replacing inner tie rod - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 96 2.5L Legacy-Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default replacing inner tie rod

Hi all,

I drive a 2000 OB Ltd. I was just wondering how easy it would be for a middle of the road (or newly mechanically inclined) weekend mechanic to replace an inner tie rod.

The quote I got from the dealer was $285 for Labor before parts. All in all with parts it would be just over $500. Too much for me right now.

If I don't find a used tie rod with boot I will order from the States and save 60 bucks after duty costs.

The labor price kills me though.

I was browsing through the DIY section and can't find too much. I have a Haynes but don't see much and have downloaded the link for the 2000 Sub OB which I have to go through.

So any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers!
chengine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Hi, yes I've done this job on '00obw. You need an inner tie rod end tool such as that from Harbor Freight. Then it is a fairly easy job. The hardest part is getting the new rubber boot to go back over the new inner tie rod end. It's not much clearance to get it to go on in there.

I replaced the outer tie rod end too since I was in there and didn't want to have to try to salvage the old one. Also if you do that you need a new jam nut.

See if their labor includes alignment. That must be checked after this job. I tried screwing my new outer tie rod on to the new inner tie rod the same number of turns as the old one, but it was still way off on toe.

Also some 17mm and 19mm I think it was _flare nut wrenches_ are a big help. Using open end wrenches invites roudning off the jam nut.

Let's see I probably have some pics here somewhere let me check....

ok here's one of loosening the jam nut let me see if i can find more in my files
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh yah don't forget to get a new lock washer, and some people recommend loctite red on the inner tie rod end where it screws into the steering rack to keep it from loosening up. You'd still be able to break that loose even with the red with the HF tool if you ever had to again in the future.

Ah ok I found the rest of my inner tie rod end pics here
Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 96 2.5L Legacy-Outback
Default Good shots

Thanks porqupine73...

Great shots.

Not sure if I can do this but at least learn a little and good to know what the process looks like.

Cheers!
chengine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can do it, it's actually pretty easy, except for the boot, but you do need that inner tie rod end tool (harbor freight probably the best value you will find), and should get an alignment after doing it.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 05 Baja Silver Sport

I have changed numerous inners on many types of vehicles and if you DO NOT have an inner tie rod tube socket, forget about it...if you have it, it can be pretty simple....the hardest part I find with the boots is putting on the metal clamp way inside by the rack after installing, but I use a zip tie and pull it as tight as i can and cut off the end...put the zip tie over the boot, and.pull it/loop it enough so that it stays on the boot but loose enough so the boot slips over the shoulder on the rack...once it is in the proper groove, pull the zip tie tight and snip off the end....

a FULL alignment may not be necessary but DEFINITELY a toe measurement...if you only replace one side and measure the toe and it needs to be adjusted, MORE than likely, it will be needed only on the side you just installed the tie rod....of course, if both are done, then you try to get them both the same as they came off and adjust each one equally....this measurement will determine if the steering wheel will be centered so even if the wheel is off center, the toe can be correct

If you have to straighten the steering wheel, the wheels/tie rod ends will have to be adjusted to the DIRECTION that the steering wheel is off center...if the wheel is off to the right, the right tire has to be toed out and the left tire has to be toed in EQUALLY if you already set the toe measurement

Now these "tricks" that I have just discussed come from over 25 years of doing alignments and it must not get out how to do these tricks to other less knowlegeable people...these are trade secrets and if this material was spread through the public sector, alignment shops would go out of business...these are for do it yourself Subaru drivers and owners
beekaybee555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

Quote:
Originally posted by beekaybee555
I have changed numerous inners on many types of vehicles and if you DO NOT have an inner tie rod tube socket, forget about it...if you have it, it can be pretty simple....the hardest part I find with the boots is putting on the metal clamp way inside by the rack after installing, but I use a zip tie and pull it as tight as i can and cut off the end...put the zip tie over the boot, and.pull it/loop it enough so that it stays on the boot but loose enough so the boot slips over the shoulder on the rack...once it is in the proper groove, pull the zip tie tight and snip off the end....

a FULL alignment may not be necessary but DEFINITELY a toe measurement...if you only replace one side and measure the toe and it needs to be adjusted, MORE than likely, it will be needed only on the side you just installed the tie rod....of course, if both are done, then you try to get them both the same as they came off and adjust each one equally....this measurement will determine if the steering wheel will be centered so even if the wheel is off center, the toe can be correct

If you have to straighten the steering wheel, the wheels/tie rod ends will have to be adjusted to the DIRECTION that the steering wheel is off center...if the wheel is off to the right, the right tire has to be toed out and the left tire has to be toed in EQUALLY if you already set the toe measurement

Now these "tricks" that I have just discussed come from over 25 years of doing alignments and it must not get out how to do these tricks to other less knowlegeable people...these are trade secrets and if this material was spread through the public sector, alignment shops would go out of business...these are for do it yourself Subaru drivers and owners
I made an inner tie rod tool for a dodge horizon- I wonder if it will fit a subaru?

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

It might, I think the only real difference between makes is the size of the slot on the inner tie rod end for the tool to go on. Dodge probably was some SAE size while the soob is I think it was 17mm. This is the harbor freight setup I used:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96558

Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

Quote:
Originally posted by porcupine73
It might, I think the only real difference between makes is the size of the slot on the inner tie rod end for the tool to go on. Dodge probably was some SAE size while the soob is I think it was 17mm. This is the harbor freight setup I used:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96558

What I made looks exactly like what's pictured, but without the inserts.

Round piece of pipe with 2 brazed-in flats.

There were a lot of metric bits on that omni-horizon, maybe I'll get lucky...

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

It might fit then. The adapter thingy slips on the tie rod end, then you slide the tool over it and it clicks in. Otherwise I don't konw if there would be enough clearance to get it on, it's pretty tight clearance up at the rack end.

The HF tool is like $40, plus there is a 20% off coupon availalble right now too. Maybe autozone or such places have somethign similar in their loan a tool program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: