Terrible Cross Wind Handling - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Terrible Cross Wind Handling

I have a 2011 2.5 cvt 60,000 miles and just returned from a 3 hour trip...wow am I exhausted! There was a fairly strong cross wind 25-30mph the entire way and I felt like I was flying a plane through turbulence the entire trip. I was white knuckled the entire trip. Each gust of wind pushed the car completely across the lane...it required 110% focus and there were a few times where I would correct and thought we would spin out of control. Mind you, the speed limit was 75 and I was doing 60. I had 5 people in the car (added weight) and have done the sway bar upgrade. I did have winter tires on, all properly inflated and an alignment was just done.

I previously had a 2012 Jeep Liberty that never had any issues...I wouldn't even be able to tell that it was windy out. I have done the sway bar upgrade, alignment, and, even with added weight in the car, it STILL handles terribly to the point of being unsafe. I don't think this is a reason to get rid of it...but I was definitely disappointed with the way this thing handles in the wind. Not sure what else I can do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
2013-2014 had a suspension upgrade which may have been more then you have done so far.

do you think yours leans too much in turns right now?

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

I think it is pretty stable in turns...just seems to be completely tossed around by the wind.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

did it react like this with the 3 season tires on it?

what exactly do you have for snow tires by brand type / size.?

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:32 PM

Car: '02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
Your Outback may be one of the "wanderers" produced early in the Gen 4s. I think there's software that corrects this problem at the dealership. There should be a TSB on it...and @Fibber2 has posted about this issue too.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it acted like this with the all seasons but not quite as bad. I have the general altimax arctic tire, standard size that Subaru recommends. I am thinking the alignment needs to be adjusted again, car pulls very slightly to the right when driving straight. But I can't imagine that a small tweak in the alignment would make such a big difference in the handling of the car in the wind.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 PM

Car: '02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
I wouldn't think so either. Keep in mind that most roads are "crowned" to facilitate drainage, and that may explain the slight pull to the right. Do a search on lane wandering in the Gen 4 forum, may be something that helps you out.
patrikman and eagleeye like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

here is a big long thread, don't know if there is a TSB in it.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...wandering.html

in my experience snow tires with their deeper thread / longer lugs / and laying less actual tread on the road make for a little more of a handful to drive with.
such is to be expected, and you notice it on the first day and then forget about it until you put the 3 season tires back on.

so any problem you would have maybe exacerbated slightly by the snows.
boxterfan67 likes this.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 PM

Car: 85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
today sucked, over 6 semis blown off the interstate. I have lots of tree branches down

"A wind advisory was in effect for central and northern Iowa for a majority of the day Friday. The National Weather Service compiled a list of peak wind gusts below:

Location Wind Speed
Estherville 61 mph
Mason City 61 mph
Ames 60 mph
Des Moines 60 mph
Marshalltown 59 mph
Iowa Falls 58 mph
Creston 56 mph
Algona 54 mph
Waterloo 52 mph
Oskaloosa 51 mph
Denison 50 mph
Lamoni 48 mph
Fort Dodge 47 mph
Knoxville 46 mph
Ottumwa 45 mph"

sucked here today. My car rocked sitting at the stops signs.

http://www.kcci.com/news/semi-rollov...0-mph/38082086

http://www.kwwl.com/story/31267868/2...le-semi-trucks

85BRAT 97SVX, 2x91 Honda CRX, 91 RT4wd
03Baja
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:36 PM

Car: Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterfan67 View Post
I wouldn't think so either. Keep in mind that most roads are "crowned" to facilitate drainage, and that may explain the slight pull to the right. Do a search on lane wandering in the Gen 4 forum, may be something that helps you out.
And heavily travelled winter roads generally do not behave as they are engineered to do so. Not in Wisconsin weather at least.

@2011 I don't where you are located but here in the the upper Midwest we are in the midst of a wind storm. Above average winds for winter time, with extremely fast moving fronts as evidence by the cloud cover tonight. Don't base your assertions on today, I drove about and hour this afternoon from NNE to SSW and it was somewhat miserable in my Forester.

boxterfan67 likes this.

My other Subarus are Subarus.

You'll have to pry my frameless windows from my cold dead hands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: