after market remote starter - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 11:56 AM

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
Did your installer tell you any of the specifics about what he had to do to get it to work? Any info on secondary modules that needed to be installed?
My installer used the Viper 4203V Remote Start plus Directed dball data transponder bypass kit. With the right programming this bypasss kit allows the RS to start the car without having to give up one of your keys. Some low end installers just tell you you have to give up a key rather than get involved in programming. It's very important to get an installer who has done this before and knows what he is doing rather than one who thinks he can do it. Asking the right questions upfront is also important. You already have 2: Will my remote open the door and do I have to give up a key?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:46 PM

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
tpd15

I would highly suggest calling around to other installers. What you are asking the installer is basic remote start stuff and is certainly doable (as noted by mpnret). If the installer has any doubt about his ability or how his product will act when installed, move on.

What you want can be done. As for the unlocking while the key is in the ignition argument, that has nothing to do with how the fob will work while the car has been started WITHOUT a key in the ignition. If the installer doesn't understand this, move on.

Having said all of this, I currently have an OEM starter and am pleased with it's range, functionality and 2-way feedback, but if I were to do it again I'd go aftermarket for the sole reason that the car shuts off when you open it. Stupid, stupid, stupid (i'm sure they have their litigious reasons for this)

Good luck with your install.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i ltd. 2010 Tacoma wheeling rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
I installed the OEM RS myself on my 2010 Legacy (same as OB). Bought new unopened box on ebay for $99. It's a fairly simple plug and play install. I did have to pay the dealer $55. to program the RS ID into the ECU before it would work. No way around this. I did look into self installing aftermarket. It can be done but is much more difficult and really not worth it when you look at some of the remote start w/install prices.
Thanks for the info! and I'm in NJ also. 07755

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4Legacy View Post
tpd15

I would highly suggest calling around to other installers. What you are asking the installer is basic remote start stuff and is certainly doable (as noted by mpnret). If the installer has any doubt about his ability or how his product will act when installed, move on.

What you want can be done. As for the unlocking while the key is in the ignition argument, that has nothing to do with how the fob will work while the car has been started WITHOUT a key in the ignition. If the installer doesn't understand this, move on.

Having said all of this, I currently have an OEM starter and am pleased with it's range, functionality and 2-way feedback, but if I were to do it again I'd go aftermarket for the sole reason that the car shuts off when you open it. Stupid, stupid, stupid (i'm sure they have their litigious reasons for this)

Good luck with your install.
alright I'm sold on going aftermarket. thanks for the info guys. I'll keep looking around for some remote install how to threads.

edit:

found this for a cheap fix to the oem remote start shutting off when you open the car door.. incase you haven't see this before-

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...or-opened.html
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM

JLink,

Thanks for the link, I've read that thread before. So far I've been too lazy to try any of them lol. But I think I might this winter. The security light would drive me crazy though.

Nonetheless, I shouldn't have too. My parents both my remote starters on their '09 and '11 Foresters and they keep running when you open the door. I'm sure there is some legal safety reason behind it, but it makes it so we don't use the starter as much sometimes.

Anyway, /rant

Another thing I will certainly go aftermarket on is all weather floor mats. The OEM ones don't cover enough area, again for stupid legal reasons, they don't have anything near the gas pedal (thanks Toyota)

Good luck with your install, let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 2.5i Outback - CVT - 2" Hidden Hitch - Sunroof - HERS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Forester XS - 5MT - Sunroof - HIS

Subies of Past:
'98 Impreza L Coupe | '05 Impreza RS | '08 Legacy GT
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:54 PM

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited CVT
I usually steer clear of Best Buy and have no experience with their installation team, but I think I'm sold on the $269.99 Viper 4205V + installation then $25 back through this AmEx deal.

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
2003 Subaru Forester 2.5XS [Previous]
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 03:21 PM

I'd call around to some local stereo/remote install shops and price shop. I just wouldn't trust something like an aftermarket starter install, which requires specific bypasses dependent on the car, to a generic single price gets all deal. And I doubt Best Buy attracts the best installers.

Just my $.02

2011 2.5i Outback - CVT - 2" Hidden Hitch - Sunroof - HERS

2006 Forester XS - 5MT - Sunroof - HIS

Subies of Past:
'98 Impreza L Coupe | '05 Impreza RS | '08 Legacy GT
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited CVT
Good point. I did call around and found cheaper prices than Best Buy.

Another question, should my 2013 Outback require one or two bypasses? It has the Harmon Kardon speakers but no navigation. I've had two places say I will need two bypasses and one say that they are full of sh*t and I only need one bypass. All three say that their setup would result in me keeping both keys.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 11:49 AM

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
My 2013 Limited with NAV only required one bypass. I like your choice of RS but don't think BB will provide you with the best price when all is said and done. Where they get you is installation and additional parts. A quote from the BB link you provided: "Additional parts and labor are usually required". I went through this a few times and always got the best price from a shop that provided me with a total out the door price.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i
Quote:
My installer used the Viper 4203V Remote Start plus Directed dball data transponder bypass kit. With the right programming this bypasss kit allows the RS to start the car without having to give up one of your keys. Some low end installers just tell you you have to give up a key rather than get involved in programming. It's very important to get an installer who has done this before and knows what he is doing rather than one who thinks he can do it. Asking the right questions upfront is also important. You already have 2: Will my remote open the door and do I have to give up a key?
Mpnret noticed your from Chester NJ, I hail from Long Valley! Used to love Chester bakery till that place closed up.

Hate to high jack this thread but I wanted to clarify as I'm having a similar issue. Just had a RS installed by a well known shop on my '15. Works great only issue is when I start and unlock the car from the RS it sets off the factory alarm. If I was to start it and then unlock from the key it does not go off. I usually always lock the car from the key and not the RS. If I use the RS to lock it, will this avoid the car alarm being armed? There is a bypass installed and I did not give up a key.

Thanks!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM

Car: '14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight
Quote:
mpnret, I see you have a limited with EyeSight, is it a push-to-start model? My '14 is an SAP with push-to-start and all of the remote-start installers in my area (North Jersey) are scared to touch the push-to-start system. Can you share where you had your system installed?

My '14 came with a factory RS but it is terrible. I would call it 1.5-way since the confirmation comes via the horns. This means I can never use it @ home (neighbors). The range is under 50' with clear line of sight. If there is a window in between, forget it. I had a Compustar system installed on my '12 OB Premium and it was awesome. True 3,000' range and two way confirmation via the LCD screen on the key fob.

2nd & Current OB: '14 2.5 Limited SAP w/ Eyesight in Carbide Gray. Mods: 19mm STI RSB, Fumoto Valve, LED interior lights, Hella Supertones, plasti-dipped wheels, front grille, side emblems, rear badges, seat back protectors, side cargo nets. Soon: body side moldings.

1st: '12 Premium 2.5i AWP Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: