Open rear hatch from inside - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011, Outback limited 3.6H
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Open rear hatch from inside

2011 Outback, Is there a way to open the rear hatch from the inside?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 PM

Car: 2016 Outback named Beatrice the 3rd: 2.5i Limited with Eyesight, Crystal White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sned45 View Post
2011 Outback, Is there a way to open the rear hatch from the inside?
Page 9-19 in the manual. Remove the small access panel on the back of the liftgate.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 PM

Car: 2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
...not that I am aware of...

You can't buy happiness but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.

The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:55 AM

Car: 2011 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhiz21 View Post
Page 9-19 in the manual. Remove the small access panel on the back of the liftgate.
Yep like he said. Small about one inch square just inside the latch. There is a small piece of white plastic in there that you move upward to manually open the latch.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just to be clear, the page 9-19 procedure is used to unlock the rear gate, for example, if the battery is dead and/or the power door lock doesn't work, but it doesn't release the door latch and open the door. That still requires using the external handle.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 04:53 AM

Car: 2011 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
Just to be clear, the page 9-19 procedure is used to unlock the rear gate, for example, if the battery is dead and/or the power door lock doesn't work, but it doesn't release the door latch and open the door. That still requires using the external handle.
Take off cover. Move little white lever. Push on gate. It will open. I have done it many times. Only way to open it if you are working on gate and have the gate finisher off. I have an extra switch off of a scrap finisher but sometimes forget to put it in until after I have closed the gate. The button opens the gate electrically. The white lever is directly opening the latch manually.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Thanks John:

My 07 Owners Manual has an almost identical instruction, and it definitely does not release the catch -- all it does is unlock the mechanism so that the external handle will work.

If the 2011 is that much different, I'm surprised that the Owners Manual doesn't reflect it, and instead continues to say to that the lever releases the lock (in place of the keyless entry) and to then open the rear gate from the outside as usual. (Attached is from page 9-19 of the 2011 Owners Manual.)

This isn't the only misleading or incomplete information in the Owners Manual. it's disappointing that these small, but potentially important errors aren't corrected. (Another one, which is in the Owners Manuals since 2005, is that the AWD warning light will flash if the car is driven with a low, flat or different diameter tire. It doesn't.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear gate safety latch.jpg
Views:	7589
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	20671  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011, Outback limited 3.6H
Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try. Has anyone looked at installing a switch inside the back area to open the hatch?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Car: 2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo2 View Post
...not that I am aware of...
...well...I've learned something new about my OB...should have known since they have them on vehicles with a trunk...boy do I feel

You can't buy happiness but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.

The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Well, it appears that if you read the Owners Manual, you wouldn't be any better informed. It doesn't say the hatch can be opened from the inside (which is the original question), only that it can be unlocked from the inside.

Sedans have a trunk release handle in the event someone is trapped inside with no access to the car interior and side doors. It allows for exit without having anyone outside to open the trunk.

With a wagon, this isn't normally necessary because the side doors are accessible and can be opened without using the power lock/unlock system. This is why I understand that my 07 has a manual rear hatch unlock lever (behind a pull-off panel) but still cannot be opened from inside. I'm fascinated to learn that the 2011 system actually enables someone to both manually unlock and open the hatch from inside. So I guess I've learned something new as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in