DIY: 2005 Outback Cabin Air Filter Replacement - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2005 outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY: 2005 Outback Cabin Air Filter Replacement

So after reading the 2002 Cabin Air Filter replacement guide, I decided to do mine. However, mine was not easy as I thought it was going to be and ended up having to take apart the center console and right trim, trim panels to access the left side phillips screws that hold the left side of the glove box on.

I had also bought an air filter from NAPA but it did not show which way the air was supposed to flow through it, therefore I did what Hurt did and purchased a filter from Lowes that had maximum flow but also focused on allergens.

To make this easy follow these steps and ref the pics and I hope you can see them. This is my first attempt at posting.

1. The book (yep I bought a 72 hr subscription from Subaru techinfo) says in order to remove the glove box you need to disassemble the center console. I started out by taking the glove box insert out and removing the screws in the front and side screws and then pulling on it enough to allow me to slide out the filter tray. I then felt as if I might crack some plastic so into the manual.

Remove the shifter panel that holds the shifter boot. I removed the ash tray insert out. I then pried up on the back edge of the shifter console straight up very gently. Once the is up you can then pull down on the front edge and the hooks will free them selves. (ref pics ACC 18-21).

I then pulled off the cigarette lighter connector plug and then spun the console 90 degrees and pulled up over shifter to give me free space. This will expose the screws and hooks on the right garnish trim.

2. Undo the aft garnish trim screw. Pry straight up on the aft part of the garnish trim first which will then make it easier to pull aft and slightly up to release the three forward hooks on the garnish trim. (ref pics 22-23)

3. Now the top screw for the right kick side center console panel is visible. Undo this screw and gently pull aft and out ward to free the screw hole notch and the prongs of this panel also go into slots along the left edge of the glove box. You can kind of bend and pull to develop the clearance necessary to free the prongs. TAKE YOUR TIME!! You can break the prongs. (ref pics 24 and 25.)

4. Remove the glove box insert if you haven't done so already. Squeeze the top and bottom edges and pull out. You can then see the fan motor back there. If you have kit no. SOA342L500, you might be able to get to your filter. I don't know for sure as I will find out today. I couldn't as mine is below and behind the glove box compartment. (ref 3 and 13)

5. Remove glove box drawer. Remove the right outer panel that is alongside the door and is vertical. Gently pry outward to release three hooks. (ref pic 11). This will expose the drawer damper string. Remove that, the string will not completely retract. Next remove the drawer pivot pins. Remove the limiter pins (plastic) from inside the drawer on the left and right side. Pry the center out and then pry out the outer part to remove the square pins out. (ref pics 5 and 6).

To remove the drawer all that is left the right lower pin accessed from the right side that the outer cover hid. The right one is a pry out expansion plastic retainer. By prying pulling out the center part the whole housing can be removed. Then drop the right corner and pull out the left corner and the drawer is free. (ref pic 10).

6. To remove the glove box housing. Now you will see the left upper and lower phillips screws that retain the glove box to the dash frame. Remove them. Remove the front screws on the left and right side near the top (ref pics 7,8,9). Remove the plastic screw on the lower right side. Another plastic expansion screw (ref pic 11 and 12).

Also on the lower corner is a gang connecter. If you push in on the two tabs you can slide it downward and dont have to disconnect any wires. I also disconnected the glove box light connector. Now, Gently pull on the upper glove box starting with the right side as you can get your hand in behind to assist it. There are four hooks. It should be free now (ref pic 31).

7. Now the fan motor unit is completely accessible. ( ref pic 34.) The panel to access the filter has 4 tabs. Gently squeeze them together and it will release allowing one to slide out the tray. Mine did not have a filter. But I used the filter I bought at NAPA as a template to cut the filter I bought at Lowes. I put a dot on the bottom side of the filter to ensure I installed it correctly after cutting it as both sides look virtually the same.

So how did it all turn out? great. It's a real pain to take all that apart every 6 mos. I will try yearly and see how we do. I am also going to talk to the dealer about the kit.

I have attached the document with writeup from above and pics if they don't make it.

http://gallery.me.com/wehrung#100209...lack&view=grid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwehrung View Post
So after reading the 2002 Cabin Air Filter replacement guide, I decided to do mine. However, mine was not easy as I thought it was going to be and ended up having to take apart the center console and right trim, trim panels to access the left side phillips screws that hold the left side of the glove box on.

I had also bought an air filter from NAPA but it did not show which way the air was supposed to flow through it, therefore I did what Hurt did and purchased a filter from Lowes that had maximum flow but also focused on allergens.

To make this easy follow these steps and ref the pics and I hope you can see them. This is my first attempt at posting.

1. The book (yep I bought a 72 hr subscription from Subaru techinfo) says in order to remove the glove box you need to disassemble the center console. I started out by taking the glove box insert out and removing the screws in the front and side screws and then pulling on it enough to allow me to slide out the filter tray. I then felt as if I might crack some plastic so into the manual.

Remove the shifter panel that holds the shifter boot. I removed the ash tray insert out. I then pried up on the back edge of the shifter console straight up very gently. Once the is up you can then pull down on the front edge and the hooks will free them selves. (ref pics ACC 18-21).

I then pulled off the cigarette lighter connector plug and then spun the console 90 degrees and pulled up over shifter to give me free space. This will expose the screws and hooks on the right garnish trim.

2. Undo the aft garnish trim screw. Pry straight up on the aft part of the garnish trim first which will then make it easier to pull aft and slightly up to release the three forward hooks on the garnish trim. (ref pics 22-23)

3. Now the top screw for the right kick side center console panel is visible. Undo this screw and gently pull aft and out ward to free the screw hole notch and the prongs of this panel also go into slots along the left edge of the glove box. You can kind of bend and pull to develop the clearance necessary to free the prongs. TAKE YOUR TIME!! You can break the prongs. (ref pics 24 and 25.)

4. Remove the glove box insert if you haven't done so already. Squeeze the top and bottom edges and pull out. You can then see the fan motor back there. If you have kit no. SOA342L500, you might be able to get to your filter. I don't know for sure as I will find out today. I couldn't as mine is below and behind the glove box compartment. (ref 3 and 13)

5. Remove glove box drawer. Remove the right outer panel that is alongside the door and is vertical. Gently pry outward to release three hooks. (ref pic 11). This will expose the drawer damper string. Remove that, the string will not completely retract. Next remove the drawer pivot pins. Remove the limiter pins (plastic) from inside the drawer on the left and right side. Pry the center out and then pry out the outer part to remove the square pins out. (ref pics 5 and 6).

To remove the drawer all that is left the right lower pin accessed from the right side that the outer cover hid. The right one is a pry out expansion plastic retainer. By prying pulling out the center part the whole housing can be removed. Then drop the right corner and pull out the left corner and the drawer is free. (ref pic 10).

6. To remove the glove box housing. Now you will see the left upper and lower phillips screws that retain the glove box to the dash frame. Remove them. Remove the front screws on the left and right side near the top (ref pics 7,8,9). Remove the plastic screw on the lower right side. Another plastic expansion screw (ref pic 11 and 12).

Also on the lower corner is a gang connecter. If you push in on the two tabs you can slide it downward and dont have to disconnect any wires. I also disconnected the glove box light connector. Now, Gently pull on the upper glove box starting with the right side as you can get your hand in behind to assist it. There are four hooks. It should be free now (ref pic 31).

7. Now the fan motor unit is completely accessible. ( ref pic 34.) The panel to access the filter has 4 tabs. Gently squeeze them together and it will release allowing one to slide out the tray. Mine did not have a filter. But I used the filter I bought at NAPA as a template to cut the filter I bought at Lowes. I put a dot on the bottom side of the filter to ensure I installed it correctly after cutting it as both sides look virtually the same.

So how did it all turn out? great. It's a real pain to take all that apart every 6 mos. I will try yearly and see how we do. I am also going to talk to the dealer about the kit.

