How To: Adjust the Parking Brake - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Brucey
How To: Adjust the Parking Brake

This is an easy one.

You will need: A flat head screwdriver.
That's all.

Subaru's with disc brakes in the rear use a separate mini drum brake for the parking (emergency) brake. It sometimes needs adjusting for best effect. During the life of the car the shoes could need replacing, but probably not unless something catastrophic happens. *cough* There is a star shaped wheel inside the rear parking brake drum that can be adjusted from the outside of the car. With the car in park (and the e-brake off) crawl under and look at the back of the brake. At the bottom there is a small rubber cover. Take it off and stick your flat head screwdriver in.

Rotate the drawbridge wheel upwards to tighten the brake. Or rotate it down to loosen it. It usually goes one click at a time, and you can feel it happen with the screwdriver. That's it! I've included a picture. In the picture I have the car in the air with the wheel off, but this shouldn't be necessary.

I've also included a picture of what the inside of the brake drum looks like, if you need a visual aid.

Pro tip: If you loan your car to a buddy, make sure he turns the e-brake off before driving 100+ miles with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parkingbrakeadjustment.jpg
Views:	11084
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	16718   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebrakestar.jpg
Views:	9609
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	16759  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:30 AM

Car: 2000 Green OBW (Maia)
Send a message via AIM to SovereignAxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
This is an easy one.

You will need: A flat head screwdriver.
That's all.

Subaru's with disc brakes in the rear use a separate mini drum brake for the parking (emergency) brake. It sometimes needs adjusting for best effect. During the life of the car the shoes could need replacing, but probably not unless something catastrophic happens. *cough* There is a star shaped wheel inside the rear parking brake drum that can be adjusted from the outside of the car. With the car in parking (and the e-brake off) crawl under and look at the back of the brake. At the bottom there is a small rubber cover. Take it off and stick your flat head screwdriver in.

Rotate the drawbridge wheel upwards to tighten the brake. Or rotate it down to loosen it. It usually goes one click at a time, and you can feel it happen with the screwdriver. That's it! I've included a picture. In the picture I have the car in the air with the wheel off, but this shouldn't be necessary.

Pro tip: If you loan your car to a buddy, make sure he turns the e-brake on before driving 100+ miles with it.
don't you mean off?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Fixed and thanks. (:
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:42 AM

Car: 2000 Green OBW (Maia)
Send a message via AIM to SovereignAxe
haha yeahhh...it doesn't take 100 miles. My gf did the same thing in my last car for maybe a mile or two and I never did bother readjusting my e-brake-I just pulled it up farther.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yeah, this was originally going to be a write up on replacing the parking shoes entirely. But once I got in there I realized they just needed adjustment as mentioned above. I had already adjusted them so that the lever pulls them all the way up. I'd say even after that, the pads still have about half a life left in them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parkingbrakepad.jpg
Views:	5793
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	16729  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM

Car: 2001 Outback Limited 4cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to goldcrown4
Hey there Brucey... so if the parking/E-brake lever between the front seats feels a bit looser than it should, as in too easy to pull up, and easily pulls up all the way, and has little stopping power, this is a procedure I should try? I have a 2001 Outback Ltd H4, auto.

There is real magic in enthusiasm. It spells the difference between mediocrity and accomplishment.
-- Norman Vincent Peale
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yup! This is what fixed it for mine. There is also an adjustment knob inside the car underneath the console for fine tuning, but this is a much easier and much stronger fix than tearing apart the center console honestly. I plan to get a picture and show the procedure whenever I need to take apart that console again.

If you have an raised area you can park on, you don't even have to jack the car up to do this! It can be done in less than 10 minutes.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Car: 2001 Outback Limited 4cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to goldcrown4
Can't wait to try this... long overdue. I'll just jack up that wheel to get under there. I'm a little unclear on the adjustment procedure though... all I have to do is insert the flathead screwdriver as indicated, but then I move the whole screwdriver up one click at a time which in turn moves the drawbridge wheel (then keep checking the tension on the pull-lever in the car) or do I rotate the screwdriver head as if turning a screw?

There is real magic in enthusiasm. It spells the difference between mediocrity and accomplishment.
-- Norman Vincent Peale
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The first one. You're just rotating that wheel with the screwdriver, there is no actual 'screwdriving' process. It could be accomplished with any similar tool.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 PM

Car: 1997 Legacy Outback Wagon AWD 2.5L
Just tried this myself

maybe 15 minutes for me, but i am slow. Definitely seems way faster then pulling apart the center consul to get to the adjustment nut at the hand lever (the only method offered in Haynes, btw). The only other tool I needed for this job was a drop light, since there is a lot of space in the slot where you can miss the star wheel completely. It helped a lot to be able to see when I was positively hitting the star wheel with my adjuster tool.

A jack and jack stands sure make this more fun.

Also i *tried* to keep count of the total rotations I turned the star wheels on each brake, so hopefully braking pressure will be allied relatively evenly. So far, so Good…

Thanks Brucey!

-w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: