Subaru Outback Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

05, 06-09: How To Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

380K views 65 replies 26 participants last post by  eagleeye 
#1 ·
How to Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes on 2005 thru 2009 Subaru Legacy and Outback

The 2005 thru 2009 model year Legacy and Outback can display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) directly on the dashboard. No scan tool is needed. No jumper wires are required, and it is not necessary to count blinky lights. The codes are displayed in plain text on the instrument cluster.

Trouble codes from the ECM (Engine Control Module), TCM (Transmission Control Module) and ABSCM/VDCCM (ABS or VDC Control Module) are displayed.

This procedure was distilled from the FSM. The English translation in the FSM is not very good, so I have attempted to make it easier to follow. The FSM has this procedure in the Body Section, Instrument/Driver Information, Comination Meter System chapter.

Some notes before starting:

- I believe this procedure will work for all 2005 to 2009 Legacys and Outbacks. However, I have only tested the procedure on my car, a 2007 Outback 2.5i automatic.

- I don't know of a way to reset the codes without a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery may or may not work.

- Exactly what you will see depends on what type of display your car has. There are two images of tables below, one for the Normal display and one for the Multi-Information Display that is found on Turbo models.

The Procedure

Starting condition: key off, headlight switch off.

Steps 1 through 7 must be performed within 10 seconds.

1. Turn key to ON position. This is the normal running position, the click just before starting, when all the lights on the dash come on, but before you twist to START. Don't start the engine!

2. Within 3 seconds, turn the headlight switch ON.

3. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

4. Turn the headlight switch OFF.

5. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

6. Turn headlight swtich ON.

7. Press Trip/Odometer button 4 times. At this point, the DTC display will begin.

8. Turn headlight switch OFF. Not necessary for the procedure, but your display may be dimmed and hard to read in bright sunlight. Besides, why drain the battery?

The DTCs for each module will display in order: ECM, TCM, ABSCM/VDCCM. Press the Trip/Odometer button to cycle between modules. The FSM states that the display will cycle between modules automatically every three seconds if the button is not pushed, but that did not happen in my car - I had to push the button to cycle the display.

For each module, there are three display states:
- Receiving DTC from module (blinking "P" or "C")
- DTC detected & displayed ("P" or "C" followed by 4 digits)
- No DTC found ("P" or "C" followed by "----")

If there is a CAN (Controller Area Network) bus communication error, you will see only "----" in the display. Basically, that means that the network in your car is broken. That will need to be repaired before anything else can be done.

See the table below that applies to your car, depending on which type of display you have.

Notes

- TCM error codes will not be displayed for cars with manual transmissions. The TCM display state will remain in "Receiving DTC" (blinking "P" on display). In my case, my car is an automatic, but the blinking "P" remained, possibly because I have no codes set.

- To cancel the DTC display, turn the key to OFF.

- If the engine is started, the DTC display will remain until the car starts to move. (I did not test this)

- Past DTCs that have been repaired will be displayed until the engine is started 3 times. (I did not test this)

Display Tables

Normal Display

Multi-Information Display

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Re: 05-09: How To Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

FranciscoApple said:
Hi!

Do you know where is placed the DLC on a 2008 Diesel Outback? I've tried to look on the driver's side dash, but I couldn't find it out... Do I have to remove any screw or is can it be seen easily?

Thanks!

My car is a 2007 gasoline engine, USA spec (left hand drive). I found the DLC conector in my car, but yours might be different.

It is near the kick panel (side panel near driver's feet) under the dash. To see it, you must put your head where your feet normally go and look up - not comfortable at all! The connector faces straight down, and is about 3cm from the side panel, about 10cm forward from the lower edge of the dash. For a reference point, it is forward of the hood release handle.

#11 ·
ghghhghg said:
I have a 2005 3.0R with a triptronic 5 speed auto. I was not able to get this trick to work. Does anyone know if this works with H6's and or the sports shift trany?

Thanks
I heard from someone else with a 2005, and the procedure I posted did not work for him, either. I suspect that the 2005 may have a different procedure, but I do not have a 2005 Outback or FSM to verify.

#14 ·
I read somewhere else last night that there is a conector near the fuse block that must be connected before you can do the diagnostic. I have started looking around that area but all I see are two single pole female conectors, so I will keep on looking. If anyone knows about this or has a pic of the connectors that would be great. I will post anything that I find.

#15 ·
Ok so I've done a bunch of searching and here is what I have found. The procedure shown in the next post is for 2006 and up. I will try to attach a picture of what I am pretty sure is for the 2005 model. The fuse block looks the same as mine, I just have to get under the dash and find those connectors. I also found a page that discribes how to do this on old clasic models (?) incase someone can use it. Here are links to some of the threads where I found the info.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23292&highlight=code

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57243

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ReadingECUCodes

I hope this will help some people and hopefully save us some money. (I don't know of any places who scan for free in Montreal.)

Attachments

#18 ·
does anybody know how to get this to work on a 2005? I've tried a million times but I get nothing. but I do have a CEL so I should get a code.

I have tried looking for the connectors in the fuse box. I have none, or at least it seems that there isn't to connectors there like in the diagram.
I have looked on the passenger side and I have one green tipped connector there that is not connected to anything, but I also can not find what it could connect into.
any help would be appreciated.

#20 ·
trouble code

You can put twoo wires toegethor to read trouble code on your car.In the car near fusesbox (below steering wheel)are twoo wires yellow and black.
Put it toegethor(make connection), set inigition(DONT START the engine)and between three seconds push odometer button.P code wil appear. if you push nezt time you wil get C code.

#19 ·
Just for thrills I tried the headlight/odo control sequence this morning- and promptly discovered a stored code I knew nothing about. C0108, left front ABS speed sensor error. Is there any way of finding out when the error was logged, or is that beyond the built-in diagnostic system?

Car is an 06 Outback XT Limited, so I can confirm it works in those...

#22 ·
Good question. The original post is based on information in the Outback/Legacy FSM. Perhaps someone here has the equivalent FSM for the Impreza-based cars (assuming the WRX would share at least this aspect).

The 2010 Forester FSM has a self-reader for DTC's (see attached) that looks similar if not identical (haven't checked it closely). I would presume therefore that the 2006 probably had the same.

Worth a try . . . .

Attachments

#38 ·
Nope. Just tried on my '05 outback XT.

The first post lists this as working for '05-'09, but a few folks with '05s have tried it without success. I've never seen anything official that said which cars had the capability and which didn't. Nothing to lose by trying it.

I just re-skimmed this thread, there is a link in ghghhghg's post which lists a different procedure for the '05- try that?
Checked in fuse area of drivers seat, I see no such connection. I didn't remove any kick panels but I don't see it. If it's taped and wrapped possibly in wire loom I wouldn't have seen it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.