Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid (is easy) - Page 8 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
post #71 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 07:01 PM
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi and Hm.....well #1, don't be driving it until you refill the front diff gear oil (GL-5, usually 75w90 is what poeple use).

Now how that could have any impact on the auto trans itself I do not see. They do not share oil and are separately lubricated. I don't know what their 'flusher' was doing; your trans has an external spin on oil filter, and I suspect they may have been trying to 'flush' it backwards thus no flow. I think that filter has an anti drain back valve which would not allow flow in the reverse direction. If it did that would be bad because all the junk it has collected would get flushed back into the transmission.

Also the auto trans drain plug is +not+ under the plastic underdoor.

If you poured engine oil or gear oil into the automatic transmission filler....that might hose your friction materials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:29 AM
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT
so what exactly did you drain and what did you fill before you jumped in the car and drove it ?

if you drained the trans [auto] until it stopped dripping you should have drained out about 4 qrts of fluid.

one would assume since you thought you were changing the oil you removed the oil filter ? or did you pull the trans filter ?

before you drove it did you put more oil in the crankcase ?

are we sure you didn't drain the front diff ?

either i missed part of the story or left part of this whole scenario out

check all fluids, let us know what's what and what you drained. which drain plug you pulled.

engine dipstick in front of driver side head

trans dipstick driverside of throttle body by firewall

differential dipstick on passenger side directly down from airbox.
post #73 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Recruit

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback
I drained the transmission oil. 4 qts. put two quarts d'tron III back in, dip stick said 2 qts high. went to flushing/exchange facility, they drained out 4 more qts, dip stick still said 2 qts high. Obviously, now that tranny is 8 qts low, it won't pump enough to operate flushing machine. Plus, dip stick (tranny dip stick, not oil dip stick) reads 2 qts high. 2002 2.5L Outback. I'm having them change both tranny filters today....wondering if there is a trick to filling an empty Subaru tranny.

thanks for your responses, btw.
post #74 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM

>>wondering if there is a trick to filling an empty Subaru tranny hehe sorry not trying to make a wise crack, but yes, you simply use a long neck funnel and pour it in through the ATF dipstick hole.
post #75 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by gilson
I drained the transmission oil. 4 qts. put two quarts d'tron III back in, dip stick said 2 qts high. went to flushing/exchange facility, they drained out 4 more qts, dip stick still said 2 qts high. Obviously, now that tranny is 8 qts low, it won't pump enough to operate flushing machine. Plus, dip stick (tranny dip stick, not oil dip stick) reads 2 qts high. 2002 2.5L Outback. I'm having them change both tranny filters today....wondering if there is a trick to filling an empty Subaru tranny.

thanks for your responses, btw.
Iím puzzled by the repeated reference to the ATF showing 2 quarts high even when more than 4 qts have been removed. This should have been suspect from the beginning.

On my 4EAT, if itís more than a quart low, the level of ATF fluid in the pan with the engine running and the car on a level surface barely shows on the dipstick.

Is this a case of misreading the dipstick?

Thereís no trick to filling the transmission, even it if was empty to begin with. But verifying the level on the dipstick can be a challenge because (as porcupine noted) the dipstick tube is used for filling, and some ATF always seems to stay in the tube (it is almost horizontal for a short length). This gets transferred to the dipstick when checking, but does not reflect what is actually in the pan.
post #76 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 AM
ETC

exactly where is the stick you are reading ?

what you are telling us isn't possible so bear with us while we figure out what is going on.

the trans dipstick goes in to the transmission pan. if you drain the pan, the stick will read nothing. like plain om stated it takes around three qrts to even get a reading on the stick so you see why we're puzzled.

if you are reading the little plastic stick, that's the diff dipstick.

you know where the oil dipstick is so that can't be it.

that only leaves one stick and that's on the drivers side near the firewall under some hoses.

wait, you are checking the fluid with the car running right ? you are starting the car and running the gear selector through all the gears several times right ?

someone else had this problem and they were checking it cold with the motor off.
post #77 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Recruit

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback
car running fine now. I'm a triple threat when I'm stupid. drained tranny. filled engine oil. put 2 qts into front differential. drained and refilled front differential. changed filters and refilled transmission. re changed oil. all is well. thanks for allowing me to be stupid.
post #78 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 PM

Car: 2002 outback
Quote:
Originally posted by ETC
i would have to agree with the majority here. it seems that these "lifetime" parts and fluid are a sales ploy to make you feel better about buying the car. spark plugs don't last 100k miles, i don't care what the box says.

my wifes 740 has "lifetime trans fluid" in it, i asked a very knowledgeable mechanic who specializes in bmws what i need to take care of as far as maintenance since the warranty was up, first thing he said was change the trans fluid around 60k. he knows i'll do it myself so he wasn't trying to make a buck. the fluid for that is bmw specific and costs around $360 just for the fluid, ouch. he basically said "cheap insurance, $500 or so now, $6000 for a new trans later.

chevy recommends a trans fluid/filter change at 60k, people who know these trans say 15-20k.

remember that manual was written on the expertise of the same guys who's solution to a blown headgasket was to add some liquid to the coolant.
part of the 740's problem was a plastic check ball in the valve body. the other problem is the fluid. i never found out who's "lifetime" bmw was referring to. anyone ever try this:

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/t...ler_kleen.html

i've used lubegard products for years, and so do a lot of bmw shops.
post #79 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:36 AM
ETC

interesting but is that for cleaning the trans or the trans cooler ?
post #80 of 389 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Yes that appears to be cooler flusher to get all the shreddings and stuff that are plugging up the cooler out. Subaru offers something similar; it might just be that lubgard product with Subaru name on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: