2010 Outback Thoughts After Roadtrip - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2010 Outback Limited 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2010 Outback Thoughts After Roadtrip

Hi All--
I wanted to post my thoughts, for what they're worth, on our new Outback.

Street creds: am in mid-40s, have owned a number of cars, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, in my life. In the past 20 years, have typically bought a vehicle for the long haul--planning on keeping it indefinitely (but generally that's been about 6-9 years) and driving it into the ground (e.g., so we take care of our vehicles). Generally had 2-3 autos at any given time. Have owned spectrum of vehicles from Jeep Cherokee, full size Ford Bronco, VW Jetta TDI, Chevy Camaro SS, Saab 9-3. Also rent a lot of vehicles for work, everything from crappy compacts to fully loaded GMC Acadias (very nice lousy fuel efficiency and too big for me).

Quick synopsis to date: ordered 2010 Azurite Pearl Blue Outback Limited 2.5i CVT with HK, moonroof, splash guards. Did not get nav--seemed like way too much money. This is NOT a PZEV model either. Order date was 27 Nov, it arrived on the truck evening of 17 Dec, picked it up the next day (side note: Sheehy Subaru in Springfield VA has treated me very well; a pleasant surprise and I hope the service side of the house impresses as well). Of course, Northern Virginia (NoVA) got hit by the big winter storm so only racked up 115 miles prior to departure on 24 Dec (Xmas Eve) on our roadtrip. Logged 3,938 miles on the roadtrip, returning home on 9 Jan 2010.

Reasons for purchasing Outback: we needed something besides a sedan (still have the Saab), didn't need a pickup, would love a 2-seat roadster (Boxster!) but simply too impractical (and need 3 seats for high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes here in NoVA), so that left a SUV/CUV. Not a big fan of hybrids, not sure their longevity in different climates (e.g., real hot or real cold) and not sure where I'll be in a few years so wanted to keep options open; also not a fan of the extra initial cost of the hybrids.
Looked over a LOT of SUVs.. gotta tell you the market is crowded and most look pretty vanilla or too similar to each other. No real distinction. However, something important to me was good MPG, reliability, and leather seats (they last longer in my opinion and are easier to keep clean). Originally had written off the Outback because the 2009 did not get the best mileage (26 MPG highway if memory serves) and it was too "wagony" and I have SOME testosterone left.
Was looking pretty hard at the new GMC Terrain and Ford Escape FWD. Didn't like the looks of the Terrain's twin Equinox (seemed really hard to look out the back, seemed like too much blind spot back there), or the Nissan Rogue, Venza only came with leather in V6 version, etc. Couldn't convince myself that the Escape was a good enough deal (rear drum brakes?! on top of a 10 year old body style), and just wasn't sure about the Terrain--hard to get a good deal on it too.
By accident happened upon the 2010 Outback and decided to check it out. Wife really liked it, which is important, given she really didn't think much of the Terrain. I liked the simplicity and intuitiveness of the controls in the Outback (for some reason the Terrain didn't seem as good, smaller buttons, layout seemed overly complicated, and the passenger side mirror seemed to block a lot of the view out that side from driver's seat). Did some research, liked the fuel efficiency especially for an AWD, and went with it.

Biggest confusing factor on Outback: why can you get the color choice you want on the INSIDE, or the OUTSIDE, but not both??!! I would prefer to have had the blank interior, but couldn't get that with ANY of my preferred color choices. Finally went with the outside color (Azurite Pearl Blue), because the upper half of the interior is black and that's what I see most of the time so seems best compromise. Can't believe I had to make that kind of choice though.

Review of Outback:
Interior: I like the fake wood inlays on the Limited, and the soft satin metal trim. It seems to work very well, and the plastic dash panels look good. The driver's seat is very comfortable, had to work with it a while to get it exactly right, but now can drive 9 hours with short breaks and back still fine at end of the day. (Surprised there isn't a memory button for different drivers though). The back doors are wide and easy for large folks, or packages, to get in and out. Hatchback comes up smoothly and there's a lot of space in back. Cupholders are conveniently placed. The flat space on the dash works perfectly for a GPS unit; the GPS sits securely and is visible without blocking lines of sight.