I have attached the document with writeup from above and pics if they don't make it.

where can i get the document with writeup and pics from this post??? please help
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 AM

I cut the hole without taking the trim apart. I used a sharp knife, some determination and some muscles. If you do this, you still need to remove the screws in the front, and then take the filter through the hole you cut. 30 mins job. Good luck!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 AM

Car: 07 Outback 2.5i
Geez if this is the kind of trouble one has to go through I think I'll just pay the mechanic to do it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Car: 05 outback 2.5XT
So, where are the pics mentioned in this doc ?

I'm attempting this and could really do with some pics for the console removal. The idea of forcing some plastic and not knowing of it's the correct piece/direction isn't comforting
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to litijus
Thumbs up Alternate Cabin Air Filter removal procedure 2005 Outback

Evidently, there are several different variations in trim configurations for this model, because my 2005 model Outback, manual transmission manufactured 12/04 had a much easier access to the cabin air filter. On my vehicle, a hole through one section of the shroud behind the glove compartment door provided me direct access to the filter tray, without removing any other portions of the dash assembly other than the glove compartment door and bins. Unfortunately, I neglected to take photographs while doing it, but it can be described briefly as follows:

1) Carefully pry off the dash assembly end-cap from the right passenger side.

2) Remove glove compartment door & bin as follows:
a) Detach door suspension string from post now exposed from under the dash end cap.
b) Free door limit pins on both sides of the door bin by depressing the right and left sides of the plastic door bin.
c) Remove the hinge pivot pin (a plastic quick fastener) from the right side of the bin, accessed under the now removed dash end cap.
d) Remove the glove compartment door and bin from the vehicle.

3) Remove the upper compartment bin by pushing up at the inside rear of the bin and then pulling the bin toward you.

4) Remove the metal L-support bracket that was behind and behind the upper bin by unscrewing three machine screws from the underside of the glove box.

5) You should see a black fabric "curtain" covering the hole in the shroud visible through where the upper bin was. Raise open this curtain by detaching two velcro patches along the bottom edge of the curtain. Behind it, should be the face of a filter drawer that goes into the cabin air plenum.

6) Open filter drawer by pinching together the upper and lower plastic tabs protruding toward you on each side of the filter drawer and sliding the drawer toward you. You should see the filter lying horizontally in the drawer as it is opened.

7) Change or install a new filter element (I used an $11 Fram CF9846A) into the tray and replace everything in reverse order.

Total time to complete < 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwehrung View Post

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Car: 2007 Legacy GT wagon
I believe dismantling of the entire center console trim isn't necessary.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea....html?p=827852

"We have gone forth from our shores repeatedly over the last hundred years and..as recently as the last year...and put wonderful young men and women at risk, many of whom have lost their lives, and we have asked for nothing except enough ground to bury them in..."
- General Colin L. Powell, United States Army (Ret.)

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 03:49 PM

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited 5MT
So reviving an old thread but I just looked and I have a manufactured date of 09/04 trying to get more information before I either try and take apart the center console.

Too many threads all over really on this subject. Is it worth just trying to go through the glovebox first?

Any other tips? I have been looking at the legacygt thread here too. '06 Cabin Air Filter Replacement - Subaru Legacy Forums

Lots of people chiming in that don't have 05's saying it's really easy come to find out they have 07's 08's etc and it really mucks up the information when trying to find specific stuff.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Car: 2005 Outback 3.0R
I changed my cabin filter in my 05 Outback yesterday evening. I didn't specifically use the steps listed in post #6, but that's how to do it.

This is my fourth Subaru:
2005 Outback 3.0R 5EAT - 170,200km/105,760mi
Tuned by Ed @ Xtreme Racing Tuning
Before = 183WHP @ 6849RPM/170ft-lbs @ 4238RPM
After Ed = 195WHP @ 5756RPM/197ft-lbs @ 4861RPM, +7% HP, +16% torque, fully stock

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracklincrotch View Post
I changed my cabin filter in my 05 Outback yesterday evening. I didn't specifically use the steps listed in post #6, but that's how to do it.
When was yours manufactured and does it have the access panel or not?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: