Now, that I can get to the inside of the lens, I can finally do a decent job of patching the bullet-like hole in my fog light lens. I think this clear JB weld resin will do nicely.

This is as far as I have made it, waiting for everything to set up and cure for final polishing and painting with, Metalcast Duplicolor Yellow.

"The best design is the simplest design that works." Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Car: 2000 OBW 5MT
Send a message via AIM to subaru311
Do you know if there is a place that sells replacement lenses? My lense has a gaping hole in it about an inch in diameter. I want a cheap way out of this. Otherwise a new fog is 80 bucks. I might get some hella replacements but thats still expensive.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Plz let me know how this turned out

hey i am wanting to d this to the fog lights on my 04 wrx and im useing the same paint but i was worried how the color would come out can you please let me know how yours came out
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Car: 1997 Outback 2.5
replacement fog for 1997 outback`

I know this is old ... but I cannot find a replacement foglight for less than $150.00? Most are more like $170.00! It seems that I have to replace the whole assembly?

I also have a hole and a crack in the lens itself, and wish that I could just replace the lens or the "bulb" (not the halogen light itself ...). Looking for an inexpensive fix for this.

Jan Guthrie in Racine, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru311 View Post
Do you know if there is a place that sells replacement lenses? My lense has a gaping hole in it about an inch in diameter. I want a cheap way out of this. Otherwise a new fog is 80 bucks. I might get some hella replacements but thats still expensive.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 AM

Car: 2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailswmn View Post
I know this is old ... but I cannot find a replacement foglight for less than $150.00? Most are more like $170.00! It seems that I have to replace the whole assembly?

I also have a hole and a crack in the lens itself, and wish that I could just replace the lens or the "bulb" (not the halogen light itself ...). Looking for an inexpensive fix for this.

If you have not found them yet, here is a company I order stuff from for my work (Napa). They have pretty good prices and fast shipping.

http://www.shermanparts.com/

It looks like the Fog lamp is around 90 plus shipping. I already have a business account setup, so you may have to contact them about buying retail.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Summer/Toy - 1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5 speed - Heavily Modded
- BW S256 ETT Turbo, E85, TRE Built Trans, 11 Second Car
Winter/Daily - 2001 Subaru Outback 5 Speed with Cold Weather package
- Intake Mod, Dynomax Turbo Muffler, HID H1 and Fog Lights

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 AM

Car: 03 Outback H6 base
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailswmn View Post

You can cover the lens with "lamin-x". I just did mine in yellow and like it; but they have them in clear also. They install from the outside and require no removal. I did one using the "wet" method and the other dry. Dry sticks immediately (one chance only) and the wet takes some time and skill to work out the folds....

Subaru Outback (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004) Fog Light Covers

2003 Outback H6 base

........Click 2 enlarge.........

"Some people are happy herding an appliance from point A to B. Then there are those of us who want to enjoy the *drive*."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: