So i broke something, lost rear wheel power and wasn't convinced it was a speed sensor. I picked up a bad but FREE used transmission that should still have a good extention/tail housing, clutch pack and solenoids.
1) First get the vehicle as high as possible, you will be under it the whole time. I have ramps in my garage that i drive up onto and lifts whole car the about 18 inches under the tires. 24 would have been nicer.
2) while my exhaust cooled done i drained the transmission fluid, and disconnected 02 sensors.
3) drop the exhaust, mine is all one big welded piece so i unbolt it at the heads, undo the rubber mounts and the entire system slides out of the way.
4) time to situate the rear driveshaft, I unbolted the center carrier bearing, and removed the rear u-joint shield hoping to get enough drop to pull driveshaft out of transmission without unbolting the u-joints, no such luck, it had to wait untill i removed transmission cross member.
5) i removed the 4 nuts holding transmission mounts to cross member, i then slid a heavy board from ramp to ramp to place a jack on to support transmission while i unbolt the cross member.
6) now with the cross member out of the way i used the jack to lower the transmission just enough to slide the drive shaft the rest of the way out and the used a bungee to hold it out of the way, then removed the transmission mount from cover mostly just for more room
7) remove the 10mm bolt holding in the speed sensor, place sensor out of way and remove rear cover and find your surprise. mine was that the stamped gear that drives the clutch pack had broken off the output shaft.
8) replace necessary parts clean all the gasket surfaces and prepare to reassemble.
when recombining the clutch pack and basket i found it easiest to carefully slide basket into the clutches, it took a while and was pretty frustrating trying to get all those clutch discs lined up so it all went back together, but with some pressure and twisting motions it all fell in place.
I got all my parts out of this donor transmission
9) i put output shaft and clutch pack back into transmission as one piece and then slid cover back over it, careful to tuck the solenoid plug into the transmission. i didn't and crushed my plug when i put cover back on and that sucked to fix.
10) finish reassembly.
The most time consuming part was cleaning gaskets and then another half hour replacing solenoid plug so in all it took me about 3 hours, I used about 6 quarts of dex III but have to do i final level check yet, but 6 came out so i put six back in. the fluid change seemed to help the shifting, the clutches grab sooner than my old worn out set so it all seems to have gone pretty well.