Front end rattle - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front end rattle

Hi all from the UK. I have a consistent rattle in the front suspension on my 2011 2.5 CVT with 47 k miles, and it's driving me crazy! I have so far changed the front caliper pins and brake pads, front sway bar drop links and the front sway bar bushes, all to no avail. It only really happens on uneven road surfaces like forestry roads, and doesn't clunck over big bumps and holes, just rattles over the uneven surfaces. Has anybody else suffered this and what fixed it? Any suggestions on what to try next? Cheers, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
although I suspect they've been inspected, take a look at the rear bushings for the lower control arms , and the strut tops in the mounts. Even the battery clamp.

could this be duplicated at slow-enough speed for someone to pace the car? If so, maybe the sound could be further located L to R or center.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:56 PM

My experience on my Acura TL Type-S was that at the dealership, they messed up when replacing my Brembo brake pads, by missing a little screw, and it was like that and I had ended up going back many times, replacing new pads, new rotors, like 3, 4 times, and the rattle kept coming, until I complained to corporate, they sent technicians to inspect my Brembo and found out a missing screw and rubber.

So, they refunded many for all the trouble I had over the years, and send a new pair of Brembo.

Sometimes, those who works at the Dealership can mess up your ride just like that
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I will look into the control arm bushings etc and report back. I've replaced the pads etc myself and I didn't have any bits left over!!!
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes View Post
Thanks guys. I will look into the control arm bushings etc and report back. I've replaced the pads etc myself and I didn't have any bits left over!!!
G'day 4eyes!

Could you solve the problem? Mine (2010 2.5i CVT) has also knocking noise from the front. I jacked up the vehicle, checked all the points what can cause knocking, nothing at the wheels...but at the steering rod there is a U joint, that knocks really. I tested it, while the car was on the ground, and I turned the steering wheel left and right... There is a rubber bushing in it, maybe that went wrong? Check that as well.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks lbarnes, will check it out this week if it stops raining....
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT; 98 LGT 5MT
I understand that that rubber dampener in the steering column, like any bushing, will soften with age thereby making some noise and causing the steering to be less responsive.

Perrin makes a lockdown kit for that dampener that must come with gold-plated hardware, for the price. Other companies might have a similar bolt-on solution. That will send more vibration to your hands on the wheel, of course.

Steering Dampener Lockdown for Subarus
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Well I had the car checked over today by my local mechanics after I failed to find anything obvious. They also could not find anything wrong, mechanically A1. The inner shoulder of the front tyres are wearing but even the alignment checked out bang on. Rode with one of the guys in the passenger seat, he heard the noise and thinks it may be tyre noise on broken surfaces. Gonna swap tyres around and see if noise alters or moves. Any other ideas?
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 01:39 PM

inner wear could be from toe adjustment being off or worn tie rods - well, if tie rods are severely worn, toe can change/shift

inner tie rods - under the boots, may be more likely to be worn ?

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 01:57 PM

tie rod videos;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in