Controls: I like the controls. For instance, even in the "headlight on" position, take the key out and the headlights go off. Flip a paddle shifter in "D" mode, and you can do a quick and easy downshift. The climate controls seem intuitive and work easy (in the Limited have the dual zone automatic system). The bass is off-kilter in the HK, but turning it down to -6 seems to really help--and otherwise the 6 CD changer is nice (love that it plays MP3s) and the Bluetooth works very well with my Palm Pre. Wish it had a speed-controlled volume on the HK stereo, but that's a minor issue to me.

Exterior: Overall I like the look. It's not very unique, but has some nice touches (the wheel arch moldings for instance; big enough to do the job and provide nice look, not so big it looks like the Honda Element: all plastic). I like the roof rack system, being able to fold the crossarms into the main components. The Outback sits high (relatively speaking), I like that as well.

Mechanical: the CVT takes a little getting used to, but I like it. I like the intuitive paddle shifters and how they work even without being in "Manual" mode. The CVT is super smooth, and seems to readily deliver power. There is a slight stutter about three seconds after coming off the gas when on the highway (or other times when you are at a relatively steady speed) but all in all happy with the CVT. Engine turns over great, has a low idle, and is super smooth. I have a BMW R1150R motorcycle with a two-cylinder boxer engine so I expected a smooth engine, but the Outback is smoother than expected--amazingly smooth and supple. It is a nice balanced engine, and I think it is plenty powerful enough. I was a little concerned about the 0-60 time (9.x seconds) but it seems faster than that to me, and I feel pretty comfortable in traffic etc (and around NoVA, that means something).

Handling: I have not had any problems with shimmy, shaking, or otherwise. In fact, the vehicle handles very well. It does feel the crosswinds more than the Saab, but I don't think it is excessive either. I REALLY like the turning radius, the Outback will bang a U in LESS space than the Saab, which has a terrific radius. It is absolutely amazing. The only negative thing I have for handling is the "bump" you come across at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions (thereabouts) when you go from high-speed power steering boost to low-speed boost. In a turn on the highway, if the turn is just right, you can keep going back and forth over the boost changeover point. It would be nice if it were less noticeable and more graduated instead of so abrupt.

Vehicle Size: I think the Outback is a great size. It is a compact SUV, but inside it feels much larger. It is almost exactly the same width as the Saab, but feels larger inside. During the road trip, we happened to park right next to a Toureg, that was parked right next to a Traverse, and the increasing size of the SUVs was a neat comparison. I'd much rather have the small, agile Outback, especially when at the fuel pump! The Outback fits into small parking spaces readily as well, another bonus.

Mileage: Somewhat disappointing. As mentioned in my post on the mileage thread, the calculated mileage for the 3,938 trip was 26.2 (the computer said 27.3--typically found it to be 1 mpg over my calculations throughout the trip on each tank). Haven't ran through a tank in my normal driving here in NoVA yet, but right now thinking I will be right around 22-23 calculated. Overall, that's not bad in-town for an AWD vehicle, but I am disappointed on the highway ratings. The only way I could get a calculated, sustained (e.g., full tank) 29 MPG was to keep it around 60 MPH and do almost all highway driving.

Value: I don't think the Outback is a "great" deal-- I probably could've gotten a FWD Terrain SLT-2 for about the same money, had 22/32 on fuel economy, and had more gizmos (e.g., backup camera comes standard). But, I like the Outback better, and so it's a balance between AWD and liking it better, vice slightly better MPG and more gizmos. So, ends up being an average value, and depends on the person. (note that the Subaru has a better reliability rating as well).

OVERALL: am very pleased with the Outback. Some minor issues, but running around 4300 miles now and expect to drive it for many years yet to come!

Anyway, I've learned a lot from all you who have posted info and wanted to return the favor by giving my impressions, hope they help someone else out!

Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM

Car: 2010 Outback PZEV
Re: 2010 Outback Thoughts After Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally posted by tim22152
The only negative thing I have for handling is the "bump" you come across at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions (thereabouts) when you go from high-speed power steering boost to low-speed boost. In a turn on the highway, if the turn is just right, you can keep going back and forth over the boost changeover point. It would be nice if it were less noticeable and more graduated instead of so abrupt.
Tim, Thank you for a superb review. You should be writing for a moto magazine!
The high-speed and low-speed boosts are mysterious to me. I haven't noticed any "bump" (or I was ignoring it) while driving my OB. Would you elaborate a little bit more, please (I want to know how it works).

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
OBXT Moderator

Car: 2005 Outback XT Limited MT
Tim.

Great review. I'm a little surprised at the gas mileage you got. Did you have a heavy load?

Also, any idea what the build date was? I'm wondering if SOA might has tried to address the steering wheel shake in the more recently built vehicles

2005 Outback XT Limited
aka "The Turdboss"
Manual Transmission, STS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

p.s. A Smith and Wesson beats four aces.
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 PM
pgh

Car: 2010 outback. base 2.5
Re: 2010 Outback Thoughts After Roadtrip

Quote:
Hi All--
I wanted to post my thoughts, for what they're worth, on our new Outback.

Street creds: am in mid-40s, have owned a number of cars, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, in my life. In the past 20 years, have typically bought a vehicle for the long haul--planning on keeping it indefinitely (but generally that's been about 6-9 years) and driving it into the ground (e.g., so we take care of our vehicles). Generally had 2-3 autos at any given time. Have owned spectrum of vehicles from Jeep Cherokee, full size Ford Bronco, VW Jetta TDI, Chevy Camaro SS, Saab 9-3. Also rent a lot of vehicles for work, everything from crappy compacts to fully loaded GMC Acadias (very nice lousy fuel efficiency and too big for me).

Quick synopsis to date: ordered 2010 Azurite Pearl Blue Outback Limited 2.5i CVT with HK, moonroof, splash guards. Did not get nav--seemed like way too much money. This is NOT a PZEV model either. Order date was 27 Nov, it arrived on the truck evening of 17 Dec, picked it up the next day (side note: Sheehy Subaru in Springfield VA has treated me very well; a pleasant surprise and I hope the service side of the house impresses as well). Of course, Northern Virginia (NoVA) got hit by the big winter storm so only racked up 115 miles prior to departure on 24 Dec (Xmas Eve) on our roadtrip. Logged 3,938 miles on the roadtrip, returning home on 9 Jan 2010.

Reasons for purchasing Outback: we needed something besides a sedan (still have the Saab), didn't need a pickup, would love a 2-seat roadster (Boxster!) but simply too impractical (and need 3 seats for high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes here in NoVA), so that left a SUV/CUV. Not a big fan of hybrids, not sure their longevity in different climates (e.g., real hot or real cold) and not sure where I'll be in a few years so wanted to keep options open; also not a fan of the extra initial cost of the hybrids.
Looked over a LOT of SUVs.. gotta tell you the market is crowded and most look pretty vanilla or too similar to each other. No real distinction. However, something important to me was good MPG, reliability, and leather seats (they last longer in my opinion and are easier to keep clean). Originally had written off the Outback because the 2009 did not get the best mileage (26 MPG highway if memory serves) and it was too "wagony" and I have SOME testosterone left.
Was looking pretty hard at the new GMC Terrain and Ford Escape FWD. Didn't like the looks of the Terrain's twin Equinox (seemed really hard to look out the back, seemed like too much blind spot back there), or the Nissan Rogue, Venza only came with leather in V6 version, etc. Couldn't convince myself that the Escape was a good enough deal (rear drum brakes?! on top of a 10 year old body style), and just wasn't sure about the Terrain--hard to get a good deal on it too.
By accident happened upon the 2010 Outback and decided to check it out. Wife really liked it, which is important, given she really didn't think much of the Terrain. I liked the simplicity and intuitiveness of the controls in the Outback (for some reason the Terrain didn't seem as good, smaller buttons, layout seemed overly complicated, and the passenger side mirror seemed to block a lot of the view out that side from driver's seat). Did some research, liked the fuel efficiency especially for an AWD, and went with it.

Biggest confusing factor on Outback: why can you get the color choice you want on the INSIDE, or the OUTSIDE, but not both??!! I would prefer to have had the blank interior, but couldn't get that with ANY of my preferred color choices. Finally went with the outside color (Azurite Pearl Blue), because the upper half of the interior is black and that's what I see most of the time so seems best compromise. Can't believe I had to make that kind of choice though.

Review of Outback:
Interior: I like the fake wood inlays on the Limited, and the soft satin metal trim. It seems to work very well, and the plastic dash panels look good. The driver's seat is very comfortable, had to work with it a while to get it exactly right, but now can drive 9 hours with short breaks and back still fine at end of the day. (Surprised there isn't a memory button for different drivers though). The back doors are wide and easy for large folks, or packages, to get in and out. Hatchback comes up smoothly and there's a lot of space in back. Cupholders are conveniently placed. The flat space on the dash works perfectly for a GPS unit; the GPS sits securely and is visible without blocking lines of sight.

Controls: I like the controls. For instance, even in the "headlight on" position, take the key out and the headlights go off. Flip a paddle shifter in "D" mode, and you can do a quick and easy downshift. The climate controls seem intuitive and work easy (in the Limited have the dual zone automatic system). The bass is off-kilter in the HK, but turning it down to -6 seems to really help--and otherwise the 6 CD changer is nice (love that it plays MP3s) and the Bluetooth works very well with my Palm Pre. Wish it had a speed-controlled volume on the HK stereo, but that's a minor issue to me.

Exterior: Overall I like the look. It's not very unique, but has some nice touches (the wheel arch moldings for instance; big enough to do the job and provide nice look, not so big it looks like the Honda Element: all plastic). I like the roof rack system, being able to fold the crossarms into the main components. The Outback sits high (relatively speaking), I like that as well.

Mechanical: the CVT takes a little getting used to, but I like it. I like the intuitive paddle shifters and how they work even without being in "Manual" mode. The CVT is super smooth, and seems to readily deliver power. There is a slight stutter about three seconds after coming off the gas when on the highway (or other times when you are at a relatively steady speed) but all in all happy with the CVT. Engine turns over great, has a low idle, and is super smooth. I have a BMW R1150R motorcycle with a two-cylinder boxer engine so I expected a smooth engine, but the Outback is smoother than expected--amazingly smooth and supple. It is a nice balanced engine, and I think it is plenty powerful enough. I was a little concerned about the 0-60 time (9.x seconds) but it seems faster than that to me, and I feel pretty comfortable in traffic etc (and around NoVA, that means something).

Handling: I have not had any problems with shimmy, shaking, or otherwise. In fact, the vehicle handles very well. It does feel the crosswinds more than the Saab, but I don't think it is excessive either. I REALLY like the turning radius, the Outback will bang a U in LESS space than the Saab, which has a terrific radius. It is absolutely amazing. The only negative thing I have for handling is the "bump" you come across at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions (thereabouts) when you go from high-speed power steering boost to low-speed boost. In a turn on the highway, if the turn is just right, you can keep going back and forth over the boost changeover point. It would be nice if it were less noticeable and more graduated instead of so abrupt.

Vehicle Size: I think the Outback is a great size. It is a compact SUV, but inside it feels much larger. It is almost exactly the same width as the Saab, but feels larger inside. During the road trip, we happened to park right next to a Toureg, that was parked right next to a Traverse, and the increasing size of the SUVs was a neat comparison. I'd much rather have the small, agile Outback, especially when at the fuel pump! The Outback fits into small parking spaces readily as well, another bonus.

Mileage: Somewhat disappointing. As mentioned in my post on the mileage thread, the calculated mileage for the 3,938 trip was 26.2 (the computer said 27.3--typically found it to be 1 mpg over my calculations throughout the trip on each tank). Haven't ran through a tank in my normal driving here in NoVA yet, but right now thinking I will be right around 22-23 calculated. Overall, that's not bad in-town for an AWD vehicle, but I am disappointed on the highway ratings. The only way I could get a calculated, sustained (e.g., full tank) 29 MPG was to keep it around 60 MPH and do almost all highway driving.

Value: I don't think the Outback is a "great" deal-- I probably could've gotten a FWD Terrain SLT-2 for about the same money, had 22/32 on fuel economy, and had more gizmos (e.g., backup camera comes standard). But, I like the Outback better, and so it's a balance between AWD and liking it better, vice slightly better MPG and more gizmos. So, ends up being an average value, and depends on the person. (note that the Subaru has a better reliability rating as well).

OVERALL: am very pleased with the Outback. Some minor issues, but running around 4300 miles now and expect to drive it for many years yet to come!

Anyway, I've learned a lot from all you who have posted info and wanted to return the favor by giving my impressions, hope they help someone else out!

Tim
Thank's Tim for the review. I will disagree with you on the value part or as you said - Not a great deal. I think it has to be one of the best values in it's class today. I'm not a gadget person so those items mean less to me. GMC Terrian? No comparision to the OB IMO. The CRV beat it in the latest MT small SUV test and I'm not a fan of the CRV either.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Limited, 02 Audi A6 3.0 Avant Quattro
The Highway mileage is a little short right now because of winter and winter gas formula. By comming Spring and Summer you should get better mileage.

The EPA mileage is obtained from level highway (no traffic after midnite, no hill or mountain, no headwind, new oils, new filters, maybe driver only) and at 55-65 MPH legal speed limit.
I don't think we can achieve that in real life.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: 2010 Outback Thoughts After Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally posted by JarekMW

Tim, Thank you for a superb review. You should be writing for a moto magazine!
The high-speed and low-speed boosts are mysterious to me. I haven't noticed any "bump" (or I was ignoring it) while driving my OB. Would you elaborate a little bit more, please (I want to know how it works).
If you get in a turn, say 30-degrees, and are holding constant (so, say, a highway turn that goes for a bit), there's a point where the boost gets significantly stronger. I didn't notice it until I hit one of those highway turns, where one at say 29 degrees it wasn't quite enough for the turn radius but 30 degrees is where the bump is and so was too much, so I would have to keep moving the wheel to keep the vehicle in a constant turn.

The amount of degrees is approximate, just for illustration purposes. But it apparently is going to low speed mode but it's somewhat abrupt (in my opinion).

It's subtle, but once you find it, you can sit there and roll over it back and forth in a turn and "feel" the difference. It's not a big deal, and isn't "bad" -- it's just not as graduated as I would've thought.

Tim
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mudge
Tim.

Great review. I'm a little surprised at the gas mileage you got. Did you have a heavy load?

Also, any idea what the build date was? I'm wondering if SOA might has tried to address the steering wheel shake in the more recently built vehicles
Two people, a bunch of luggage (all of it fit in the back behind the passenger seats, and was covered by the screen, but we filled all that space there, so two large suitcases and a few bags full of souvenirs etc).

I know some folks are citing the winter mix and so on, and yes that's a factor.. but still, maybe an unfair comparison but the Saab is 20/30, and regardless of time of year or other factors it EXCEEDS 30 MPG on the highway all the time. I recognize it has less drag, is NOT AWD, etc, but I would've figured the EPA calculations would take all that into account.

I don't know what the build date was.. not sure how to find it either?

Also, should've noted that I REALLY like the way it handles in general-- very good road feel and control, but bumps and potholes don't jar your teeth (the Saab, on the other hand, still has the "sport sedan" tuning and can wear you out on rough road). The Outback really does have a smooth, supple ride and handles less than stellar road with a lot of grace.

Tim
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 AM

Car: 2010 Outback 3.6R
Quote:

Also, should've noted that I REALLY like the way it handles in general-- very good road feel and control, but bumps and potholes don't jar your teeth (the Saab, on the other hand, still has the "sport sedan" tuning and can wear you out on rough road). The Outback really does have a smooth, supple ride and handles less than stellar road with a lot of grace.

Tim
Nice review Tim!

I just picked up my 2010 OB 3.6R, and have the same impression as you on handling and ride.

You can find the build date on the tag on the inside of the drivers side door. I think it is the same tag that lists GAWR, etc. Mine was built 1/10. I've not noticed any shimmy at all up to speeds of 75 MPH.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Car: 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Navigation, Satin White Pearl
Quote:

Two people, a bunch of luggage (all of it fit in the back behind the passenger seats, and was covered by the screen, but we filled all that space there, so two large suitcases and a few bags full of souvenirs etc).

I know some folks are citing the winter mix and so on, and yes that's a factor.. but still, maybe an unfair comparison but the Saab is 20/30, and regardless of time of year or other factors it EXCEEDS 30 MPG on the highway all the time. I recognize it has less drag, is NOT AWD, etc, but I would've figured the EPA calculations would take all that into account.

Tim
There is a picture posted by bikergeek showing where to look for the build date at the link below, go to 12/24/2009 time 09:44 AM

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...&pagenumber=11
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 AM

Car: 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium MT6
Quote:
Great review. I'm still purplexed at the fuel economy of the 2.5i CVT. I have seen very few owners reporting even EPA estimates when most vehicles return a slight improvement over EPA estimates. To me 22/29 should return something like 24/30 with max MPG's in the mid 30s. I've yet to see this from a CVT owner and most are more like 24-26 overall, echoing your statement, "disappointing".

I baby my 2.5 6MT still, but even when I 'race it' on the highway I can usually approach 30 MPG's.

Thanks again for the excellent review,

-Will

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: