DIY: Strut spacer lift templates! - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, 2003 OBW LTD, 1991 Toyota MR2 - suspension & braking enthusiast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
Are you sure on this? I thought they had swappable springs in the rear for sure, since my aftermarket ones were listed for 00-09

Maybe it's slightly different but still interchangeable, like forester/legacy struts.
100% sure that 05-09 springs are different than 00-04 for the Outbacks. Had them side by side. Rallitek's original catalog listing for the 00-04 overload springs mistakenly said 00-09. They have since removed that listing. The old style springs are NOT compatible with the 05-09 top-hats.

00-04 = machined/flattened coil edge
05-09 = pigtail/rounded coil edge

Need to verify by measurement, but it does look like spacers from 00-04 woudl work on 05-09. Where the top-hat meets the chassis is basically identical. Its just the top-hat and spring retainer that is different. If you zoom in on the pics at http://opposedforces.com you can kinda see it, but easier to compare in your hands for sure.
phatvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Outback

Looks great, but I am having a hard time seeing the numbers in the first post for the size.
Michael Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Don't these spacers need to incorporate an offset of some angle with this kind of suspension? Is it negligible - can camber be adjusted to correct with the strut to knukle cam bolts if the spacer is under a certain size (i.e. 0.5" or so)?

Thanks for posting the 1990's design. I want to put in 0.5" in the rear with my new Pedders HD springs all around. (with GR2's and stock strut tops for my 1998 legacy outback)
kanurys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #24 (permalink)

Not sure why I couldn't edit my first post but here are some better images with bigger dimensions for the front and rear templates for 95-99 legacies and the Foresters up to '08.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Strut spacer lift templates!-spacer-dwg-front.jpg   DIY: Strut spacer lift templates!-spacer-dwg.jpg  
subydrift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

One question, what is the dimension on the center of the big hole for the strut mount in rerelation to the mount holes or the entire drawing? These are great. Thanks for posting them
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

Car: 2003 Outback Ltd.
Default Top had bolt removal

Does anyone know what is involved in the removal of the top hat bolts to install the strut spacers? Do they simply thread out of the top hat or do you have to grind them off and drill them out?
vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

I'm assuming the large hole on the front spacer is centered, but it's obviously not on the rear spacer. Any more info on this? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car: '08 OBXT MT

It's centered on both... as in, the shortest line from any of the 3 screw holes to the circle is the same distance for all 3 holes... therefore, centered.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmccormick View Post
It's centered on both... as in, the shortest line from any of the 3 screw holes to the circle is the same distance for all 3 holes... therefore, centered.
Cool, thanks for confirming that. I'm still waiting for my pedders HD springs to come...
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Outback Limted 5MT

Anybody done a front set for the 00- 04 Outbacks yet? I was wanting to add 1/4" all the way around when I plan on doing a Baja sprngs swap. But so far only been able to find 1/4" Saggy butt spacers but none for the front.
mnfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: