Subaru Outback Forums banner

'06 OB radio uninstall?

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  nurse-gadget 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I see that there are audio install guides for older Subies and slightly newer, but not for the 2006-2008 models.

I've downloaded a couple of the Subarus publications that seem relevant. There are two PDFs for the 2006 CD Changer:

Unfortunately, there's not a specific PDF for our car, 2006 OB. I bought an FM modulator for my wife's OB, so now it's time to install. The first PDF shows removing the faux wood paneling first to get the radio out.

The second shows taking apart the shifter knob assembly instead.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has taken out the '06 OB radio and can tell me which of these PDFs is right?

#4 ·
stumped by antenna

Well, I got this stock radio out this weekend. It turned out to be a big job, even with the excellent disassembly instructions. My wife's is a 1CD unit, and the HVAC portion required some more disassembly to get the radio out.

But then I hit a road block. This radio seems to have the newer antenna cable, as mentioned by SVXdc in post #3.

It's not the standard Motorola round connector, but either a pigtail or a single spade lug type connector. I'm not sure what I was looking at. Take a look at the attachment.

If I read SVXdc's post right, then the pigtail (which one?) wire might lead me to the antenna connector?

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks, mrk610. That link wasn't working for me, so I dug it up from your Sirius thread. These seem to be the same thing:

Will I need both genders? The funny thing about the FM modulator I got (the popular Scoche model), is that its male/female pair of antenna cables remain connected together always. I had expected the included switch to allow one to switch between the two antenna inputs.

But instead, the switch simply turns the Scoche's power on/off. For instance, when the Scoche's power is on, you will have two FM signals on the same wire, the way this thing is wired: the car's antenna and the auxiliary input.

I guess because the Schoche modulates on 87.9 and some other frequency, if it's powered it must overpower the car's FM band at those frequencies.

Still seems like an odd choice to me. Why not switch between the two antenna inputs and leave power on the whole time?

#8 ·
Oh wait, one other thought. It shouldn't be too hard to just cut that wire and splice in the FM modulator, right? Why pay for adapters when you can hard wire. A little solder never hurt anybody!

And as I figure it, that's all the Scoche modulator is doing anyway by providing both the male and the female cables to splice itself into the antenna circuit.

I don't imaging there's anything special about that cable. I know the Scoche is a two-conductor, coax type cable (internal signal with braid type outer conductor).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.