|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|03-23-2015 09:48 AM|
Hope it was enough to cover the cost of the o ring!!
|03-17-2015 08:49 PM|
|deadhead||Just did this yesterday and had no symptoms but the o-ring was slightly swollen. You'll be amazed how much change you can find under the back seat!|
|10-05-2014 11:58 PM|
|marmar1305||I would like to share my story about the issues I has last week the fuel system. I own a 02 Outback Wagon 3.0L VDC. When I drove home last Sunday, the car stalled on the off ramp of the hwy. A town brought me home. The next day the car started ... no problems. After driving 30 min hwy I parked the car to do some shopping. When I wanted to start the car he didn't start. I had to wait 1 1/2 hour before I was able to start. I drove home and the next day I ordered the o-ring Viton #928 for the fuel pump. I replaced the o-ring in no time. I decided to drive by Seven Automotive my Subi mechanics to let them check the car to be sure. Two blocks away from the shop my car stalled again. Towed him to the shop. They diagnosed that the fuel relay didn't work properly because the wiring has been messed up by the previous owner. They fixed the wiring and to be sure replaced the relay by a used one at no cost. The car is running fine now and the issue seems to be solved. Those guys at Seven Automotive in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada they are the best.|
|09-20-2014 08:43 PM|
|03LLBean||Thanks. I think I'll buy the cap before I go into it.|
|09-20-2014 04:19 PM|
|1 Lucky Texan||
not a failed/protruding o-ring, just soft-ish and enlarged.
I have always run premium and our fuel is mandated for 10% ethanol due to several counties around here being "non-attainment" rated.
I do occasionally use fuel additives. usually every coupla years - either Techron or SeaFoam. also, her car is low miles plus, is never driven off-road.
|09-20-2014 11:02 AM|
Originally Posted by 1 Lucky Texan View Post
|09-20-2014 12:52 AM|
|1 Lucky Texan||
depends - if you can either wait until you can source parts, or if you can comfortably re-install the broken cap (if that's what you find.....) and risk driving the car for a few days and then pull the pump again.
I elected to have new o-ring and cap on-hand. My original cap looked fine, but the o-ring was 'swollen' so, I replaced both . I looked at it like a one time preventive maintenance thing. $70 and 90 minutes or whatever - cheap peace-of-mind.
|09-19-2014 05:18 PM|
|03LLBean||I am planning to replace the o ring soon as preventative maintenance. Should I have an extra cap on hand in case the original cap is cracked or cracks during disassembly? There are no symptoms of the problem that I am aware of.|
|09-10-2014 05:55 PM|
|CNY_Dave||I am hoping 93 octane around here has a bit less ethanol. I know the fuel can have as much as 10% here, but either it is a good bit less or when I was in CT and they claimed 10% it was more like 15 or 20%.|
|09-10-2014 03:41 PM|
|Flat4||Ethanol is the likey culprit. Viton is resistant to it. I am wondering if the worldwide market drives the OE mat'l choice, assuming that only the US mandates 10% ethanol. If the OE ring is nitrile it answers all the questions on this subject. I'm over 150K and 12 years on my my original pump. This thread is very helpful amd much appreciated. I'll pick up a Viton ring in short order and maybe do some PM.|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|